The Student Room Group

Ma social work 2014

Hey sorry if there is already a thread. I have applied for MA/MSc Social work for 2014 at University of Leicester, University of Birmingham, University of Warwick. University of Bedfordshire and University of Nottingham. Today I have received an interview for leicester on Friday 29th November and I'm really excited. Yet I am really nervous so I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice about the interview process. I have dyslexia and even though I am currently working at a first level I find work hard if I don't do lots of research and prep. I understand the written exercise is first and this must be passed for me to be interviewed. So I'm wondering what the written exercise is structure etc any help would be appreciated. I've started research about current issues and also been advised to Read David Thompson understanding social work. People have told me I need a good understanding about social work, policies, skills and ethics etc so may help on these topics would be lovely to thanks

Current Manchester student - BSc sociology and criminology

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi I have just come across your post, I am also an applicant for MA Social Work for 2014 I currently study BA Social Studies at University of South Wales. I have had a pending response from Birmingham and have been invited for an interview at Cardiff University on the 13th! Just wanted to know how you are finding the preparation for your interview as it is only in a few days. As I have read in previous forums they ask you why you want to be a social worker? What is meant by empowerment? What is understood about anti-oppressive and anti-discrimination practice. I guess as long as you link your experience to the questions you should be fine. I also read somewhere to remember to include the role of the social worker and recent social work issues. Anyway wish you all the best at your interview! Good Luck :smile:

Original post by cdu778
Hey sorry if there is already a thread. I have applied for MA/MSc Social work for 2014 at University of Leicester, University of Birmingham, University of Warwick. University of Bedfordshire and University of Nottingham. Today I have received an interview for leicester on Friday 29th November and I'm really excited. Yet I am really nervous so I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice about the interview process. I have dyslexia and even though I am currently working at a first level I find work hard if I don't do lots of research and prep. I understand the written exercise is first and this must be passed for me to be interviewed. So I'm wondering what the written exercise is structure etc any help would be appreciated. I've started research about current issues and also been advised to Read David Thompson understanding social work. People have told me I need a good understanding about social work, policies, skills and ethics etc so may help on these topics would be lovely to thanks

Current Manchester student - BSc sociology and criminology
Reply 2
I have a interview for Cardiff as well 13th feb.

ive had one interview today and was surprised at the questions nothing like people have comment on in previous post or forums. Only 4 questions one about stress, one about why that uni can't remember the other two.
Good luck with both your applications
Reply 3
Original post by Abs85
I have a interview for Cardiff as well 13th feb.

ive had one interview today and was surprised at the questions nothing like people have comment on in previous post or forums. Only 4 questions one about stress, one about why that uni can't remember the other two.
Good luck with both your applications

Was you asked about recent social work issues?
Reply 4
Abs85 - Congratulations on your interview! Where was your interview today? Is Cardiff your first choice
ccu778 - some suggested books that may be a help to you, Fook, 2012, A critical approah to practice an Howe, 2009, A brief introduction to Social Work theory is also a good read! :smile: Have you heard anything back off the uni's yet?
Reply 5
I have interviews for all 5 one being tomorrow I have read those books and the gove article now fingers crossed its enough what questions where you asked im hoping for ones like why this uni, empowerment questions etc im dreading any that ask about social work current issues as I really can only find money cuts etc
Reply 6
Original post by cdu778
I have interviews for all 5 one being tomorrow I have read those books and the gove article now fingers crossed its enough what questions where you asked im hoping for ones like why this uni, empowerment questions etc im dreading any that ask about social work current issues as I really can only find money cuts etc

Current issues - admin, adult care bring individualist, poor supervision. There's a lot out there.
Reply 7
Original post by cerismarie
Abs85 - Congratulations on your interview! Where was your interview today? Is Cardiff your first choice
ccu778 - some suggested books that may be a help to you, Fook, 2012, A critical approah to practice an Howe, 2009, A brief introduction to Social Work theory is also a good read! :smile: Have you heard anything back off the uni's yet?

Thanks I got into the place I had an interview for think I'm going to accept.
Reply 8
Original post by Abs85
Thanks I got into the place I had an interview for think I'm going to accept.

did you have that today? if not how long did it take you to hear back where was the interview I understand Leicester and Coventry have already started to give out offers
Reply 9
Congratulations on the offer fab news! :smile: what uni is it x
Reply 10
Portsmouth heard back last Friday so really quickly
Reply 11
Original post by cdu778

I've sent you some info to help on a pm
Reply 12
That's good you heard back so quickly! Good Luck with your interview tomorrow! x
Reply 13
Original post by Abs85
I've sent you some info to help on a pm

thank you so much it was really helpful I think i'm just stressing as warwick is my first choice and it just happens to be my first interview as Leicester had to rearrange.
well done on your offer bet your so glad you have one are you still a student or have you graduated if your still a student are you having the worries that some of us are sharing now that he had to get a grade its a must. I'm having this and spoke to others and they are to I know I need a 2.1 and I know its do able but each assignment I submit my heart goes like panic mode I haven't a clue how much worse it will go if I get a conditional offer. How did the interview stage go for you what you sent me was that done before the interview?
Reply 14
Original post by cdu778
thank you so much it was really helpful I think i'm just stressing as warwick is my first choice and it just happens to be my first interview as Leicester had to rearrange.
well done on your offer bet your so glad you have one are you still a student or have you graduated if your still a student are you having the worries that some of us are sharing now that he had to get a grade its a must. I'm having this and spoke to others and they are to I know I need a 2.1 and I know its do able but each assignment I submit my heart goes like panic mode I haven't a clue how much worse it will go if I get a conditional offer. How did the interview stage go for you what you sent me was that done before the interview?

I have a unconditional offer as I have the grades already and at present work in social care.

I had to do the assignment before the interview.

It can be scary going to an interview just relax and be yourself they are looking for confidence and will ask you questions like your beliefs, how you handle stress, difficult situations.
Reply 15
Hi I submitted my personal statement for MA social work last week and so far have two interviews in the next few weeks! Anybody have any tips for the interview on the kind of thing they ask? Really nervous!
Reply 16
hey guys ,whats popping! :smile: am new to this wonderful site..i have a written test and interview invitation at UEL and Gold Smith ...I know this might have been on the tread already,but plz does anyone know what likely to expect ...would be grateful....
Reply 17
Can I just ask, what is the structure of the written test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Hi
I have an interview for Cardiff on 13th Feb also.
I've had a letter asking to prepare by reading a recent piece of academic literature on social work.

What sort of stuff have you decided to use?
Reply 19
I also have an interview on the 13th, I have chosen an article from the British journal of social work. I was wondering what preparation you were doing for the care codes of practice??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending