The Student Room Group

UCAS 5 choices general advice needed

Hello all, my first post and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm about to finalise my choices on my UCAS application and my predictions are ABB. My definite choices are:

Loughborough AAB/ABB
Leicester ABB
Hull 300 points (BBB)

I would also like to include:

Birmingham AAA/AAB
Manchester AAA/AAB

But I was wondering if the two Russell Group choices would be a waste of 2 choices and if I'd be better off lowering my sights. It's a History course by the way. Thanks in advance everyone!
What did you get at AS?
Reply 2
ABCC, History, Maths, Chemistry and PE in that order.
Reply 3
Your other choices are safe - it's fine to have a stretch choice or two. If you get offers it may even inspire you to exceed your predictions.

If you don't get offers, then you get another chance through Extra. Plus there's always clearing in August.

Go for it!
Reply 4
Thanks a lot, appreciate the feedback. I think I will go for those 5 choices that I posted and keep my fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Original post by Stewart365
Thanks a lot, appreciate the feedback. I think I will go for those 5 choices that I posted and keep my fingers crossed!

.... and study hard! :cool:
Reply 6
be ambitious! i had BBBD at AS. i applied to king's college london, bristol, manchester, leeds and sussex. i didn't get into bristol but i'm at king's now. all my offers were 3 As which was terrifying but the risk paid off. you'll probably get all your offers. good luck.
Manchester is way too ambitious, and probably Birmingham as well. History is a very competitive subject and for both these courses, they will get hundreds of applicants with AAA and above - they dont need to make offers to someone with much lower predictions to fill the course. Be aware that lower grade set for both these Unis is for 'contextual offers' (those from disadvantaged backgrounds') and the standard offer will be AAA.

A Uni like Sussex (AAB) would be a safer bet or even two solid ABB choices instead to give you more chance of having offers to choose from for your Firm choice, as at the moment that looks likely only for Leicester and Hull. Look at Kent, Keele, Goldsmiths (London) or at combined subject courses - or at something like 'American History with a Year Abroad' at Essex.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Again, thanks for the advice. So would you recommend dropping Manchester and instead adding an AAB or another ABB? Would that then give me a rounded set of choices?
Reply 9
Again, thanks for the advice. So would you recommend dropping Manchester and instead adding an AAB or another ABB? Would that then give me a rounded set of choices?

To be on the extra safe side, I personally would say drop either Manchester or Birmingham and replace it with another uni requiring ABB as History is soo competitive and you don't want to end up with 3 rejections lol.
But if you have a great personal statement and reference then you never know.. Up to you whether you want to take the risk :-)
If you plan on working hard I say go for it! It's really great to go to a Russell group so just be motivated and make sure you get the grades required :-) if you really want to go there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I think I'll drop Manchester and add another ABB. 1 choice above my predictions, 3 choices level with my choices and 1 below sounds like a good mix. Thanks :smile:
I think I'll drop Manchester and add another ABB. 1 choice above my predictions, 3 choices level with my choices and 1 below sounds like a good mix. Thanks :smile:

Sounds like a good plan - and one that will give you more realistic (ie. achievable) offers from which to choose a realistic Firm & Insurance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending