The Student Room Group

EPQ Help?

Hi,
I'm currently doing an EPQ project on the horror genre in films and games.
So far my question has been:
What makes horror games scary?
Then
What are the most important aspects of the horror genre and what makes us frightened of it?

I was wondering if anyone could help me think of a more detailed, formal investigation title.
I was also wondering if anyone could suggest things for me to research to help me with my project?
Reply 1
"An investigation into the key fear inducing components of horror movies" Perhaps?

If I was to go about doing this areas which I would aim to cover are the evolution of horror films where you do a bit history to the modern day. This is a pretty thorough list of directors to be mentioning: http://www.imdb.com/list/2V-A-SulOqA/
I'm not too sure about horror games as I'm not a huge gamer but I assume you mean things like slenderman? With EPQ the more specific you make a subject the better they like it.

I would investigate what these movies had in common and how they differed to try and come up with some key components that many films had in common.

I would also include your own study. Trust me the examiners eat that **** up. For your it could be a simple one page questionnaire which you get about 20 people to fill out including things such as "What is the scariest horror movie in your opinion?" and have them rate components such as suspense, sudden noises, gore, etc from "Very scary" to "Not at all scary".

Personally I'd love if you investigated different themes in the questionnaire (I love horror movies) like if people find psychological horror scarier than supernatural, zombies vs werewolves vs aliens vs someone who just likes killing people. If you made a questionnaire and posted it on here I'd happily respond. :smile:

As a little references check I got an A in my extended project this year. My topic was "Where do prejudices against individuals come from?" (the title was better than that but I've forgotten it now!) with a psychological and sociological perspective.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest