The Student Room Group

Maths at GCSE to A-level

Hi everyone, I am in Yr 11 and I am thinking of doing A-level Maths since I am currently doing it at GCSE and am hoping for an A* :smile:. I was just wondering how big the gap is between GCSE and A-level as my teacher said that there are some people who may find it good at GCSE and then struggle at A-level. Anyone got any advice???:confused:
For AS Mathematics

C1 (the first unit/exam you will take), is at the same level as an A* at GCSE, just a little more extended.
Statistics is also the same as the GCSE Statistics course. Nothing conceptually difficult.
C2 is an extension of GCSE. It may not be difficult to understand, but you may need to practise a little more as it requires more attention than C1. However, if you are naturally good at maths, C2 should be a breeze.

All in all, I believe that AS Mathematics is one of the easiest subjects to get an A in, if you have a natural talent for Maths.

For A2 Mathematics

The gap between AS and A2 is larger than the gap between GCSE and AS. A2 Mathematics is a little more demanding but shouldn't be a problem if you practise past papers. C3 and C4 are about the same in difficulty (this however is debatable). I absolutely hated Mechanics, even though it isn't really difficult to learn.

Overall, A-level Maths isn't too hard to understand, In the exam, they use easy concepts and use it in questions which seem to be complex at first, but are do-able with practice.
Reply 2
Yes id do A-Level maths, however Quotient differentiation is a pain in the derriere.
Reply 3
Its not much a great jump, its rather gradual. If you're aiming for an A* then you're fine. I have friends in my class who've gotten Bs and are doing well.

The most important advice I can give you is that when you've finished school, enjoy yourself but carry on reading what you did at GCSE. I didn't and I was like 'I don't remember doing this?' a few times :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I will do A-level maths now and hopefully get that A*:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest