The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
I've got a bit of a challenge on my hands. I've been offered a job in Mexico. The team have played 6 of 16 games in the Closing Stage and they've got 1 point. Unless I turn things around ASAP, I think I'm going to be playing in a relegation playoff. The league's got 17 teams, and relegation is based on performance over the past three seasons. The team facing almost certain relegation have an average of 0.36 points per game but they've only played in one season and a good run could save them. My team have an average of 0.80, and the next team up have an average of 0.89, both from three seasons, so I think I'm in a bit of a tight spot...and in the past two seasons, the team in the relegation playoff has lost, so things aren't exactly in my favour.
Reply 7981
Bah, game crashed when I tried to start the first match...not sure it would have been a good stint in Mexico, either, in hindsight - I had a crapload of grey players because so many of my guys were ineligible or injured, I couldn't sign anyone until July 20th (not even free transfers of unattached players), and the side I took control of was a B team of Cruz Azul so even if I did sign anyone half-decent the A team would probably pinch them for themselves :frown:
Reply 7982
Geez that was a nerve racking match. I'm playing as DR Congo in 2034 so around comes the African Cup of Nations Qualifiers, I have a good run:

Ivory Coast 3-1 DR Congo (Bad start)
DR Congo 5-0 Rwanda
DR Congo 2-0 Central African Republic
DR Congo 4-1 Ivory Coast (One of my best results in the game as far as I'm concerned)
Rwanda 0-2 DR Congo

And going into the last game of the group me and Ivory Coast are both on 12 points, the only thing that puts me top of the group is that my goal difference is higher than there's. We go into the matches knowing we are both expecting to win and that (as far as I knew at this stage) there's only the one spot to qualify in in the group, 1st.

I get a 3-0 win over Central African Republic and Ivory Coast destroy Rwanda 7-0 luckily this means I have a goal difference of +14, they go to +13, I've done it, close but I'd done it. I then look at the tables and apparently Ivory Coast have qualified as well, I then look at the rules, "Best 2nd placed team go through" So all that worrying for nothing, though still quite an achievement to top a group with Ivory Coast in it as DR Congo.
I got my ass kicked by Mexico. I didn't play too bad on defense (they scored the first goal from a header after a free kick and the other one just before the end of the game) but I had almost no production on offense. I played 4-3-1-2 and I was either playing too wide or lacking another played in the middle. I just couldn't get to the Mexican penalty area. I usually lost the ball because there was no one to pass to. Next time I'll either play with a DM or two MCs.
OMG...

I...just won...every competition my team played in.

Nearly 15 years and 4 months in the making for myself and Spurs...

1) Won the Charity Shield, thrashing the 2nd best team in the Premier League (Man Utd).

2) Won the League Cup with my youngsters/second-string.

3) Won the Premier League with 3 games left (considering I had a goal difference that required a 25-goal swing to beat), fighting off shock title contenders West Ham as well as Man Utd and sneaky Chelsea.

4) Won the FA Cup, including beating Chelsea, who we dominated but lost to on penalties in the final last year, on penalties after a similar story in the semis.

5) Most storybook of all - The Champions League, after years of under-performance and early knockouts in the first KO round.

Beat last year's Spanish Treble winners Valencia in the first knockout round, then the team who knocked us out two years ago (Nice), then Barcelona in the semis, who showed us we weren't ready last year by beating us 4-1 I think.

Then beat Man Utd 1-0, but it could've been 3-0, 1-1, 2-1...

WOOP WOOP!!!!

All this in an African Nations year (my star player, who finished the season with most goals and assists, my star left back and two of my three January world class signings were African).

And having to drop my keeper a few games into the season for conceding so much, only to come back to him by dropping the other keeper for too many mistakes in April or March.

Phew.

Now to look forward to the 2022 World Cup and the 2010 World Cup...

And wonder if there's anyone to buy with what may well now be a £400m+ transfer budget...

I can post this as the season's over so no jinxing is to be had. Unless we get relegated next season or, worse, my computer or game dies. Please don't. :frown:
Reply 7985
African Nations brings back bad memories, losing on penalties in the final, all I wanted was a little glory for my DR Congo side before they started there WC Campaign =[ also 2022 world cup? pfft, mine was the 2038 world cup :O
BillV3
also 2022 world cup? pfft, mine was the 2038 world cup :O

Are you saying that's when you won the World Cup? If so, I have 4 World Cups to try for it then. Although I didn't qualify this year - I'm managing Latvia. >_>
Reply 7987
I've never won a trophy ever in FM, I've reached the league cup final in every single save and the FA cup final twice and lost all of the matches and came 2nd last season
I keep meaning to start a new game on FM, but I can never decide one agood team to be. If I'm CHelsea it just seems pointless as I have lods of money and still **** up anyway. But if I'ma lwoer division club, I don't know anything about them and find it hard to care.

>.>
My US team won 2 in a row: 3-0 against El Salvador and 5-0 against Trinidad & Tobago (could have been 6-0 but Donovan missed a penalty). The team look far better than in the first game against Mexico but there are still some thing I need to figure out. Not sure whether I should use counter-attack or not...
Reply 7990
ozzyoscy
Are you saying that's when you won the World Cup? If so, I have 4 World Cups to try for it then. Although I didn't qualify this year - I'm managing Latvia. >_>

No it's the world cup I qualified for - I'm managing the Democratic Republic of the Congo :cool:
Reply 7991
OceanInTheSky
I keep meaning to start a new game on FM, but I can never decide one agood team to be. If I'm CHelsea it just seems pointless as I have lods of money and still **** up anyway. But if I'ma lwoer division club, I don't know anything about them and find it hard to care.

>.>

I'm currently playing a very enjoyable game with Toulouse on FM 09, 2nd in the league after 17 games :biggrin:
Damn, only 1-1 against Costa Rica. FM2010 is so confusing, I liked FM2009 more, they changed too much, I don't understand half of the tactics options...
Reply 7993
What young (under 23) right-backs can people recommend in FM2010 other than Davide Santon? I'm Man City so money generally isn't an issue, but don't particularly want to spend over £20m, i could have bought Rafinha for £21m but didn't think he was worth it..
Yoghurt
What young (under 23) right-backs can people recommend in FM2010 other than Davide Santon? I'm Man City so money generally isn't an issue, but don't particularly want to spend over £20m, i could have bought Rafinha for £21m but didn't think he was worth it..

An American guy named Hall is pretty good, check him out. He's 20 or 21 I think. If you want a star, he might not be good enough for you though.
WTF??

Note: Spain were defending champions and Morocco beat Brazil twice: 2-1 (if I recall) in the group stage and penalties after 0-0 in the 3rd place playoff. This was the third final out of four international competitions in a row (2 WC, 2 Euro Championship) that Turkey have reached...and lost.

Holland were immense in qualifying too.

Glad I wasn't managing in that World Cup. Unsurprisingly, there were 12 vacancies.

Japan job might be interesting...
Reply 7996
Heh, looks like both Turkey and Japan were playing like Greece in 2004. Certainly a rather....interesting run of results, though :biggrin:

ozzyoscy
Glad I wasn't managing in that World Cup. Unsurprisingly, there were 12 vacancies.
I wouldn't put it past this year's world cup to have a similar result. We already know one casualty is guaranteed (even if France hadn't been so abysmal, Domenech was going after the tournament), Capello is rumoured to be resigning or getting the axe if England fail to advance from the group stage for the first time in 52 years, there are likely to be others under similar pressure (Lippi springs to mind, and Del Bosque would certainly join that list if Spain somehow fail to get a result against Honduras tomorrow)
Dalimyr
Heh, looks like both Turkey and Japan were playing like Greece in 2004. Certainly a rather....interesting run of results, though :biggrin:

Peru were ****ing insane though. What drugs were they taking to qualify instead of Holland, beat France and only lose 1-0 in extra time against double-finalists? >_>

I wouldn't put it past this year's world cup to have a similar result. We already know one casualty is guaranteed (even if France hadn't been so abysmal, Domenech was going after the tournament), Capello is rumoured to be resigning or getting the axe if England fail to advance from the group stage for the first time in 52 years, there are likely to be others under similar pressure (Lippi springs to mind, and Del Bosque would certainly join that list if Spain somehow fail to get a result against Honduras tomorrow)

I think it's best to wait until the end. England may well play 5-4-1 and suddenly be great for the rest of the tournament, Spain have only played one game and Domenech was already going (jumping before being pushed though).

We may still see a standard amount of sackings.

Shockingly, I think Japan's manager was sacked. I think that's what it said in the loading screen anyway, I'll just pretend he resigned in glory...
I really screwed up one of my more promising games in FM08. I started off unemployed and got the St Pauli job in the German second division. The minimum expectation was to survive relegation. I acquired my usual set of affordable, young talents who developed well throughout the season and helped me to a 4th place finish (just missing out on promotion unfortunately). Right after the 2008 African Cup, I was offered the Senegal job. We were expected to qualify for the WC with a relatively straightforward group, with the exception of Morocco. We won 3-1 at their place, they won 1-0 at ours, and both teams got maximum points from the other matches. We just about edged them out on head to head. Strangely enough, my first 8 or so goals for Senegal were either scored by S Camara or H Camara. When we finally got our first non-Camara scorer, it turned out to be Diomansy Kamara.

Anyway, St Pauli's season was quite up and down and we ended the in 13th, which was below expectations but well clear of relegation so my job was still very secure. However, I was starting to get quite bored of the German second division by this point and wanted to try my luck elsewhere. I let my contract run out and started applying for any vacant positions. To my horror, I kept being rejected. I must've had over 100 rejections! Granted a fair number of them were for ridiculously good clubs (Arsenal, Valencia, etc) but I was very frustrated and just wanted something. I ended up just sitting out club management in the 3rd season and waited for the 2010 African Cup to start.

We were drawn against Ghana, Mali and Zimbabwe. We had 2 draws and a win. The end result was Mali getting through ahead of us due to a superior goal difference of merely 1 goal. Needless to say I was sacked after the competition was over, which meant I couldn't see the job through to the WC after all that hard work. Really took the piss. And I was unemployed again. I went on holiday until a job was offered. Towards the end of the season, I took the job at Istres, a French second division team, taking over from one Raymond Domenech who had gone on to bigger and better things. The team was in a good position in the league, but I found it really difficult getting into it with just a few games left. There wasn't enough time for me to work out what particular tactics to employ for these players and so on, so it was very frustrating. I ended up quitting and deleting the whole saved game after just 2 matches with Istres.
Reply 7999
m:)ckel
I really screwed up one of my more promising games in FM08. I started off unemployed and got the St Pauli job in the German second division. The minimum expectation was to survive relegation. I acquired my usual set of affordable, young talents who developed well throughout the season and helped me to a 4th place finish (just missing out on promotion unfortunately). Right after the 2008 African Cup, I was offered the Senegal job. We were expected to qualify for the WC with a relatively straightforward group, with the exception of Morocco. We won 3-1 at their place, they won 1-0 at ours, and both teams got maximum points from the other matches. We just about edged them out on head to head. Strangely enough, my first 8 or so goals for Senegal were either scored by S Camara or H Camara. When we finally got our first non-Camara scorer, it turned out to be Diomansy Kamara.

Anyway, St Pauli's season was quite up and down and we ended the in 13th, which was below expectations but well clear of relegation so my job was still very secure. However, I was starting to get quite bored of the German second division by this point and wanted to try my luck elsewhere. I let my contract run out and started applying for any vacant positions. To my horror, I kept being rejected. I must've had over 100 rejections! Granted a fair number of them were for ridiculously good clubs (Arsenal, Valencia, etc) but I was very frustrated and just wanted something. I ended up just sitting out club management in the 3rd season and waited for the 2010 African Cup to start.

We were drawn against Ghana, Mali and Zimbabwe. We had 2 draws and a win. The end result was Mali getting through ahead of us due to a superior goal difference of merely 1 goal. Needless to say I was sacked after the competition was over, which meant I couldn't see the job through to the WC after all that hard work. Really took the piss. And I was unemployed again. I went on holiday until a job was offered. Towards the end of the season, I took the job at Istres, a French second division team, taking over from one Raymond Domenech who had gone on to bigger and better things. The team was in a good position in the league, but I found it really difficult getting into it with just a few games left. There wasn't enough time for me to work out what particular tactics to employ for these players and so on, so it was very frustrating. I ended up quitting and deleting the whole saved game after just 2 matches with Istres.

:console: I know how that feels. I deleted my Arsenal game where I'd won the CL for the first time ever just a couple of days ago (my best FM game ever, too).

Latest