The Student Room Group

70MPH entering dual carriageways, HELP? Test soon.

I've pretty much done everything. I'm not the best driver but I can drive pretty flawlessly anywhere between 0 to 50MPH without requiring help or advice. I've done all my maneuvers and can do them at pass standard.

I have good control at all speeds (0 to 70MPH).

I just have a few problems entering dual carriageways. Thing is, I don't know if I am entering a 70MPH dual carriageway or not until it is too late. I obviously need to notice it very early on in order for me to build up my speed.

I also don't know if I am travelling on a slip road or not. This is my biggest problem. If I am in a slip road, I will obviously need to move to the right, but how do I know if I am in a slip road or not?

If I gain these two skills, I will probably pass my test and get it over with since I have had many lessons as I am not a good driver.
[ ] Anticipate that I am going into a 70MPH zone VERY early on.
[ ] Know whether I am in a slip road or a lane.

That's it. Which signs do I need to look for?

Please be very specific and treat me like I am an idiot so that I can learn.

Thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The speed limit on a dual carriageway will be 70mph after you pass this sign:
671.jpg
or where there is no street lighting.

Beware that the national speed limit will reduce to 60mph if the road becomes single carriageway where the central reservation disappears. The warning sign in advance of this will look like this:520.jpg
Speed limits lower than this may apply and will be shown by the traditional red ring with a number. Roads lit with street lighting where there are no speed limit signs shown for some distance will always be limited to 30mph.

Generally, where the road on which you are driving approaches a dual carriageway broadly parallel to it, assume that your lane will taper to a point and prepare to join the lane next to you. When this happens, you will see the road marking either side of you narrowing together and the markings on your immediate right will be very short with short gaps. At night, you will see green reflective studs on your right to help you.

In the event that your lane does not taper, but continues as a lane indefinitely, then the lane markings will not narrow, the markings will remain with large gaps between the dashes, and at night the reflective studs on your right will be white. There may even be a painted white arrow pointing straight forwards, like this: Arrow.gif
Even more helpful will be sign like this: 868.1P.gif but this isn't always provided every time.

When you pass your test and drive on motorways with wider two-lane slip roads, you may come across signs such as this:874.jpg The lane configurations may differ, but in this example. driving in the right hand lane on the slip road means that your lane will merge into lane 2 of the motorway, so you must pay sharp attention and prepare to merge in safely. Approaching in the left lane of the slip road in this example, means you can relax somewhat as the lane will simply continue onwards without much effort required. Always pay attention to these signs wherever you see them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
That is some really good in depth advice from Advisor. Just bear in mind that in Scotland they use the normal speed limit sign for 70 mph as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending