The Student Room Group

Its not fair, im fat he's thin :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

The fact that people being supportive and offering to help you during a difficult period in your life made you resent them and resent yourself, says far more about you as a person than it does about 'people like me'.

Weight loss isn't hindered by people like me, it's hindered by those that sugar coat everything in the interest of being 'nice' and by those that make excuses for their own shortcomings and blame everybody else for their own problems.

If somebody telling you that you need to lose a little weight makes you want to go and buy doughnuts, you're the one hindering your own weight loss, not the other person.

The thing about doughnuts was a generic example, not one relevant to me personally.

I don't make excuses. I've already told you, I was lazy and stubborn and I didn't care. There is a point where being "supportive and offering to help" is just interfering and sticking your nose in. Of course someone will resent you if you try to force something on them which they say they don't want!

Quite frankly, if any of my friends had pushed beyond a certain point, we would not be friends any more. Being supportive sometimes is about telling someone what they want to hear. You don't have to sugar-coat it. If someone's bum does "look big in this", then tell them. If they ask you for an opinion, or for assistance, give it. If you know they want to hear that they're fine, pretty and thin, you don't have to tell them that. But neither do you have to give them your opinion at every possible opportunity and force what YOU want for them down their throat.

Whether you want them to be healthy for themselves, or healthy for you, wait until THEY want to be healthy.

PS. I'm sorry if I seem really angry. I think you're misunderstanding my point, because largely I agree with the idea of offering people with any kind of health problem a chance to recognise it and do something about it. I just get the impression that you don't think people who actively ignore that chance should be allowed to do so.
Reply 81
Threads like this make me angry - you have access to a fellow human cardio machine..... just eat less and love more :smile:
Original post by Sherlock-05

but we eat the exact SAME things! !
I'm not losing weight.....im even gaining weight!!
He doesn't gain an ounce.

I'll put some ballpark numbers on what others have said. You said your boyfriend is thin so I've assumed he's 150 lbs at 5 ft 10. A male aged 21 with those characteristics has a BMR of 1746.7 calories per day.

I then took that number, changed the other info to 20, female, 5 ft 3, and used trial and error. A 204 lb woman with those characteristics has a BMR of 1744.5, so slightly less.

Obviously BMR isn't the end of the story as it doesn't include exercise but those figures make the point. A 5ft 10 man will be skinny consuming the same amount of calories as an obese 5 ft 3 woman.
Well it's clear OP's attitude needs to change before any weight loss can take place. Someone was right when they said it's a mental thing but that means they have a choice. It's about listening to advice, determination and not seeking an easy way out.

OP you would rather starve yourself than discipline yourself with a good diet and exercise. When you get to the point where you're obese, you need to exercise because dieting will only lower your energy intake. It will not help you increase your metabolism, something which can only be done through exercise. It's the only way to keep the weight off long term while still enjoying some kind of normal eating habits.

Quick Reply

Latest