The Student Room Group

Changing your firm choice to your backup on results day.

I was wondering if on results day you get the grades you want but you changed your mind and want to go to your back up uni instead of your firm choice would this be possible?
Or has your back up uni offer gone once you get the grades you needed for your firm choice?
Reply 1
I think we're not allowed to do that full stop, under whatever circumstances. Even if for whatever reason your back-up has higher requirements and you meet that, you still have to choose your firm. Choose wisely
No, because the minute your firm place is made unconditional as a result of your getting the required grades, which usually (in the absence of any complications) has already happened by the time you get your results, your insurance place has disappeared. There is no longer a place for you.
So make sure that when you make your Firm and Insurance choices next Easter they really are what you want.

Every year, lots of applicants decide F&Is far too early. And then discover its a nightmare trying to unpick their decision - or that they cant change it at all.

There is no advantage whatsoever with making F&I choices until you have to.
Waiting, thinking, revisiting Unis etc and then making an informed decision that you are 100% happy with really is far better than thinking 'first one in school to make a decision is the winner'.
Reply 4
Thanks all! I was afraid of this. It's just cause I want to apply to an access programme where they offer lower entry requirements but you have to put it as your firm offer (understandably. They are being very generous). But I'm just not 100% sure if this is the uni I want I was kind of hoping for some chance of a different uni for my firm and having it as a back up. Although that would seem very ungrateful!
Original post by Jess_1324
Thanks all! I was afraid of this. It's just cause I want to apply to an access programme where they offer lower entry requirements but you have to put it as your firm offer (understandably. They are being very generous). But I'm just not 100% sure if this is the uni I want I was kind of hoping for some chance of a different uni for my firm and having it as a back up. Although that would seem very ungrateful!

Sorry not to be able to help.:frown:
Reply 6
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Sorry not to be able to help.:frown:

You were all a lot of help! Made sure that I have to think very carefully about my firm choice
You were all a lot of help! Made sure that I have to think very carefully about my firm choice

Good luck. :smile:
I was wondering if on results day you get the grades you want but you changed your mind and want to go to your back up uni instead of your firm choice would this be possible?
Or has your back up uni offer gone once you get the grades you needed for your firm choice?

You would do far better to make the right choice beforehand. On results day, you'll only be holding a single offer, and you'll be into clearing if you reject it.
The uni's will have had the results for several days before you see them, and they'll already know who is coming their way, either as firm or as backup. Those with spaces to fill will also have made plans to fill those places (eg, clearing or head-hunting), so you'll only stand a chance of changing if your backup has spaces to fill through clearing, and if you move quickly enough.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending