The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University Of Manchester Visit Day - Interviews Maths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Arsenal121
How was everyone dressed? Cos ders nothing on the interview email about dress code

There were ppl wearing suits and ppl wearing jeans... Ppl wearing suits looked a little off and ppl wearing jeans looked a little too casual.
I would say wear jeans and a nice button down shirt or something. Maybe even add a blazer for a little edge.
As a girl I wore a button down shirt with a green sweater and a pencil skirt... Smart but casual
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 21
Original post by Faye_m
There were ppl wearing suits and ppl wearing jeans... Ppl wearing suits looked a little off and ppl wearing jeans looked a little too casual.
I would say wear jeans and a nice button down shirt or something. Maybe even add a blazer for a little edge.
As a girl I wore a button down shirt with a green sweater and a pencil skirt... Smart but casual

Oh alright thanks alot :biggrin:
Very helpful thread, thanks OP.

Anyone there on the 5th Feb?
Reply 23
i've just had a letter to attend an interview, it doesn't say on the letter that there is a small maths test? does that mean i won't have to do one? or does everybody have to do one? also, what kind of maths does it cover?
Reply 24
Original post by aaaarroonnn
Very helpful thread, thanks OP.

Anyone there on the 5th Feb?

I got mine on 5th march
All I have received is the email inviting me to attend the visit day/interview, nothing via post or track, is this normal?

Also, in line with Deanog1990 above, should I expect to have to sit some form of maths test? Or is this more likely to be in the form of a few questions in the interview?

Thanks
Original post by Arsenal121
I got mine on 5th march

March? That seems rather late considering the deadline for giving out offers is the end of March, can only assume you impressed and they don't really need to consider you too deeply? Good luck
Reply 27
I just got an email asking me to go down for an interview and a 'small maths test'. I applied for Engineering with a Foundation Year (I'm an access student). Could anyone give me an idea of what to expect for the maths test? I worry that it might include questions about things we haven't studied on our course yet! Thanks.
Reply 28
Anyone there on 29th jan. I got biomed interview
Reply 29
Are they likely to ask maths questions on the core module or more advanced stuff??
Reply 30
I've got an interview tomorrow, anyone else going tomorrow?
Reply 31
Original post by Faye_m
Does anyone know how long the decision takes?? I was there yesterday and I'm dying to know as it's my first choice!

Hey Faye, Ive got my interview next week, could you let me know what happened in yours , what did they ask etc, the process? :smile:
Help lol
Reply 32
Original post by TheActuary
I have applied to manchester to study Mathematics & Actuarial Science. All the previous threads I've come across are out dated, before 2010. I wanted to know what to expect at the interview and anything I should know before hand. I've heard that it is fairly relaxed and informal and a majority of people are likely to get an offer who attend the visit day. I've got my interview next wednesday so if anybody has already attended one, what happened, what was asked?

hey! I have my interview for AS and Maths on wednesday! hope your interview went well! I'm just wondering what kind of questions did they ask you? And if they asked you some maths questions, what were they on? (like C1/C2/C3/C4/S1 etc???)

thanks!
Reply 33
Hey guys,

Having helped run the UCAS admissions days for two and a half years for the School of Maths, I thought I'd share some advice.

Dress Code:

You can wear whatever you like. My tip would be to dress as you would on your first day of university. So wear something nice, but not outrageous. You want them to remember you for your mathematical aptitude, not how ridiculous you can look.

The Interview:

The interviewer's job is to see if you are a good fit for the maths department at The University of Manchester. This means that you have to be able to cope with independent study and have an aptitude for maths.

Even if you don't know how to answer the question at hand, pause, take a deep breath, and then explain how you would go about answering the question. Also, remember that the interviewer is guiding the interview, so try not to go off on a tangent or waffle too much.

It's also important that you brush up on C1, C2 and FP1 as these are the modules they will expect you have taken by the point you've come in for interview. Of course you could revise all your modules, but this isn't practical.

Also, make sure you know your personal statement back to front and you have a few questions for your interviewer. If you've got any mathematical curiosities that you would like to share with them then do so - it goes a long way to showing your interest in mathematics.

Final Bits:

On the day of your interview, remember to be calm, relaxed and take the opportunity to learn as much about Manchester as you can, as you may very well be living there for the next three years. Also, think of some questions for the students showing you around. It's their job to answer your questions.

Cheers

Darren
Reply 34
Original post by DPLSK
Hey guys,

Having helped run the UCAS admissions days for two and a half years for the School of Maths, I thought I'd share some advice.

Dress Code:

You can wear whatever you like. My tip would be to dress as you would on your first day of university. So wear something nice, but not outrageous. You want them to remember you for your mathematical aptitude, not how ridiculous you can look.

The Interview:

The interviewer's job is to see if you are a good fit for the maths department at The University of Manchester. This means that you have to be able to cope with independent study and have an aptitude for maths.

Even if you don't know how to answer the question at hand, pause, take a deep breath, and then explain how you would go about answering the question. Also, remember that the interviewer is guiding the interview, so try not to go off on a tangent or waffle too much.

It's also important that you brush up on C1, C2 and FP1 as these are the modules they will expect you have taken by the point you've come in for interview. Of course you could revise all your modules, but this isn't practical.

Also, make sure you know your personal statement back to front and you have a few questions for your interviewer. If you've got any mathematical curiosities that you would like to share with them then do so - it goes a long way to showing your interest in mathematics.

Final Bits:

On the day of your interview, remember to be calm, relaxed and take the opportunity to learn as much about Manchester as you can, as you may very well be living there for the next three years. Also, think of some questions for the students showing you around. It's their job to answer your questions.

Cheers

Darren

thank you so much! this is really helpful :smile: I don't do further maths so I dont know any of FP1, do you think this will be a problem for me in the interview?
Reply 35
Rs396
thank you so much! this is really helpful :smile: I don't do further maths so I dont know any of FP1, do you think this will be a problem for me in the interview?

Sorry for the delay. I'm not on TSR as much as I used to be.

I don't think it'll be a huge problem, but they may decide to explore some Further Maths concepts with you. They may talk about something else entirely.

There's no point learning all of FP1 for your interview. If you've got a textbook handy then a quick flick through wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't do any more than that.

Cheers

Darren
Reply 36
Original post by Strangey
I've copied and pasted this directly from another thread, but it should answer your questions pretty much:
Whilst we can't say exactly what you'll be asked (that's not fair on everyone else) we can give you some general pointers. Obviously the most important questions are: Why Manchester? Why this degree? What do you like about the degree? Where do you see yourself in the future? This will hold true for any degree at any university, so make sure you have some answers prepared. They say you can wear what you want - it means wear a suit (pretty much everyone else will be wearing one) or something very smart casual like collared formal shirt and chinos (think doctor!) Interviews aren't the time to be slopping around!

You'll be given a tour and the opportunity to speak to some current or former students, make sure you ask some useful questions about being a student (timetabling, workload, accommodation, nights out, part-time work etc) which can help you make up your mind. If you have the tour and chat before your interview, use some of the information you've picked up in the interview - e.g. if you're asked "why Manchester?" give your response and then say that you like the facilities or that the students said good things about the availability of jobs or something. Make sure you've re-read your PS and be prepared to answer a few questions; you may not know the answer, but they'll be looking to see how you approach the situation.

Interviews like this are never as bad as people make out, so don't worry and good luck!

Thank you you sir/ma'am are a godsend

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending