The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

University Of Manchester Visit Day - Interviews Maths

I have applied to manchester to study Mathematics & Actuarial Science. All the previous threads I've come across are out dated, before 2010. I wanted to know what to expect at the interview and anything I should know before hand. I've heard that it is fairly relaxed and informal and a majority of people are likely to get an offer who attend the visit day. I've got my interview next wednesday so if anybody has already attended one, what happened, what was asked?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've just got back from the Maths and Physics interviews today. They said to us that, as we were all there for an interview, we had already got an offer. But i also got the feeling that it is very Department specific at Manchester...

After a short talk and tour of the buildings, we went for a 30min interview in which a tutor asked a few questions about where i live, things on my Personal Statement, and about my school before giving me a couple of Physics questions which he supported me through. Very informal and relaxed but they did stress the importance of having a good interview as it will support our application if we just miss their offer.

Sorry thats not much help :smile: Other than the usual 'keep calm' and 'reread your Personal Statement', theres not much i can suggest. Oh, other than try to talk to some of the other potential applicants - it was really awkward between most of us today until i found someone to talk to!!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Just saw your reply!, What type of clothes were people wearing to the interview? and what type of questions did they ask you apart from the basic why manchester and why maths?

I've read a lot of threads etc to try and get a feel for the interview and I've been preparing for it as well, but nobody has said any specific questions that they ask!

Also, was it just one person that interviewed you or were there a few tutors?

Thanks for your help!
Reply 3
Original post by TheActuary
Just saw your reply!, What type of clothes were people wearing to the interview? and what type of questions did they ask you apart from the basic why manchester and why maths?

I've read a lot of threads etc to try and get a feel for the interview and I've been preparing for it as well, but nobody has said any specific questions that they ask!

Also, was it just one person that interviewed you or were there a few tutors?

Thanks for your help!

I've copied and pasted this directly from another thread, but it should answer your questions pretty much:
Whilst we can't say exactly what you'll be asked (that's not fair on everyone else) we can give you some general pointers. Obviously the most important questions are: Why Manchester? Why this degree? What do you like about the degree? Where do you see yourself in the future? This will hold true for any degree at any university, so make sure you have some answers prepared. They say you can wear what you want - it means wear a suit (pretty much everyone else will be wearing one) or something very smart casual like collared formal shirt and chinos (think doctor!) Interviews aren't the time to be slopping around!

You'll be given a tour and the opportunity to speak to some current or former students, make sure you ask some useful questions about being a student (timetabling, workload, accommodation, nights out, part-time work etc) which can help you make up your mind. If you have the tour and chat before your interview, use some of the information you've picked up in the interview - e.g. if you're asked "why Manchester?" give your response and then say that you like the facilities or that the students said good things about the availability of jobs or something. Make sure you've re-read your PS and be prepared to answer a few questions; you may not know the answer, but they'll be looking to see how you approach the situation.

Interviews like this are never as bad as people make out, so don't worry and good luck!
Reply 4
Thanks for your reply, that helps a lot! hopefully I do well in the offer and get a low offer, is it possible for them to offer you AAB even though it says minimum req are A*AA-AAA?
Original post by TheActuary
Thanks for your reply, that helps a lot! hopefully I do well in the offer and get a low offer, is it possible for them to offer you AAB even though it says minimum req are A*AA-AAA?

They can choose to, but it's unlikely that they will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Anybody got any good questions to ask the interviewer at the end?
I have one of these days coming up soon as well, looking forward to it as I didn't get a chance to visit on an open day. One question though, do I need my GCSE certificates? (Mine were water-damaged but I was told I'm not likely to need them by my school, is this true or should I get replacements?)
Original post by TheWolfReturns
I have one of these days coming up soon as well, looking forward to it as I didn't get a chance to visit on an open day. One question though, do I need my GCSE certificates? (Mine were water-damaged but I was told I'm not likely to need them by my school, is this true or should I get replacements?)

If it doesn't say that you need them on the invite to interview letter, then you don't need them.

I would suggest that you get them replaced though - believe it or not, graduate employers often still specify C grades in English and Maths, and will want to see those certificates.
Reply 9
Does anyone know how long the decision takes?? I was there yesterday and I'm dying to know as it's my first choice!
Reply 10
Original post by Faye_m
Does anyone know how long the decision takes?? I was there yesterday and I'm dying to know as it's my first choice!

Generally you get a decision pretty quickly (sometimes within a day or two) but there are no guarantees. Did they say anything about how long it'd take?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Strangey
Generally you get a decision pretty quickly (within a week) but there are no guarantees. Did they say anything about how long it'd take?

Got it today! Had my interview yesterday :smile:
Original post by Faye_m

What did you apply for?
Reply 13
Maths with actuarial science
Reply 14
Hi Faye, I'm applying for the same course and was wondering what your grades and predicted grades were. Well done on getting your offer by the way :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by zacwhu
Hi Faye, I'm applying for the same course and was wondering what your grades and predicted grades were. Well done on getting your offer by the way :biggrin:

Thanks and my offer is just for an A in maths as I already have 5,5 on my AP's which is the highest (1-5)!
My predicted grade for maths is A* though.
Reply 16
Original post by Faye_m
Thanks and my offer is just for an A in maths as I already have 5,5 on my AP's which is the highest (1-5)!
My predicted grade for maths is A* though.

What on earth does that mean??
Also any tips for the interview?
Reply 17
You already have an offer if you get the interview. However, making a good impression will improve your chances of getting in if you miss your offer. I see more people picking act sci and manc this year.. they've also upped the requirements. Hmm
Reply 18
Got my interview in march, anyone else go it den?
Reply 19
Original post by Faye_m
Got it today! Had my interview yesterday :smile:

How was everyone dressed? Cos ders nothing on the interview email about dress code

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending