The Student Room Group

Ucas plagiarism policy

While writing my personal statement for psychology I obviously looked at many examples and I didn't copy any sentences word for word but I just took some ideas for about 3 sentences in the whole of my PS and made it relevant to myself of course. I know it shouldn't really be a big deal but I'm just too paranoid and can't stop thinking about it. I wanted to know exactly how much sentences or words does the 10% ucas policy represents?
They just use that to scare you I reckon, you really think they'd do that. If you just put the wording differently a bit it would most likely by-pass the system. It's more a deterrent; who's UCAS has actually been withdrawn from such an occurrence.
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
They just use that to scare you I reckon, you really think they'd do that. If you just put the wording differently a bit it would most likely by-pass the system. It's more a deterrent; who's UCAS has actually been withdrawn from such an occurrence.

Not to scare OP or anything as I'm sure he'll be fine. UCAS flag a lot of applications for plagiarism (I heard the figure was about 1-2%, although don't quote me on that). They don't withdraw the application, they just let the universities know and then they decide what they want to do about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ugh I'm so scared of this plagiarism thing! I haven't copied it whatsoever but it is them phrases like "I began learning spanish" or book titles that are in other personal statements that scare me 😂 I know it won't be flagged but I don't know its just scary
Reply 4
Original post by aftermath.
While writing my personal statement for psychology I obviously looked at many examples and I didn't copy any sentences word for word but I just took some ideas for about 3 sentences in the whole of my PS and made it relevant to myself of course. I know it shouldn't really be a big deal but I'm just too paranoid and can't stop thinking about it. I wanted to know exactly how much sentences or words does the 10% ucas policy represents?

Sorry to bump a 6 year old thread but I’m in the same situation as you, if not worse, and was wondering if you got caught?? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest