The Student Room Group

To stay or not to stay - that is the question.

Hey there.

I'm in my first year at uni; I'm at Staffordshire in Stafford and I'm doing Game Programming. I thought it'd be great! It is and I get to do the things I want to do without anyone getting annoyed at me, it's just that it's not what I expected. I thought I'd be getting to play and make great games every week and everyone would be having a great time, but it's so depressing and slow here. I'm thinking I'd be better off getting a job for this games company I want to work for (Jagex if you're interested), but I'm not sure it would be.

Another thing I'm unsure about is that a lot of people seem to regret not doing better in their degree so I feel like I ought to do well and at least finish it, but at the same time I feel like I want to get out there and do my own thing. So what could I do?

One of the things i've tried doing is talking to my lecturers and they're really great with it. They don't seem to mind me missing a few lectures here and there so that's pretty tight! It means I get free time and I don't have to worry too much about getting into trouble.

But at the same time I still feel just so lost and confused with myself. I'm not too sure how to explain it though.

I guess I'd just like some advice (not pity or sympathy please hahaha) :smile:

P.S I love being at uni so much more than being at home because I literally get to do whatever I want and I'm getting money for it :smile: I get to buy all the books I want, get to read them, read them some more. I also get to play the games i want, make the games I want, and maybe I'll get to make some money from that.

P.S.S The reason I want to leave is simple; I don't care about my course much or even a bit. It's just... there. I feel like I'd rather be out there doing something than being stuck at uni for a couple more years.
(edited 10 years ago)
Perhaps try a few more interesting things in your own time, like create some games and sell them/ make a games website or something :smile:
Try not to skip lectures though, perhaps they're boring but there are always a few genuinely useful bits of information in them, and you're probably going to have an exams or some assessed work based on the stuff you were meant to have learnt in them at some point...
You've only been at uni a few months - in the first year most unis and courses concentrate on getting everyone up to the same standard - it is possible that some other students never did any related subjects at A level or know much about game programming, so although you may be bored others may be struggling. Enjoy being clever! Have a bit of a break and don't stress to much, but also don't expect to be challenged or given really interesting tasks :smile: That will probably come next year!
You're much more likely to get a really good, interesting and well paid job at Jagex or a similar company with a relevant degree rather than with a few A levels - or at least you won't have to work your way up from the bottom. If you are really interested in them, work really hard this year and perhaps apply for an internship or summer placement with them next year (if they offer them, or if not send in a CV anyway, they may be able to offer you a project and would admire your enthusiasm/ initiative) :smile:
Mind you, remember that it may seem like you are getting money for going to uni, but really it's just a loan and you'll have to pay it all back + interest (+ your 9K tuition fees) eventually - so make sure you do enough work to get a good degree classification or it will have been a bit of a waste :smile:
Reply 2
I'm not really seeing a downside in staying, unless there is a financial imperative.
Reply 3
The reason I'm thinking of leaving is I feel like I'm wasting my time at uni. I don't care about my course, I find it boring and would rather be in bed or reading a book or watching a film and I feel like I could already go out into the world and get the job I want without spending 4 years at uni.
Original post by Ccf 1k
The reason I'm thinking of leaving is I feel like I'm wasting my time at uni. I don't care about my course, I find it boring and would rather be in bed or reading a book or watching a film and I feel like I could already go out into the world and get the job I want without spending 4 years at uni.

From this post I would suggest you might be on the wrong course to match your interests have you considered switching to a computer game programming degree that may be more interesting to you
Reply 5
Why can't you do both? If you find the course slow and have the ability to program why can't you develop your own game in your spare time?
Reply 6
Original post by jonathanemptage
From this post I would suggest you might be on the wrong course to match your interests have you considered switching to a computer game programming degree that may be more interesting to you

Original post by Lelcats
Why can't you do both? If you find the course slow and have the ability to program why can't you develop your own game in your spare time?

I feel like uni isn't for me. I love being away from home which is what I love, but I also get money for it without having to work :smile: It means if I save up well, I'll be able to go on a wrestling trip to the U.S.A with the money I get. I love getting free money! I love being away from home! I love being able to spend my days doing whatever it is I want :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Ccf 1k
I feel like uni isn't for me. I love being away from home which is what I love, but I also get money for it without having to work :smile: It means if I save up well, I'll be able to go on a wrestling trip to the U.S.A with the money I get. I love getting free money! I love being away from home! I love being able to spend my days doing whatever it is I want :biggrin:

This is of no relevance to my question. If you love Uni but you think your course is too slow, why can't you develop your games in your own time?
Reply 8
Original post by Lelcats
This is of no relevance to my question. If you love Uni but you think your course is too slow, why can't you develop your games in your own time?

Right. The problem I have is this. I haven't sorted out anything here. I spend all my time sitting in my room watching movies, eating food, and reading books. I don't have a clue what I'm doing here except that I wanted to get away from home, plus I get paid to go to uni (at least they pay me more than I need just to survive) so I've spend the money on gym membership, food, tickets to events, and books.

There's literally so much I need to sort out that it's unbelievable. I'm not talking about crazy things like my Dad just died or something, but basic things like sirting out my room, my diet, my gym routine, my work, the way I spend my free time, basically everything. My room is literally a mess, I miss lectures and don't really do any of the work in tutorials and I definitely don't do any work on my course outside the tutorials. I need to sort it out and I haven't got close to sorting anything out because I've messed up.

I feel really motivated to sort this **** out man. **** I'm going to do it.
Hope that answers your question dude. Sorry if I've ranted and gone on a bit.
Reply 9
bump :smile:
Reply 10
Another bump if it's allowed.
Not everything in your degree is going to be what you want it to be. There are definitely going to be some really slow and boring classes; thats the way with every single course.
Just power through the boring bits and you'll get a better job in the industry you want because you'll have the piece of paper that says you can do it. I don't know about England, but in Australia, they always ask for the qualifications from uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending