The Student Room Group

what's the jump like from sixth form to uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The first year is pretty much the same difficulty as a-level, but only teaching you the relevant things and giving examples relevant to your course. For example I have to do some physics. But we don't do anything on electricity. And when we do stuff about gravity, it's questions/examples on the tides. So depending on what a-levels you did, the first year will be easier/harder. For my course, relevant a-levels would be; maths, biology, chemistry, geography, physics, geology, ict, environmental science ... and I did the first 4 of those, so am finding it quite easy. But my friend only did one of those, so is finding it a bit trickier.
Reply 21
Original post by carrotstar
Good analogy there. If not a little scary....

I've currently slipped down 15 steps, all of which were due to bad time management, so I cannot stress enough that planning ahead is KEY to your sanity!
Reply 22
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I've currently slipped down 15 steps, all of which were due to bad time management, so I cannot stress enough that planning ahead is KEY to your sanity!

Unless you're weird like me and don't stress about anything, ignore everything anyone ever tells you and do whatever it is you feel like doing.

Probably why I'm not doing too well on my course
Reply 23
Original post by Ccf 1k
Unless you're weird like me and don't stress about anything, ignore everything anyone ever tells you and do whatever it is you feel like doing.

Probably why I'm not doing too well on my course

To be honest I know exactly how you feel, that sort of indifference towards what you're supposed to be doing. You know you have to do it, you know it'll be troublesome if you don't, but you just don't care. Or at least you do care but you can't gather the energy to motivate yourself to do anything related.

Yep, been there done that.
Non existant. Year 13 for me was harder than anything I had to do here until third year.
Reply 25
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
To be honest I know exactly how you feel, that sort of indifference towards what you're supposed to be doing. You know you have to do it, you know it'll be troublesome if you don't, but you just don't care. Or at least you do care but you can't gather the energy to motivate yourself to do anything related.

Yep, been there done that.

Yeah, I hardly notice the work I should be doing. It's like one of the last things I think about during the day. Makes me feel weird whenever anyone asks me for help on the course I'm on because I'm not even doing any work. I think I've gone below the bare minimum in that I hardly bother with lectures and tutorials. I just came to have something to do that was fun that my parents couldn't keep a constant eye on me and worry about me :smile:
Reply 26
As a first year, the only difference for me is that coursework now counts :afraid:. This was never a problem during my science/maths A-Levels.
Original post by Ccf 1k
Yeah, I hardly notice the work I should be doing. It's like one of the last things I think about during the day. Makes me feel weird whenever anyone asks me for help on the course I'm on because I'm not even doing any work. I think I've gone below the bare minimum in that I hardly bother with lectures and tutorials. I just came to have something to do that was fun that my parents couldn't keep a constant eye on me and worry about me :smile:

What course?
Honestly, I found university much easier than A-Levels
Reply 28
Original post by Vian
As a first year, the only difference for me is that coursework now counts :afraid:. This was never a problem during my science/maths A-Levels.

What course?

Computer Games Programming at Staffordshire :smile:
Original post by Anonymοοse
Honestly, I found university much easier than A-Levels

Original post by sr90
Non existant. Year 13 for me was harder than anything I had to do here until third year.

phew, A-levels were a nightmare. what courses are you guys doing?
I'd say it's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind.
Reply 31
Original post by The Messenger

So basically it's easy from A-Levels to uni, but overall it's a very large step if everybody would go?
Reply 32
Original post by The Messenger
not sure why this made me lol so much. :lol: comparing an insignificant school child going to university with man walking on the moon for the first time in history. :rofl:
Reply 33
Original post by Ccf 1k
Nothing if not easier. I only have lectures 3 days a week and only for about 8 hours a week so I have almost no work so I just do what I want. It's really easy dude

Yea academically it's definitely easier. Plus you are studying something you enjoy or have an interest in. I've been getting 90+% in most of my modules in uni (Comp. Sci) yet at A-Levels I was very average.
Reply 34
Depends on the subject. For psychology, the jump is pretty big, imho. The A level is NOTHING like real psychology; the psychology taught at uni. At A level it's just comprehension with a vague science tint - it's much, much different when you get to the degree.

First off, you have to write lab reports, which adheres to a scientific APA format, which is not talked about whatsoever in the A level. The concepts are also a lot more detailed and in depth - no more of these "(researcher name) found that an increase of stress has a correlation to illness" - you're given a concept, it's explained in more scientific depth.

Stats also becomes a hell of a lot harder...no really, it's a nightmare.
Reply 35
Original post by Secretnerd123
wow what course is that? don't you feel your wasting 9k a year for only 8 hours a week?

You know psychology has some of the lowest contact hours, right? A girl I lived with in my 3rd year was timetabled for 4 hours a week from Christmas - the biggest leap is realising that the onus is on you as a student to plan your time and work hard!
Original post by ActusReus
I'm drowning in work :frown:
guess it depends on the course.

What course are you doing ? ? Is it science ? ? Science is awesome.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If your living at home then I presume it would be a big change for you as well. My uni accomodation was really ****ty this year - the place wasn't half as bad as my flatmates and it would have still been alright because I can't remember the last time I got flatmates i actually liked (hallmates were different) but I didn't get the room I wanted, which was a studio. So it really dampens my mood everytime I have to go back to my room from lecs.

I don't understand why they never worked on creating a studio in the first place because unis these days come equipped with affordable studios. And on most days it doesn't look good because I can't even find any studio apartment thats affordable to rent anywhere nearby. But it doesn't matter because I've only got about a year and a couple of months left to graduate. I'm in my second year at the mo, and if I don't like my room, as in if its totally uninhabitable as it was when I had first moved in, I can always complain to a peer about it :fuhrer: !

What you can expect from uni is a lot of hard work! You have a lot of lecs ususally, and even if your contact hours with your tutors are less, you have to spend a considerable amount of time reading up on various books to increase your knowledge about the subject because although questions will come from your syllabus, it helps to know more because only then do you understand the subject your studying better.

You meet many people, most are knobheads but you do get to make friends. The trouble starts when your already a recognisable person because prior to that its pretty easy to make friends because nobody is invading your privacy, no one really knows you or have never heard of you, so you can just be yourself. But the moment ppl can identify who you are, its like a clown circus and not the kinds that amuse you because they all just want to grab a portion of your magic, charm and your life, from your mates to even your food :lolwut: !

Since your on a gap year, you must have already built a name for yourself and many ppl beyond your school already know who you are so be wise in selecting your friends at uni and try to go for people you genuinely have things in common with: don't sell yourself short and you will have a blast :yy: !
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dilzo999
Yeah but the thing is you're paying for the education in the end so you might as well go to the lectures :biggrin:.

That depends on the person. I learn better by self-teaching myself from the textbook. I basically feel like I'm paying 9k for exams. I've been skipping lectures a lot. It's just a simplified version of what the textbook is saying. I will run over it when I'm done with the textbooks just in case though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 39
I think my teachers were right when they told us the jump from GCSE to A-Level is greater than A-Level to degree, but at the same time the difficulty with uni isn't usually in your course, but ensuring you actually survive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending