Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

tada

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=130882

See about 6 posts down, entitled "choosing a college"

or you could just cut a long story short and accept that Cuth's is the best:rolleyes:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
What kind of acommodation do you want, basically!

How often they have formals
Bar
How many people are in the college
Reply 3
I wrote something on this topic for the wiki you can see if that helps at all.

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Durham_Choosing_College
Reply 4
Pick the pretty looking one the prospectus...
Don't bother to consider anything, just go with Butler....I'm not there yet, but i KNOW its going to be great! he he he
Reply 6
ill make it easy for you

TREVS
Reply 7
Butlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutler...
Butlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbutlerbu tlerbutler...

You speak the truth my good fellow.

EDIT: Im a Law applicant too, if that helps, Kirstinx
Reply 9
Oh yeah I forgot to mention...

The other week I went on a full college bar crawl, incorporating Butler into it - so I've been to their bar!

To be honest, quite impressed (though keep in mind I'd already done Hild Bede, Kingsgate, Hatfield, Castle, 24, Cuths, Marys, Grey and Collingwood AND been drinking cocktails that afternoon!)....it had lovely big leather seats and a good big projector screen which was cool. Nice bar BUT seemed quite expensive eek!!

But yes, just to say I liked Butler's bar - but it was a bit of a trek away from the rest of them, whether you like it or not, that entrance road from South Road IS stupidly long!

Next year - the FULL FULL College Bar Crawl will be done...

The Rocket (Stockton)
Maiden Castle (apparantly there's a bar there?)
Hild Bede
Kingsgate
Hatfield
Castle
Chads
Johns
Cuths
Marys
Grey
Collingwood
Butler/Ustinov
Mildert
Aidans
Trevs

WOOHOO! :biggrin:
Reply 10
I hated that South Road entrance when I was living there, it took literally 10 minutes to get out of the college. I think Maiden Castle does have a bar in it somewhere, I vaguely remember going to it and the also served food there as well.
Heavs
I hated that South Road entrance when I was living there, it took literally 10 minutes to get out of the college. I think Maiden Castle does have a bar in it somewhere, I vaguely remember going to it and the also served food there as well.

Go upstairs near the changing rooms, turn right and follow the corridor along.

I tried to go there after my last exam but sadly it was closed!!
Reply 12
Heavs

I'm glad there's someone else here who can vouch for this - and it wasn't just that I was incredibly drunk and trying to make it to Butler and then to Mildert before the group of people who couldn't be arsed to go to Butler left Mildert (this involved some running, argh!)
dobbs

The Rocket (Stockton)
Maiden Castle (apparantly there's a bar there?)
Hild Bede
Kingsgate
Hatfield
Castle
Chads
Johns
Cuths
Marys
Grey
Collingwood
Butler/Ustinov
Mildert
Aidans
Trevs

You missed Ushaw ;-)
Reply 14
fredsmith365
You missed Ushaw ;-)

No I did think of that one, but do they actually have a bar?
Reply 15
How is thatphysically possible?
dobbs
No I did think of that one, but do they actually have a bar?

Yes, but you usually have to know someone to get in (although you can often say that about Johns as well!). I've been. It's rather small though.
arkbar
How is thatphysically possible?

It's perfectly possible. You start in Stockton, as that opens earliest, then go straight up to Hild/Bede, which opens next. From there it's all fairly simple. The addition of Butler is cancelled out by the removal of Gradsoc's Parson's Field bar in recent years: if anything it's easier, as Butler is closer to Howlands Barn than Parsons Field was to... well... anywhere.
Reply 18
fredsmith365
It's perfectly possible. You start in Stockton, as that opens earliest, then go straight up to Hild/Bede, which opens next. From there it's all fairly simple. The addition of Butler is cancelled out by the removal of Gradsoc's Parson's Field bar in recent years: if anything it's easier, as Butler is closer to Howlands Barn than Parsons Field was to... well... anywhere.

The only problem would be Ushaw!

Also, I need to actually find out what time the Rocket opens, my friend in Stockton is useless and doesn't know :rolleyes:

THEN the next problem would be making sure no colleges are having a "college only" night that night - always spoils it! :frown:

Only ever managed a college bar crawl ONCE where none of the colleges were closed to outsiders :biggrin:
Reply 19
dobbs

The other week I went on a full college bar crawl, incorporating Butler into it - so I've been to their bar!

To be honest, quite impressed (though keep in mind I'd already done Hild Bede, Kingsgate, Hatfield, Castle, 24, Cuths, Marys, Grey and Collingwood AND been drinking cocktails that afternoon!)....it had lovely big leather seats and a good big projector screen which was cool. Nice bar BUT seemed quite expensive eek!!

But yes, just to say I liked Butler's bar - but it was a bit of a trek away from the rest of them, whether you like it or not, that entrance road from South Road IS stupidly long!

Precious info dobbs, thanks. Sounds good. Now I'm even more excited :smile:

That road is very long, but it's nice and curvy, which I liked:biggrin:

Latest