The Student Room Group

Edexcel Business and Economics unit 4B case study June 2014 (Obesity)

Hey guys,
This thread is for Edexcel Business Economics Unit 4B's case study about Obesity for June 2014.
Link for case study here: http://rsabusiness.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/unit4b-pre-release.pdf

Date of exam: 18th June 2014

Any potential questions with further discussions of the evidences are welcome :smile:

Have fun revising! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Nice thread this will be useful, hopefully people start using it, and yes I know it's quite a few months old thread.
Reply 3
sitting this privately.. would be great if anyone has any notes they can share as ive just started revising for it
Reply 4
yeah nice thread. have any teachers predicted the 20 and 30 markers? or any questions in particular?
Reply 5
Anyone doing unit 4A. I have worked by butt off to get any resources for this unit. So any resources would be helpful
Reply 6
im finding it hard to find any resources for it either tbh. first place to look however is the edexcel website, speicification for unit 4b; http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035221_GCE_Lin_BuStEcBu_Issue_3.pdf

Also, for unit 3 and anyone resitting unit 1/2, i recommend this website: http://www.businessstudiesonline.co.uk/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=120

it has slideshows covering every topic across all units, apart from unit 4b!!!
Reply 7
Original post by goodwill
im finding it hard to find any resources for it either tbh. first place to look however is the edexcel website, speicification for unit 4b; http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA035221_GCE_Lin_BuStEcBu_Issue_3.pdf

Also, for unit 3 and anyone resitting unit 1/2, i recommend this website: http://www.businessstudiesonline.co.uk/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=120

it has slideshows covering every topic across all units, apart from unit 4b!!!

yeah really annoying that there seems to be barely resources online.. would be great if there was a mock exam or something
Reply 8
Phew there's finally some replies! Anyone went over the pre release for unit 4B and picked up anything worth mentioning? / any potential questions? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
has your teachers predicted any 30/20 markers? my teacher thinks this may come up "evaluate the use of a fat tax" and "to what extent is obesity and market failure". and a couple of others. what do your teachers think?
Reply 10
our teachers barely thought us anything. does anyone know how to best structure the 20/30 markers? and how much we need to write for them?
found this website which has some materials for unit 4B (scroll down the page)

http://www.revisionstation.co.uk/Edexcel-Economics-and-Business(1688027).htm

quite useful, theres a couple of powerpoints and lots of articles on the subject.
In terms of 20 and 30 markers my teacher has come up with a couple of interesting ones:

The most prevalent is "Assess the use of a fat tax in reducing the market failure associated with obesity"
Other ones revolved around that e.g. "Assess the extent to which the government should intervene to reduce the market failure associated with obesity"

A 20 marker was "Assess whether the cut from 50% to 45% was a good idea" no worded exactly like that :biggrin:

and lastly, he feel inequality could come up. Looking back at the past papers, not yet to see one that has covered inequality, and usually exam boards try to cover the entire spec after a couple of years. Considering there is evidence (evidence I ) giving you the gini coefficient of the UK, it seems it could come up.
One of the questions he came up with was "To what extent should the government intervene to reduce inequalities in income?"
and "Assess the strategies to reduce the high levels of income inequality in the UK"

Apart from those main questions that he thinks likely to come up, he made a good question on the poverty trap which is mentioned in one of the evidences
"Assess the use of Fiscal Policy in reducing the poverty trap"

Anyone else find it really hard to revise for this paper?
Original post by Thesmallsmith
In terms of 20 and 30 markers my teacher has come up with a couple of interesting ones:

The most prevalent is "Assess the use of a fat tax in reducing the market failure associated with obesity"
Other ones revolved around that e.g. "Assess the extent to which the government should intervene to reduce the market failure associated with obesity"

A 20 marker was "Assess whether the cut from 50% to 45% was a good idea" no worded exactly like that :biggrin:

and lastly, he feel inequality could come up. Looking back at the past papers, not yet to see one that has covered inequality, and usually exam boards try to cover the entire spec after a couple of years. Considering there is evidence (evidence I ) giving you the gini coefficient of the UK, it seems it could come up.
One of the questions he came up with was "To what extent should the government intervene to reduce inequalities in income?"
and "Assess the strategies to reduce the high levels of income inequality in the UK"

Apart from those main questions that he thinks likely to come up, he made a good question on the poverty trap which is mentioned in one of the evidences

This makes me scared! There's so much theory you have to learn even before tackling the 20/30 markers!
Reply 14
Yeah, I agree there are so many possible questions in Unit 4.
It's annoying that the different case studies each year prevent us from revising past papers like we could in all other units.
Therefore, there is no specific mark scheme to reference from.
Unlike Unit 3, we must know all definitions because of the 2 markers involved.
I have found though that there have been loads of recent cases in the news and other articles so it will be interesting to see what Evidence J is about.

Also, how do you reference quotes from outside knowledge?
e.g. foods that are high in sugar have been proven to be linked with high concentration [BBC Horizon]
OR The UK budget deficit is currently at £107.7bn Financial year ending March 2014 [The Guardian]
Would anyone recommend this format or should I only reference the case study?
Original post by sandra95
our teachers barely thought us anything. does anyone know how to best structure the 20/30 markers? and how much we need to write for them?

For 20 markers, have a paragraph for your weaker point and two for your stronger point e.g. if you're going to conclude that a tax cut would be good, have two on that. Start with the weakest first, the refuting can help lengthen answers. 30 Markers are two for and two against, or rather it's what I do, and the paragraph format I use for both is 'Point, This is because..., Evidence 1, Evidence 2, Cross reference, Explain, Link', unless someone here knows that it would be a bad idea.

Remember to drop in key-words wherever you can, and make sure you know the definition of as many of them as possible, because the two-marks will be on the one you wrote off.

Original post by Timmone1
Yeah, I agree there are so many possible questions in Unit 4.
It's annoying that the different case studies each year prevent us from revising past papers like we could in all other units.
Therefore, there is no specific mark scheme to reference from.
Unlike Unit 3, we must know all definitions because of the 2 markers involved.
I have found though that there have been loads of recent cases in the news and other articles so it will be interesting to see what Evidence J is about.

Also, how do you reference quotes from outside knowledge?
e.g. foods that are high in sugar have been proven to be linked with high concentration [BBC Horizon]
OR The UK budget deficit is currently at £107.7bn Financial year ending March 2014 [The Guardian]
Would anyone recommend this format or should I only reference the case study?

For me, I just reference it i.e. 'with fragile but steady economic recovery, reflected in rising employment and tax-intake numbers, this measure has been successful' or 'unlike Denmark, avoiding a fat-tax would be much more difficult, making it more effective'.

Hey, I noticed you mentioned inequalities which i think is a defo to come up as there is also the evidence on free school meals which is clearly trying to close the poverty gap etc. Anyway, i was just wondering if you could give me some help/explain what the gini coefficient evidence is about. I am not to sure what it means

Thank you :smile:
I think in terms of quoting sources, try where possible to give a reliable source of your information. I wouldn't say you need to do that for everything, like someone else said using outside knowledge for example on the Denmarks cross border shopping probably doesn't need a source, but if your dropping in a fact or figure such as a "a 36% tax on sugary drinks leads to a 26% decline in sales", you are probably going to want to quote it, to avoid making it seem like your pulled those numbers of the top of your head, it just helps reinforce your points if you have a reliable source.
Original post by sproulick
Hey, I noticed you mentioned inequalities which i think is a defo to come up as there is also the evidence on free school meals which is clearly trying to close the poverty gap etc. Anyway, i was just wondering if you could give me some help/explain what the gini coefficient evidence is about. I am not to sure what it means

Thank you :smile:

The Gini Coefficient is a scale that aims to show the distribution if wealth in a country. If one person were to have all the available wealth, the coefficient would be 1. If everyone in a country were to have an equal share of wealth, the coefficient would be 0.

Thanks a lot for this.

Regarding the second last question, do you know if you're teacher wants the answer to analyse the current strategies that are being used by the government or analyse what strategies we think could be used?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending