The Student Room Group

Foreign languages at university in the US

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I've got the opportunity of going to university in North America. The thing is, I was planning on doing BA Modern Foreign Languages (French, Spanish and possibly Italian) or something like that here but I have no idea if there's even an equivalent stateside.

Does anyone know what sort of foreign language courses there are in the US, and if they're any good? (Sorry my knowledge of the US system is limited, I'm only just starting to research it)
Reply 1
Original post by AspiringPolyglot
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I've got the opportunity of going to university in North America. The thing is, I was planning on doing BA Modern Foreign Languages (French, Spanish and possibly Italian) or something like that here but I have no idea if there's even an equivalent stateside.

Does anyone know what sort of foreign language courses there are in the US, and if they're any good? (Sorry my knowledge of the US system is limited, I'm only just starting to research it)

What year are you in and what is this "opportunity" you're talking about?

I would say most universities offer a degree in the Romance languages. Liberal arts would also mean you study things outside of that, so make sure you'd be comfortable with maybe having to do some maths, science and English etc etc

Unless you're more specific about your situation there isn't much I can say in terms of advice. Which universities were you thinking of, what calibre, how are you going to fund it, etc etc etc?
Original post by feyy
What year are you in and what is this "opportunity" you're talking about?

I would say most universities offer a degree in the Romance languages. Liberal arts would also mean you study things outside of that, so make sure you'd be comfortable with maybe having to do some maths, science and English etc etc

Unless you're more specific about your situation there isn't much I can say in terms of advice. Which universities were you thinking of, what calibre, how are you going to fund it, etc etc etc?

Thanks so much for replying, I'm year 12 and I'm looking at every uni course there is right now to get an idea. I was just considering the US too since there's a program that runs that criteria I seem to fit they'll take you out to the US in the summer to look at either MIT,Harvard or Yale and offer support on applying and such. I hadn't really thought of US unis before and I'm just curious as to whether it'd be worth my while to try apply over there or to stick in the UK.

There's not too much fuss on location, but money might be a slight issue. I'm from a single parent family and I'm not sure how the actual fees and financial support work in terms of the US.

I'd be happy to do other subjects aswell, but would you be at a disadvantage considering you didn't take it alevel? I got on really well with everything gcse but took Spanish, French, English Lang and Lit so it's not exactly varied.
Reply 3
Original post by AspiringPolyglot
Thanks so much for replying, I'm year 12 and I'm looking at every uni course there is right now to get an idea. I was just considering the US too since there's a program that runs that criteria I seem to fit they'll take you out to the US in the summer to look at either MIT,Harvard or Yale and offer support on applying and such. I hadn't really thought of US unis before and I'm just curious as to whether it'd be worth my while to try apply over there or to stick in the UK.

There's not too much fuss on location, but money might be a slight issue. I'm from a single parent family and I'm not sure how the actual fees and financial support work in terms of the US.

I'd be happy to do other subjects aswell, but would you be at a disadvantage considering you didn't take it alevel? I got on really well with everything gcse but took Spanish, French, English Lang and Lit so it's not exactly varied.

Just be aware that the US Sutton Trust program is extremely competitive, so if you're seriously considering going to the US, you need to do your own research just in case you don't get in. (I didn't get in last year which completely bummed me out. Another girl from my college did, and now she doesn't want to go through with it, which bums me out even more, haha.)

It shouldn't be too much of an issue for us as UK students if you didn't take a wide range of subjects at A Level, because US universities know about our education system and what it entails. As for funding, you would need to look at US unis that "meet full demonstrated need" for all students admitted, including internationals. Most of these are very competitive because they aren't "need blind" for internationals- as in they look at how much you can pay alongside your application when deciding if they want you or not. It's still worth a shot, though; if admitted, it might be a lot cheaper than going to uni in the UK.

Start your research now. Most universities that meet full need want the SAT or the ACT and two SAT Subject Tests. Some, like Bates College, are test optional. Look into which tests you want/need to take. You should aim to do these tests by December of your upper sixth. Take a look at the dates they are available, and bear in mind that most US students take these tests more than once.

Some need blind, full need met colleges: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Amherst, Dartmouth and MIT. Start your research here as far as what is required for admission goes.

Some needs aware, but full need met colleges: Bates, Gettysburg, Brown, Colby, Middlebury, UChicago, UPenn, Kenyon... and since you're a girl Wellesley, Smith and Barnard are worth looking at, too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending