The Student Room Group

Aeronautical Engineering further reading

Hey,
I am currently doing my AS levels (maths, further maths, physics and DT). Recently I have been told that I should start doing some additional reading, that will relate to my uni corse I wish to do (Aeronautical engineering). I was just wondering is anyone had any suggestions of books that are interesting either fiction or non-fiction or magazines. That I can read when I have some spare time.
thanks!!:smile:
Reply 1
You don't "need" to do any extra reading. Your universities should provide some sort of reading list (and you're not supposed to read all of those books either), but look at those as inspiration.

If you're trying to write a personal statement, perhaps find a book on a topic you're interested in, but it is really not the deciding factor in your application - You need to write about what you've done which relates to the course. Explain why you're the right candidate for them and how you've done research which is appropriate. Just reading is not going to be enough (you need to be more than just "interested").

Technology magazines and books from the library may help, but find opportunities to apply "engineering skills" to what you're currently doing as that will have a far greater weight in your application.
Original post by Isthisnameleft
Hey,
I am currently doing my AS levels (maths, further maths, physics and DT). Recently I have been told that I should start doing some additional reading, that will relate to my uni corse I wish to do (Aeronautical engineering). I was just wondering is anyone had any suggestions of books that are interesting either fiction or non-fiction or magazines. That I can read when I have some spare time.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2512559&p=45137400#post45137400
Original post by SillyEddy
You don't "need" to do any extra reading. Your universities should provide some sort of reading list (and you're not supposed to read all of those books either), but look at those as inspiration.

If you're trying to write a personal statement, perhaps find a book on a topic you're interested in, but it is really not the deciding factor in your application - You need to write about what you've done which relates to the course. Explain why you're the right candidate for them and how you've done research which is appropriate. Just reading is not going to be enough (you need to be more than just "interested").

Technology magazines and books from the library may help, but find opportunities to apply "engineering skills" to what you're currently doing as that will have a far greater weight in your application.

Thanks for the reply, I know I don't need to do any it is more the fact that I wanted to as I struggle with it anyway so if it on a topic I enjoy maybe it could help things. I have not started a personal statement yet nor applied for a uni as I have only just started my AS levels... However thanks for the tips I will be sure to keep them in mind when I come round to doing it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Introduction to Flight by J.D. Anderson is a great book, well written and not too heavy on the maths. If you end up doing an Aerospace degree you'll find yourself coming back to it again and again.
Reply 5
Original post by Isthisnameleft
Hey,

I read 'The simple science of flight' by Henk Tennekes, it's not bad but it's more about flight in general than about planes. There isn't really much maths, just a few equations, but it's quite an enjoyable read if you just want to learn a bit about general flight.

Quick Reply

Latest