The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Freier._.lance

You realise that there do exist unisex toilets?

I do, which merely strengthens the argument that there is no serious reason for gender-segregating public lectures. Or are you saying that unisex toilets demonstrates that public lectures should be segregated?
Original post by MostUncivilised
I do, which merely strengthens the argument that there is no serious reason for gender-segregating public lectures. Or are you saying that unisex toilets demonstrates that public lectures should be segregated?

If you genuinely believe in no gender separation. Then your first aim would be to be against separated lavatories, which are ubiquitous in society. Unisex toilets would be your ideal. Then, and only then would you be able to argue against separated lectures in a way you won't be contradicting yourself.

Humans have the amazing ability to be able to believe in two opposing beliefs simultaneously, precisely the reason why religion is everywhere. You seem to be one of those people (and it is your perogative to be so), I just try and make sure my beliefs are consistent.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 42
You seem a little slow, so I'll take you through it step by step :h:

If you genuinely believe in no gender separation. Then your first aim would be to be against separated lavatories,.

So your argument is because we have male and female toilets we should first fight against these before we complain about the introduction of sexual segregation in universities?
Reply 43
Original post by Snagprophet
Toilets and changing areas are the grey area. Not only that, but they serve their purpose to each person in less than five minutes. Lectures are not to be compared to changing rooms and toilets, where presumably people expose their genitals and it's probably easier to cope if you are that same gender. Maybe rapes happen in toilets. We have some places with unisex changing at places such as some pools.

I don't think we should be appeasing a bunch of medieval, desert mongerer attitudes in this country, certainly in somewhere like a lecture theatre. What next? All women wear burkas. There are countries which already do this, if you want to live in a society which does this please go to a country which already does it it is not wanted in this country thank you very much.

Why not go all out and say sand ******? Isn't that what you meant?
Original post by PopaPork
So your argument is because we have male and female toilets we should first fight against these before we complain about the introduction of sexual segregation in universities?

I am saying you should be consistent in your beliefs about where gender segregation is allowed and not allowed. Otherwise, you come across as irrational. What about gender segregated halls? gender segregated swimming pools? Have you conveniently forgotten about these?
Reply 45
I am saying you should be consistent in your beliefs about where gender segregation is allowed and not allowed. Otherwise, you come across as irrational. What about gender segregated halls? gender segregated swimming pools? Have you conveniently forgotten about these?

I am consistent

but sorry you are simply playing 'what about'

your argument is simply because A exists we should allow B

this is simply 'whataboutery'

Can I ask do you agree with the introduction of sexuality based segregation in UK universities
Reply 46
Are same sex schools being fought like the Suffragettes did?
Reply 47
Original post by xDave-

:rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_segregation

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffragette
I am consistent

but sorry you are simply playing 'what about'

your argument is simply because A exists we should allow B

this is simply 'whataboutery'

Can I ask do you agree with the introduction of sexuality based segregation in UK universities

My argument is about consistency, I don't like "bull****tery", to borrow your colourful language. Just say you don't have an argument, its OK.

You may ask :smile:. I don't believe in gender segregation on any grounds.

But it already exists there! The question is why you don't fight the gender segregation already present?

Don't you worry though, I already know the answer :h:, it's because you are bigoted, and you choose what to rally against. Most irrationality stems from bigotry and xenophobia, which is why your beliefs are inconsistent, and why you struggling to become conscious of it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 49

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a question, not a sarcastic comment. Though I'm not sure you read the article OP posted.
I don't have an issue if a group wished to willingly segregate within their own group. However I have a problem if people are forced or if that segregation spreads to the wider communities. Freedom of religion only goes as far as it does not reduce the freedom of everyone else.

If a muslim woman wanted to sit separately in a university lecture; that's fine. But what if a muslim woman didn't - would she be forced to be segregated because the group has demanded segregation?
We all have wide friend groups that transcend religion and race; and universities transcend these boundaries. What if she wanted to sit with none-muslim friends; or none-muslim male friends; are they to allow this?
And are then all men and women being segregated within their classes, regardless of religion?

I think if a group of people wish to segregate themselves within their group - fine, let them. But the university should not be making policies; they should really let people get on with it and only intervene if the group are trying to get everyone within a lecture theater (not just their own group) segregated.
Reply 51
Original post by xDave-
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It was a question, not a sarcastic comment.

I know that;s why I thought I'd give you details of what sex segregation is and what the suffragettes were actually fighting for

from you response I gather you didn't read either
Original post by xDave-

The funny thing is, this comment is going to go straight over the heads of most people in this thread.
Reply 53
My argument is about consistency, I don't like "bull****tery", to borrow your colourful language. Just say you don't have an argument, its OK.

You may ask :smile:. I don't believe in gender segregation on any grounds.

But it already exists there! The question is why you don't fight the gender segregation already present?

Don't you worry though, I already know the answer :h:, it's because you are bigoted, and you choose what to rally against. Most irrationality stems from bigotry and xenophobia, which is why your beliefs are inconsistent, and why you struggling to become conscious of it.

I do. I fight against sexual segregation when I believe it right to do so and given this is about the introduction of sex based discrimination in UK UNI's this is one of the times I believe it to be right.

but your argument is nothing more than whataboutery and factually incorrect.

the rest is simple ad hominem and easily ignored.
Original post by PC2852
So sick of hearing about Muslim extremists on this site. Why don't they just go live in the Arab League if the UK isn't good enough?

What a stupid statement. Muslims have as much right to say whatever they like as anyone else, and instead of actually suggesting reasons WHY you don't agree with them you just decide to attack them.
You know what? I sincerely wish there were no muslims in this country. End of. It's out there, I've said it, I don't give a ****.

Then again, I'd happily live in a world where religion didn't exist at all, in any way. So perhaps that's not so surprising.
(edited 10 years ago)
I do. I fight against sexual segregation when I believe it right to do so and given this is about the introduction of sex based discrimination in UK UNI's this is one of the times I believe it to be right.

It already exists in UK universities, the fact you are unaware of this just shows your own ignorance.

Now please don't quote me again, unless you have an argument, or you have chosen to use your intelligence.
Reply 57
It already exists in UK universities, the fact you are unaware of this just shows your own ignorance.

Now please don't quote me again, unless you have an argument, or you have chosen to use your intelligence.

No it does not

In fact this was the point of the 'recommendations' to allow this to happen as at the moment UNI's do not have to allow such requests

the fact you are unaware of this just shows your own ignorance.

But no worries we will win and this will not happen :biggrin:
No it does not

In fact this was the point of the 'recommendations' to allow this to happen as at the moment UNI's do not have to allow such requests

So you are completely unaware of women-only university colleges?

You've learnt something new today. You're welcome!

the fact you are unaware of this just shows your own ignorance.

Please don't copy me. You have a brain, use it to write something original.
Reply 59
So you are completely unaware of women-only university colleges?

You've learnt something new today. You're welcome!

Please don't copy me. You have a brain, use it to write something original.

No. women only or men only does not enforce segregation. You are getting confused with voluntary, in the case of a men's\womens only college and enforced as per these recommendations.

You really do need to look up the term and try and understand what the difference between 'voluntary' and 'enforced'

wiki may be a good place for you to start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_segregation

there you go YOU have learnt something today

Latest

Trending

Trending