The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It seems to me that the entire point of gender segregation in religious communities is the subjugation of women. That's why it is abhorrent. Changing rooms/toilets are the way they are for practical/traditional reasons that don't have discrimination as their 'raison d'etre'.
Reply 61
Original post by KimKallstrom
Don't be a retard.

Too late I fear.
Original post by PopaPork
No. women only or men only does not enforce segregation. You are getting confused with voluntary, in the case of a men's\womens only college and enforced as per these recommendations.

You really do need to look up the term and try and understand what the difference between 'voluntary' and 'enforced'

Thank you, you do have a brain, I knew it was in there somewhere. So what you are against is forced gender segregation, not gender segregation, right? If that is so, then it is a perfectly valid belief to have.

The solution of course to that, would be to have a third section where people who do not wish to be segregated can sit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 63
Original post by Freier._.lance
Thank you, you do have a brain, I knew it was in there somewhere. So what you are against is forced gender segregation, not gender segregation, right? If that is so, then it is a perfectly valid belief to have.

The solution of course to that, would be to have a third section where people who do not wish to be segregated can sit.

Or not have any segregation at all

but no your suggestion is not the solution.
Or not have any *forced segregation at all

but no your suggestion is not the solution.

don't forget the "forced".

And yes, it would be the solution.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 65
don't forget the "forced".

And yes, it would be the solution.

Well good news is it's not going to happen so the solution is to carry on as normal:biggrin:

a few bigots may get pissed off but who cares about them:biggrin:
Reply 66
Original post by HeavyTeddy
What a stupid statement. Muslims have as much right to say whatever they like as anyone else, and instead of actually suggesting reasons WHY you don't agree with them you just decide to attack them.

Muslims have freedom of speech, true. Freedom of speech does not equal, saying anything you want without repercussions and judgement. I have every right to dislike Islam.
Reply 67
You give people shelter from war and poverty in your country and they (or their offspring) respond with igniting social tension by promoting backwards practices that are absolutely alien to modern Western culture.

Perhaps it is time to use the path of drone warfare to its fullest extent. These people only understand the language of power and death, so give them death.
I am saying you should be consistent in your beliefs about where gender segregation is allowed and not allowed. Otherwise, you come across as irrational.

There is no inconsistency between treating lavatories and public lectures differently.

If two situations are different, then they can be treated differently.

What distinguishes public lectures from lavatories is that lavatories involve fundamental biological differences that public lectures do not.

However, I am not opposed to unisex lavatories either, merely helping you to understand that treating lavatories and public lectures differently is entirely consistent with the injunction to "treat like cases alike".
Original post by PanicInNeverland
Have you actually read the article? It doesn't even say the words Muslim or Islam anywhere in this article... You are making the assumption that this is about Islam.. If you have any evidence that this assumption is correct i would like to see this before you drag a religion through the mud that has nothing to do with this.

haha bet you feel an idiot now mate? It was to do with Islam :wink:

So how did Ace123 accurately "predict" that?
My argument is about consistency, I don't like "bull****tery", to borrow your colourful language. Just say you don't have an argument, its OK.

You may ask :smile:. I don't believe in gender segregation on any grounds.

But it already exists there! The question is why you don't fight the gender segregation already present?

Don't you worry though, I already know the answer :h:, it's because you are bigoted, and you choose what to rally against. Most irrationality stems from bigotry and xenophobia, which is why your beliefs are inconsistent, and why you struggling to become conscious of it.

The fact you can't distinguish between genders using separate toilet facilities and that of sitting in a hall listening to somebody speak doesn't bode too well for your IQ.....
Original post by billydisco
The fact you can't distinguish between genders using separate toilet facilities and that of sitting in a hall listening to somebody speak doesn't bode too well for your IQ.....

The fact that you don't understand the argument, doesn't bode well for yours.

IQ is not a marker of intelligence, but I can assure you, mine is probably far higher than yours :wink:.
Reply 73
Universities should be free of religious influence and that goes for any groups that meet there too.

If they want to segregate women they can do it in their mosques, not in a British institution that is premised on the equality of men and women

We are going back into the dark ages with stuff like this and it's scary how people are tolerating it!
haha bet you feel an idiot now mate? It was to do with Islam :wink:

So how did Ace123 accurately "predict" that?

1. I'm not your mate....
2. No I actually don't... Dunno why I should. I felt that Ace123 wasn't giving enough evidence to warrant the title of the thread so asked for more evidence to his point. My question was justified and there's no shame in that. So you might not wanna bet on that "mate"
3. I don't know what point you're trying to make but as we all have a right to free speech there is no shame in letting your opinion known. Have a nice day and a word of advice, don't put people down for defending someone or something, it makes you seem ignorant. :wink:
Original post by PanicInNeverland
1. I'm not your mate....
2. No I actually don't... Dunno why I should. I felt that Ace123 wasn't giving enough evidence to warrant the title of the thread so asked for more evidence to his point. My question was justified and there's no shame in that. So you might not wanna bet on that "mate"
3. I don't know what point you're trying to make but as we all have a right to free speech there is no shame in letting your opinion known. Have a nice day and a word of advice, don't put people down for defending someone or something, it makes you seem ignorant. :wink:

You didn't answer my question:

How did Ace123 correctly "predict" Islam would be involved?
You didn't answer my question:

How did Ace123 correctly "predict" Islam would be involved?

I'm not a psychic, if i have lead you to believe otherwise I do apologise. There is simply no way for me to be able to know how Ace123 came to this conclusion as he has not told me and I do not posses supernatural powers. I could guess, but this would mean making gross assumptions based on previous messages he has sent which would be unfair on my part as I would be assuming things about him which could potentially be offensive to him. I am sure that if you ask him he would surely give you an answer. It would seem to me that in his mind he linked the article with his notion of Islam, however I do not know if this is true so cannot make assumptions and answer this question on his behalf. What you are asking me to do is either psychoanalyse a person I have never met or tell you that all segregation of males and females is somehow linked to a single religion which ,in my opinion, is not correct. How about you stop trying to make Islam look bad by asking trivial questions and try to find good in people? It's easy to be negative and shun people but what is life if you cannot be accepting of other opinions and beliefs. I'm not saying become a muslim, I'm saying that every opinion and belief has a right to be no matter how much you disagree with it. So to answer your question I don't know, maybe your asking the wrong question to the wrong person.

(This will hopefully be my last post on this thread as I do have work to do, I wish you all a good day :biggrin:)
Reply 77

Good news indeed

I was waiting for the announcement

but it is good news that the line has now been drawn
Reply 78
Good news indeed

I was waiting for the announcement

but it is good news that the line has now been drawn

Agreed!

Thank God someone somewhere in government had enough common sense!
Reply 79
Original post by aeon439
Agreed!

Thank God someone somewhere in government had enough common sense!

It was quite a good campaign we had going but we knew once we got this into mainstream media the outrage would be too much and we knew as soon as it was on Radio4 they were going to lose.

Hopefully someone will lose their job over this and it should (but we are still going to have to monitor) stop ISOC's trying this bull in the future

Latest

Trending

Trending