The Student Room Group

Are student finance really this inconsistent?

So first off, I applied for student finance back in August.I thought everything was going good until I had to go for my enrolment day which was on the 18th of September and my uni was asking me for a letter from SFE confirming that I'll actually be receiving a loan but I didn't have the said letter so I couldn't be fully enrolled, and now I'm only partly enrolled.

From then on I've been calling student finance nearly every day, and up until mid October they just kept saying a few more days, a few more days. Then at the end of October they told me that the first time they sent my application to the assessment team, they didn't assess it. So I asked them why, and they couldn't give me an answer. All I was told was that I have to wait for another 30 days because they had to send it to the assessment team again so they can review it.

So I patiently wait until mid November, and I call them again. This time they wanted further proof of my parents financial state, so they wanted copies of their P60s to be sent in. So we did that and we sent in the copies of the P60s. I then called them a few weeks later, around the end of November, asking if everything was cool and this time out of no where I got told that I need to send in proof that I've lived in the country for the past 3 years and I ask them why couldn't have they asked for this proof back in September/October and all I got told was that it's a "new" thing that they were doing. So I send them bank statements and some of my diplomas from college, with official stamps, dates and signatures from the principal etc. and I let a week or two go by so they can check out all of the things I've sent. So I call them this last Tuesday asking if everything is okay, and I get told that some of the documents that I've sent look like they could've been printed off of the internet and that they want me to get a letter from my college saying that I've studied there starting September 2010.

Me thinking this will be the end I go to my college and fill in a form for the said letter and I am now waiting for the college to send that over. But now that wasn't the end, just now, my parents received a letter saying that SFE haven't received their P60s even though we sent them like a month ago. So my parents now need to re-send this information. And I still haven't received any money from them and it's soon to be January when they'll be needing to send me my 2nd maintenance loan.
(edited 10 years ago)
First of all you want replies, you might want to include paragraphs instead of one big block of text.

Secondly, you applied for funding way after the May deadline, so you can't really expect your application to be completed in time for when you started. Especially considering how busy they are at that time due to clearing etc.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Fixed the text.

I just checked my online profile and it says they've received the details on the 30/06/2013 and then requested further proof like my passport for example on the 06/08/2013. I don't consider that to be WAY after the May deadline. I also have colleagues that applied in June and still haven't received anything. Or were they busy during that time as well?
They are currently dealing with the backlog of people who applied by the deadline.
You are after them in the queue.
Reply 4
Original post by JimChuk7
Fixed the text.

I just checked my online profile and it says they've received the details on the 30/06/2013 and then requested further proof like my passport for example on the 06/08/2013. I don't consider that to be WAY after the May deadline. I also have colleagues that applied in June and still haven't received anything. Or were they busy during that time as well?

Maybe not way after the deadline but still after it. Student finance do warn they can't guarentee to get money to you ontime if you apply anytime after. But yes they are prone to taking their time and loosing things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending