The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS a level subject?

I'm in my first year of a levels and I'm doing Psychology, History, English Literature and Health and Social Care. But I absolutely hate health and social care! There is also a lot of work to do and it takes up time for my other subjects. I don't even know why I picked it, I don't need it for the future either.

I also have depression and it's really hard to cope. I keep considering suicide and just want to end my life, so it is really hard to get on with the work.

If I choose to drop health and social, will it affect my future? I want to be a teacher either for psychology or do a foundation year in biology and be a biology teacher.

Will it be better to drop it or to continue? Do universities mind?

Thank you
Reply 1
Many people do only 3 a levels and a lot of uni's do not require a separate AS, so really it shouldn't hinder you at all. You're much better off with 3 good grades than 4 average ones anyway. As for being depressed I really recommend going to see a counsellor or such like as feeling so down can also really affect your studies which may not bode well for the future. I really hope things get better for you soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Drop it. 9.5/10 universities never ask for an AS in their offer. Having a 4th AS didnt stop me getting offers, i don't see why it would for yourself.
Reply 3
Original post by LeonieEmily
Many people do only 3 a levels and a lot of uni's do not require a separate AS, so really it shouldn't hinder you at all. You're much better off with 3 good grades than 4 average ones anyway. As for being depressed I really recommend going to see a counsellor or such like as feeling so down can also really affect your studies which may not bode well for the future. I really hope things get better for you soon!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much! Yes, it is better to have 3 good grades than 4 average. I am currently seeing psychiatrists, and I have been for almost a year now but it's pretty much the same. Thank you though!:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Drop it. 9.5/10 universities never ask for an AS in their offer. Having a 4th AS didnt stop me getting offers, i don't see why it would for yourself.

Thank you! :smile:
I'd say drop it. It's better to have 3 AS levels at good grades than have a fourth at a bad grade. I should have dropped one of mine but I decided to just keep it and ended up with an E :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Drop it!

I only did 3 - i chose chemistry, biology, maths, and philosophy & ethics. I ended up hating P&E and dropped it mid november, it required so much essay writing and was just very dull. Glad I did, still got all 5 offers for uni and predicted higher grades (A*AA), definitley do it!
Reply 7
Thank you very much to everyone! By the way, is it difficult to convince teachers to let me drop it? And how long does it take for them to decide?
Reply 8
Original post by Evangeline07
Thank you very much to everyone! By the way, is it difficult to convince teachers to let me drop it? And how long does it take for them to decide?

At my school you have to get a form signed by the teachers. Really you can just stop going to lessons after telling the teacher.
Reply 9
Original post by Jkizer
At my school you have to get a form signed by the teachers. Really you can just stop going to lessons after telling the teacher.

Thank you!
H&SC isn't even that highly regarded compared to your other subjects and regarding what you want to do in the future. It may hinder you.
Reply 11
Original post by Tom_green_day
H&SC isn't even that highly regarded compared to your other subjects and regarding what you want to do in the future. It may hinder you.

Yes, you are right. Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest