The Student Room Group

In need of EPQ guidance!

Hi! I've recently started my EPQ in 6th form. We are doing it with Edexcel, and so far, I think I plan to do it around the topic of 'What are our options for colonizing another planet?' (Is that a decent idea? I'm fascinated by space, and got an A in my GCSE Astronomy course last year, so I think I'll really enjoy it!).
My main problem is that, I don't really know all that much about how to write this kind of thing. The biggest essay I've every written was only 2,500 words, and this has to be 6,000! Our teacher doesn't really do all that much in the lessons, and isn't always there, so that's why I've come here seeking help! What is the best way of researching? What kinds of sections should I put in my writing, and how many words should I delegate to each?
I'm thinking of mainly focusing on Mars for my project, then I can talk about what we would gain from going there/what problems we would face and have to overcome to make it happen/how we could survive when we actually got there, and maybe delve a little into terraforming, but I'm not really sure....

Thanks in advance to anyone who's brave enough to try and assist my EPQ-knowledge-less brain :smile:
Bump :P
Reply 2
Hey

I did the EPQ last year and it is the most horrific thing haha! Although is does get you in to a nice habit for referencing and citing and generally writing longer things from research.

I don't know a great deal about astronomy but the topic sounds really cool - Mine was on something about the Israel/Palestine conflict and the creation of a Palestinian state (which I somehow, and God knows how, got an A in). I set mine out as an argument of for and against points, but of course they have to be very detailed because of the several thousand word count needed. This could take up a nice section of the kind of thing you're wanting to write about assuming you know a lot about it - ie. the different options humans could have and the drawbacks these could bring! And a section on how humans could sustain themselves when on Mars could make up a big section. Add in a nice introduction and conclusion (both of which should be way bigger than you will ever have written for exams and things), that should bring you a nicely sized project.

Don't forget to save references and links as you find them, take it from me you do not want to lose them!

Hope this helps!
James
Original post by ijamess
Hey

I did the EPQ last year and it is the most horrific thing haha! Although is does get you in to a nice habit for referencing and citing and generally writing longer things from research.

I don't know a great deal about astronomy but the topic sounds really cool - Mine was on something about the Israel/Palestine conflict and the creation of a Palestinian state (which I somehow, and God knows how, got an A in). I set mine out as an argument of for and against points, but of course they have to be very detailed because of the several thousand word count needed. This could take up a nice section of the kind of thing you're wanting to write about assuming you know a lot about it - ie. the different options humans could have and the drawbacks these could bring! And a section on how humans could sustain themselves when on Mars could make up a big section. Add in a nice introduction and conclusion (both of which should be way bigger than you will ever have written for exams and things), that should bring you a nicely sized project.

Don't forget to save references and links as you find them, take it from me you do not want to lose them!

Hope this helps!
James

Thank you SO much for the reply! I was starting to think nobody cared about me! :bawling: It really helps, and your topic sounds REALLY interesting! Well done on the A!

Again, thanks ever so much for the help, really helped to clear up a few things I was unsure about!

Ally

Quick Reply

Latest