The Student Room Group

Why can't i study in the morning?

I've been trying to study in the mornings recently, but it's just not happening. I just can't seem to focus on the job on hand very well in the morning. However much i sleep, i'm still just somewhat tired and my concentration isn't on point.

I thought to myself why not just study when most alert, night time, but i don't think studying only at night will be enough because that's only a few hours a day and i need a lot more than that (crastinating taking it's toll). I don't want to be living off caffein whenever it comes to study time i know it's really bad for me in the long run, does anyone know an alternative to remaining focussed other than caffein and studying at peak times? Or am i doomed for failure?:frown:

What do you do to alert yourselves in the morning?
Reply 1
Original post by 4RealBlud

What do you do to alert yourselves in the morning?

Nothing. I accept it and sleep :h:

Like you, I also have trouble working in the morning, therefore, I do most of my work in the afternoon and evening. Considering that NOT morning is from 12.00-bed time, there's plenty of time to do lots of work done :yep: . I can do a solid 6/7/8 hours between lunchtime and bedtime :h: . And that includes breaks and dinner :yep:

However, if you want to work in the morning, it may be just down to will-power. Getting started is half the battle. So, next time you're considering working in the morning, force yourself to pick up a pen and write something (anything) down on a piece of paper. That might kick-start you into doing some work :h:
Haha I must say I'm in the exact same situation here! I can NEVER work in the mornings. I either lie in and get up late or even when I manage to pull myself out of bed, I tend to be pretty unproductive anyway so I figured that I would just sleep the couple of extra hours and get the work done at night.

Yeah, I don't know. How about chocolate or something with sugar in it? :thumbsup:
Some people just cannot work in the mornings - you may just have to accept it! Go to bed late and feel free to sleep in until 11 or 12pm or so.. nearer exam time you won't need to do as much revision so you can start getting early nights and getting up at a normal time.

Other than that.. I know we all hate it and people often just go 'nah' when i suggest this but... exercise!! :biggrin: I used to hate running but going for a gentle jog is really nice and I was surprised how long I could jog for. Ofc I'm now addicted and have increased the intensity. Also eat healthily, it will have an effect in a week or so. Make sure you get plenty of iron in your diet - the moment I made this a priority I was never tired throughout the day (lentils, beans on toast, porridge etc, meat at dinner times)

Also if you reaaaaaally want to work in the mornings... Just keep getting up early - you'll eventually get used to it. I used to be a bit of an owl but I'm a complete earlybird now. Try forcing yourself in the shower as soon as you get up as well.
Reply 4
I tend to not work in the morning :nah: As some of the other posts have said, I tend to work best in the afternoons/evenings :yep:
I'm the other way round, I can't work in the evenings but able to in the morning.

Try having a good nights sleep?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm the same, productiveness and concentration varies over the day and I'm not sure there's much you can do about it tbh, just do as much of your revision as possible in the times you're more alert.

You could try staying up later and waking up later? That'd give you more time in the evening to revise and might actually make revision in the afternoon easier too.
Works for me :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm definitely a night time worker, I would prefer staying up until 1 then wake up at 5am just to cram in 1 hour of revision.

Usually I will watch a science podcast or something whilst eating, or read textbooks/novel. That helps stimulant my brain before school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending