The Student Room Group

The Manchester United Society

Welcome to the MANCHESTER UNITED SOCIETY:

LEADERS: #2(Laika), Daveo & Juwel

MANCHESTER UNITED SEASON PREVIEW

Such is the expectation at Old Trafford these days that failure to win The Premiership for a fourth season in a row will be depicted as a catastrophe for Manchester United.

But memories are short, and a true disaster for a club of The Red Devils’ size was going 26 years without the title - in comparison four years would merely be a blot on the landscape.

Dominance of the domestic scene comes in cycles - just as Liverpool controlled the 80s, and United the 90s, it is now Chelsea’s turn to be the pre-eminent force and impatient Red Devils fans must be prepared to bide their time.

Sir Alex Ferguson is desperately trying to build a new super-team to challenge Chelsea, but with Roman Abramovich’s spending showing no signs of slowing down, it is becoming increasingly hard to keep up with the reigning champions.

In addition, such is the dearth of talent available on the market, that United were pressed into paying over the odds for Tottenham midfielder Michael Carrick.

Spurs got the better end of the bargain in accepting an offer which could rise to in excess of £18 million, but Carrick is the type of player every team needs.

He keeps hold of possession, always makes himself available to receive the ball and rarely fails to find a team-mate.

The downside is he will miss the start of the season through injury, and with Paul Scholes suspended for three games, United’s midfield will again be light.

A makeshift pairing is likely to start the campaign, just as it finished, unless Ferguson can add the midfield enforcer he has been chasing all summer. Mahamadou Diarra of Lyon would be the ideal recruit, but Villarreal’s Marcos Senna appears a more realistic capture, with Owen Hargreaves a late option.

The sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy to Real Madrid has also been a major talking point. Undoubtedly, the Dutchman disappointed with his attitude last term, but he comes with a guarantee of at least 20 goals and he is nigh on impossible to replace.

Louis Saha - injury permitting - will give it his best shot, while Alan Smith - once fit again - will be converted back into a centre forward, and it is hoped Giuseppe Rossi can translate his free-scoring exploits for the reserves to the senior ranks.

Much of the onus will once more fall on the broad, yet youthful, shoulders of Wayne Rooney, who will harshly miss three of the first four games after being sent off against Porto in the Amsterdam Tournament.

Rooney possesses the magic of a player few other sides in world football, never mind The Premiership, can lay claim to and this could be a defining season for him.

He will either rise to the challenge of carrying United to glory, or will become frustrated - as he did with England at the World Cup - at being labelled a team’s saviour.

Another young gun - Cristiano Ronaldo - has a big year ahead of him. Guaranteed a hostile reception at every away ground, the Portuguese winger can shrug off the misguided cheers, but a consistent end product is urgently required if United are to see the best of his talent.

In defence, United look strong. Edwin van der Sar is reliability personified, Gary Neville and Gabriel Heinze trusty full backs, while Rio Ferdinand, Wes Brown and the presently injured Nemanja Vidic are a solid heart.

Of the young talent coming through, the cream has gone out on loan to build experience, so again United’s squad looks a little thin on the ground to mount a challenge across the trophy spectrum.

A greater impact in the UEFA Champions League will be expected, but a cup may again be the best last season’s Carling Cup winners can hope for, unless Ferguson brings in a couple of last-ditch signings.

Predicted Position: 4th
Star Man:Wayne Rooney.
Particularly following the departure of Ruud van Nistelrooy, the demand for Rooney to sparkle will be greater than ever.
One to Watch: David Jones.
Giuseppe Rossi was tipped up last year, and this time could make an impact, but with United still short in midfield, Jones could get his chance.
Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson.
Ferguson will celebrate 20 years in charge in November and he will be determined to mark the occasion with another title, but the lack of major activity in the transfer market could hinder those prospects.
INS:Tomasz Kuszczak (West Brom), Michael Carrick (Tottenham)
OUTS:Phil Bardsley (Rangers - loan), Lee Martin (Rangers - loan), Ben Foster (Watford - loan), Gerard Pique (Real Zaragoza - loan), Luke Steele (West Brom), Paul McShane (West Brom), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), Sylvain Ebanks-Blake (Plymouth), Tim Howard (Everton - loan), Jonathan Spector (West Ham), Quinton Fortune (Bolton), Phil Picken (Chesterfield)
Best signing: Michael Carrick
Sky Bet Odds: 11/2
Likely top scorer: Rooney
Possible best XI:
Fixtures
Squad List

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PREDICTIONS TABLE

Name:__________________Pts:

1. 2(Laika)---------------------15
2. BexTait----------------------12
3. Daveo-----------------------12
4. bigdave0245-----------------12
5. Ronaldo VII------------------12
6. olliemccowan-----------------9
7. Steezy20---------------------9
8. CheGriffin---------------------6
9. CR45H------------------------6
10. darth_vader05----------------6
11. domisakin--------------------6
12. Juwel------------------------3
13. Mithun-----------------------3
14. Ole_Gunner-------------------3
15. Sharpshooter-----------------3
16. The_Bear---------------------3
17. Berto90----------------------0
18. Jayk Bakner-------------------0
19. mancred----------------------0
20. mc_watson87-----------------0
21. samba------------------------0
22. Shady05----------------------0
23. SOUNDBWOY------------------0
24. spamking----------------------0
25. Weird and Wonderful-----------0
26. Vas Deferens------------------0

PREDICTIONS FOR - :

domisakin: -
#2(Laika): -
Berto90: -
BexTait: -
darth_vader05: -
Ronaldo VII: -
samba: -
blazing_bandicoot: -
Shady05: -
mc_watson87: -
Daveo: -
olliemccowan: -
Weird and Wonderful: -
Vas Deferens: -
mancred: -
bigdave0245: -
Juwel: -
SOUNDBWOY: -
Jayk Bakner: -
Ole_Gunner: -
Steezy20: -
Mithun: -
spamking: -
CheGriffin: -

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Told he has to rest for at least 3 months :frown: Hopefully he'll recover
Watch out for Cindy. :biggrin:
We need to buy a midfielder while the transfer window is still open!
NDGAARONDI
Watch out for Cindy. :biggrin:

Who's Cindy?
Reply 5
I've gotta feel for Scholes, the papers were speculating that he may have a cyst and go blind....the club denied it and then a few days later announce he's out for the rest of the season....I'm worried it might be serious, grew up watching him and would hate this to happen. especially as he's a good sportsman too..

Fergie needs to dip into the market soon...i'm not sure whether he's got the money,plus the players he's likely to want will be in the CL and unlikely to leave for a club with no chance of winning it this season...If we're to get someone top draw, i reckon we should bide our time and get them in the summer.

I just hope fletch ups his game!
wizard
Who's Cindy?

Moderator because it wasn't in the football section but got moved anyway.

As for Scholes, I wonder if his eye problem has been troubling him since the FA Cup final but perhaps didn't realise at the time? Just a thought.
Reply 7
Yeah we probably do need another midfield, but not to replace Scholes (wait and see how he gets on). We've got Ole back who is more than capable of playing in midfeld, plus Rooney could play there, with Van and Saha up front. Another possibility is young Rossi, stick him in Scholes' position, or indeed recall Dave Jones from loan (if possible).

I hope Scholes isn't as serious as some seem to think, although it does seem to have got experts baffled a bit.
Sounds to be like he's slightly dislodged his retina
I think it's more serious than made out, like a cyst. That's the word on the street and it makes sense. He's out for 3 months for flip sake.
I wish Paul Scholes all the best.
wizard
Who's Cindy?

That'll be me!! :girl:
Better late than never. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
There is a rumour that is much worse than first expected and that there is a chance he might have played his last game.

I hope it isn't true as it will be a big loss for us.
NDGAARONDI
Better late than never. :rolleyes:

Worth waiting for though. :wink:
Cindy
Worth waiting for though. :wink:

Afterall, she is Cinderalla of the ball :smile:

How lame....anyway on topic:

Does anyone know of the latest regarding PAUL SCHOLES?
I'm worried, it really would be a sad sad thing if it ended his career. Is his injury more serious than Sissokos?
Reply 16
wizard
Afterall, she is Cinderalla of the ball :smile:

How lame....anyway on topic:

Does anyone know of the latest regarding PAUL SCHOLES?
I'm worried, it really would be a sad sad thing if it ended his career. Is his injury more serious than Sissokos?

Ermm, who's to say? Schole's vision is non-football related, although was probably exacerbated by getting knocked on the head vs. Brum. Sissoko got kicked in the face, opening up the eye, and so he had pretty severe retina damage. Hence the fear about him losing his eyesight and never playing again. Somehow he's training lightly again, running on and off the ball, so he's obviously a tough lad...
Reply 17
BexTait
Yeah we probably do need another midfield, but not to replace Scholes (wait and see how he gets on). We've got Ole back who is more than capable of playing in midfeld, plus Rooney could play there, with Van and Saha up front. Another possibility is young Rossi, stick him in Scholes' position, or indeed recall Dave Jones from loan (if possible).

Yeah, but you play them in midfield, you miss out on what they can offer upfront.

You need to buy. And not just one player, an entire midfield really.

Although lets face it, if you could play the carToons every week, you could probably just send El blanco pele out there on his own :biggrin:
Anyone watching, Man United look like they are cruising.
Reply 19
:frown:

Should be there, got part way there, and had been so held up by snow that I would probably have only arrived at OT about 15 mins ago. Coupled with the forcast saying there'd be more snow and freezing temperatures, and me feeling a bit ill, I decided to turn round. AT least we're winning :smile:

Latest