The Student Room Group

weight loss tips

Hi some more weight loss tips.

No need to stop eating cakes and ice cream, just stop eating dessert. Eating 500 plus calories as a snack immediately after eating 700 plus caloriea for dinner is a bad idea, it will also spike your sugar levels and make you hungry. Eat it as a main meal, breakfast is actually a great choice because getting hungry and eating again later is not an issue for obvious reasons. Of course dont do this every morning for too much sugar is bad

Ditch the concept of lunch and dinner. after breakfast you are likely to get hungry more than twice a day. What tends to happen is you eat 3 big meals and 3 small snacks in between anyway. So why not just eat 6 small meals?

WGR

Scroll to see replies

Just to add to the tips. It's better to eat early when your not so hungry than to wait for when your very hungry to eat because then you eat more. Also at night, it's good to eat hours before you go to bed not immediately before you go to bed. Then always try to exercise to increase your metabolism rate so the fats are broken down.
Reply 2
Tip: burn more energy than you consume, that way, the energy deficit will come out of your fat stores!

count calories and make sure you eat at a deficit

it is THAT simple people.

Oh and here's another ****ing tip: stop looking for shortcuts, magic pills, magic diets or gimmicks.

No gimmicks, no magic pills, no need to eat 6 small meals, no need to eat 3 square meals, no need to eat 1 big meal, no need to snack, no need to drink a certain quantity of water or drink water when hungry, no need to eat specific foods or veggies, no "magic fat loss foods", no need to avoid carbs after 6, no need to avoid carbs at all, no need to avoid sugars, no need to avoid junk food, no need to avoid fat.No need to do cardio or do some bull**** circuit training or swimming or water aerobics or yoga or pilates or zumba or wii fit. You don't even need to lift weights, You certainly dont needa personal trainer or a coach, you don't even need to exercise - at all - to lose weight.

There is only ONE thing that works and matters when it comes to losing weight - be in a caloric deficit over a period of time, and you'll lose weight. It's not even complex guys.

Now can we stop propagating bull**** and start spreading the truth about weight loss? There are things you can do to make weight loss quicker or more efficient or maximise fat loss and minimise muscle loss so your body composition improves and you look better, but at the end of the day, there is only one way to lose weight and that's to eat less than you burn - and the best way to achieve this is to know how many calories your body needs to maintain its weight, and then eat less than that number by tracking calories.

It's not complex to lose weight, it's simple, it's just not easy - it requires willpower and the willingness to embrace the discomfort of a little hunger.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lapis_Lazuli
Just to add to the tips. It's better to eat early when your not so hungry than to wait for when your very hungry to eat because then you eat more. Also at night, it's good to eat hours before you go to bed not immediately before you go to bed. Then always try to exercise to increase your metabolism rate so the fats are broken down.

I agree with the 1st but not the 2nd because it doesnt matter at all what time you.eat
Original post by WGR
I agree with the 1st but not the 2nd because it doesnt matter at all what time you.eat

Well, i didn't tell anybody what time to eat. I only said to eat hours before going to bed. You don't want belly fat now do you??
Reply 5
Well, i didn't tell anybody what time to eat. I only said to eat hours before going to bed. You don't want belly fat now do you??

Are you trolling?
Reply 6
Original post by HFerguson
Tip: burn more energy than you consume, that way, the energy deficit will come out of your fat stores!

Oh and here's another ****ing tip: stop looking for shortcuts, magic pills, magic diets or gimmicks.

No gimmicks, no magic pills, no need to eat 6 small meals, no need to eat 3 square meals, no need to eat 1 big meal, no need to snack, no need to drink a certain quantity of water or drink water when hungry, no need to eat specific foods or veggies, no "magic fat loss foods", no need to avoid carbs after 6, no need to avoid carbs at all, no need to avoid sugars, no need to avoid junk food, no need to avoid fat.No need to do cardio or do some bull**** circuit training or swimming or water aerobics or yoga or pilates or zumba or wii fit. You don't even need to lift weights, You certainly dont needa personal trainer or a coach, you don't even need to exercise - at all - to lose weight.

There is only ONE thing that works and matters when it comes to losing weight - be in a caloric deficit over a period of time, and you'll lose weight. It's not even complex guys.

Now can we stop propagating bull**** and start spreading the truth about weight loss? There are things you can do to make weight loss quicker or more efficient or maximise fat loss and minimise muscle loss so your body composition improves and you look better, but at the end of the day, there is only one way to lose weight and that's to eat less than you burn - and the best way to achieve this is to know how many calories your body needs to maintain its weight, and then eat less than that number by tracking calories.

It's not complex to lose weight, it's simple, it's just not easy - it requires willpower and the willingness to embrace the discomfort of a little hunger.

Hey im on your wavelength bro, i am just saying to shuffle your eating pattern around to avoid getting hungry. If youre constantly hungry when on your caloric deficit then you will not keep it up. Goodfor you if you have the willpower but most people dont.
BURN more calories than you consume:

- REDUCE on sugary food and drinks!
- REDUCE portion sizes so don't eat until you fell "full" because the delay in our psychological processing means you're fuller than you think!

- DRINK more water (Good for health overall but also helps weight loss to an extent)

- EXERCISE more, so more than your occasional or daily walk. Do something that raises cardio e.g. Running or Interval Training or High Intensity Training

- BE more active, don't sit down all day. Be up and about rather than sitting on the couch watching something you don't even enjoy!

Those are the BASIC tips to losing weight. Follow those through and you will be fitter than before! :wink:
eat little and often..

It's not that simple spending my life on the treadmill trying to burn all the calories that i have to consume...
Drink lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots OF WATER.
Original post by ilikesweets
It's not that simple spending my life on the treadmill trying to burn all the calories that i have to consume...

no I can assure you, it really is that simple, if you're not losing weight, you're simply still eating too much. Now there's a big difference between losing weight and getting the body of your dreams i.e. changing your body composition, which takes years and also requires resistance training rather than just cardio

Drink lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots OF WATER.

but why?

Original post by chocolatesauce
eat little and often..

doesn't make a difference - all scientific research has found that meal timing and frequency doesn't affect hunger or weight loss

Original post by LonelyPlanet

- DRINK more water (Good for health overall but also helps weight loss to an extent) )

hey we seem to be on the same wavelength, but how does drinking more water help weight loss? I've not heard any scientific rationale behind that idea but I'd love to be corrected :smile:

Original post by WGR
Hey im on your wavelength bro, i am just saying to shuffle your eating pattern around to avoid getting hungry. If youre constantly hungry when on your caloric deficit then you will not keep it up. Goodfor you if you have the willpower but most people dont.

fair play dude, I think there are tricks to avoid or reduce hunger, but I think hunger is always something you're gonna come up against trying to lose weight, its to be expected. The difficulty is in detaching from hunger as a negative emotion, as most people see it, and just recognising it as a bodily sensation and not letting it get you down.
no I can assure you, it really is that simple, if you're not losing weight, you're simply still eating too much. Now there's a big difference between losing weight and getting the body of your dreams i.e. changing your body composition, which takes years and also requires resistance training rather than just cardio

but why?

doesn't make a difference - all scientific research has found that meal timing and frequency doesn't affect hunger or weight loss

hey we seem to be on the same wavelength, but how does drinking more water help weight loss? I've not heard any scientific rationale behind that idea but I'd love to be corrected :smile:

fair play dude, I think there are tricks to avoid or reduce hunger, but I think hunger is always something you're gonna come up against trying to lose weight, its to be expected. The difficulty is in detaching from hunger as a negative emotion, as most people see it, and just recognising it as a bodily sensation and not letting it get you down.

Burning more calories than you take is easier said than done. It sounds all well and good in theory but who the hell can be bothered?

The benefits of drinking water are endless. Just to name a few, drinking water reduces hunger. Well maybe not hunger, but what you may mistake for hunger, is actually thirst so drinking water obviously stops that. It also cleanses your body. It aids in removing excess sodium from your body. Since sodium can cause bloating and what not, water will prevent that. Also, part of the reason that drinking cold water helps you lose weight is because it lowers your body temperature slightly, which means your heart needs to work extra hard to maintain the ideal body temperature, buring calories in the process.
Burning more calories than you take is easier said than done. It sounds all well and good in theory but who the hell can be bothered?

Lots of people manage this just fine - I've done it succesfully multiple times. Tracking calories is incredibly easy once you do it enough. "But who can be bothered?" you sound incredibly ****ing lazy and unmotivated. I'm not surprised you struggle to do this.

The benefits of drinking water are endless. Just to name a few, drinking water reduces hunger. Well maybe not hunger, but what you may mistake for hunger, is actually thirst so drinking water obviously stops that. It also cleanses your body. It aids in removing excess sodium from your body. Since sodium can cause bloating and what not, water will prevent that. Also, part of the reason that drinking cold water helps you lose weight is because it lowers your body temperature slightly, which means your heart needs to work extra hard to maintain the ideal body temperature, buring calories in the process.

But that's wrong - water has no impact on hunger, and the whole "mistaking thirst for hunger" is a myth - most people are able to discern between the two. Drinking cold water to lower your body temp in an attempt to burn more calories is incredibly ineffective - the difference it makes in calories burnt is truly negligible.
But that's wrong - water has no impact on hunger, and the whole "mistaking thirst for hunger" is a myth - most people are able to discern between the two. Drinking cold water to lower your body temp in an attempt to burn more calories is incredibly ineffective - the difference it makes in calories burnt is truly negligible.

Lol who said I was the one trying to lose weight?
To be honest with you, my goal in life isn't to count the calories I have and burn more. My health is important, yes, but I don't live to burn fat to be perfectly honest with you.
As far as drinking water goes and how effective it is in losing alot of weight, I don't know. But i do know that water has alot of benefits and speaking out of experience i can say that drinking water has stopped me from snacking, it's stopped me from having unecessary calories from other drinks and it's made my skin clearer. It generally makes me feel better so condemn it all you like, i'm still drinking it mate.
Original post by WGR
Hi some more weight loss tips.

No need to stop eating cakes and ice cream, just stop eating dessert. Eating 500 plus calories as a snack immediately after eating 700 plus caloriea for dinner is a bad idea, it will also spike your sugar levels and make you hungry. Eat it as a main meal, breakfast is actually a great choice because getting hungry and eating again later is not an issue for obvious reasons. Of course dont do this every morning for too much sugar is bad

Ditch the concept of lunch and dinner. after breakfast you are likely to get hungry more than twice a day. What tends to happen is you eat 3 big meals and 3 small snacks in between anyway. So why not just eat 6 small meals?

WGR

Are you suggesting eating desserts for breakfast or have I misunderstood that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
My personal summary:

-Calorie deficit ~500 cals
-Heavy resistance training to prevent loss of muscle
-Sufficient protein for muscle maintenance ~0.8g-1g/lb of bodyweight
-Sufficient fat for basic endocrine function ~0.3-0.4g/lb of bodyweight
-Fill remaining calories with carbs, whilst ensuring a decent amount of fibre
-Time

Can't think of anything else of relevance. It's pretty much this simple
Original post by WGR
Are you trolling?

No am not. But am sorry if what i said sounds like am trolling. Didn't mean it that way.

Another tip, starving yourself to loose weight is equivalent to gaining weight. Why? When you starve yourself, your body depends on stored fat. Whenever you eat your body stores more fat that it'll usually do because it thinks there is not enough food to go. Also, if you starve yourself you'll suffer from hunger attacks and when you eat it'll end up being gigantic.
No am not. But am sorry if what i said sounds like am trolling. Didn't mean it that way.

Another tip, starving yourself to loose weight is equivalent to gaining weight. Why? When you starve yourself, your body depends on stored fat. Whenever you eat your body stores more fat that it'll usually do because it thinks there is not enough food to go. Also, if you starve yourself you'll suffer from hunger attacks and when you eat it'll end up being gigantic.

Okay, you're trolling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol who said I was the one trying to lose weight?
To be honest with you, my goal in life isn't to count the calories I have and burn more. My health is important, yes, but I don't live to burn fat to be perfectly honest with you.
As far as drinking water goes and how effective it is in losing alot of weight, I don't know. But i do know that water has alot of benefits and speaking out of experience i can say that drinking water has stopped me from snacking, it's stopped me from having unecessary calories from other drinks and it's made my skin clearer. It generally makes me feel better so condemn it all you like, i'm still drinking it mate.

He never disputed drinking water for general health. He never condemned it either.

You claimed it helps with weight loss (which is *******s). Just because my car is really good at being a car doesn't mean it also makes a great plane. This is your argument. This is why you look stupid. Pls go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest