The Student Room Group

weight loss tips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MattBerry96
Whether or not drinking water does or doesn't help you lose weight if you don't drink enough and stay hydrated your gonna get seriously ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder how many people are admitted to hospital each year seriously dehydrated because they just didn't drink enough water - because in young healthy people, it simply doesn't happen, because the biological drive to stay hydrated (and experience thirst and modify your behaviours to rectify that thirst) is incredibly strong.

Seriously, did you go to school and people would whisper rumours on the playground like "hey did you hear about the kid who forgot to drink his water? yeah I heard he died". Cmon man, use common sense.
Original post by HFerguson
I wonder how many people are admitted to hospital each year seriously dehydrated because they just didn't drink enough water - because in young healthy people, it simply doesn't happen, because the biological drive to stay hydrated (and experience thirst and modify your behaviours to rectify that thirst) is incredibly strong.

Seriously, did you go to school and people would whisper rumours on the playground like "hey did you hear about the kid who forgot to drink his water? yeah I heard he died". Cmon man, use common sense.

I recon many more people are admitted each year than you think. Cant be bothered to try and find any actual evidence at this time but I will have a look tomorrow.
Lots of people do not drink enough whether the amount they are drinking may not always cause a hospital admission it certainly isn't healthy.
I recon many more people are admitted each year than you think. Cant be bothered to try and find any actual evidence at this time but I will have a look tomorrow.
Lots of people do not drink enough whether the amount they are drinking may not always cause a hospital admission it certainly isn't healthy.

well as a medic who's been on the wards, I can tell you that the only people we see admitted with dehydration are the elderly or those who are ill with severe infections
Firstly, I'm not deluding myself into thinking I know a lot about this subject - I know I know a lot about this subject because I've studied nutrition as part of my medical degree and I'm currently acquiring a second degree in sports and exercise medicine, so I like to think I know what I;m talking about.

Secondly, the quote you posted isn't a journal article. Try again. Regardless, the study is flawed because they did not control for appetite, portion size or caloric deficit - they simply said "drink more water". You're telling me that if 2 people, with exactly the same caloric requirements, ate the exact same meals and ate the exact same number of calories, but one person drank more water, that person would lose weight? Because that's just horse-****. I can accept the argument that drinking water satiates you and reduces your chances of over eating, but that means water indirectly helps you lose weight, but doesn't cause weight loss itself - which is what I was arguing the entire time.

Lastly, saying **** like "You're tricking yourself into thinking that you know alot about this subject by saying big words" doesn't actually counter my argument - it's totally irrelevant to the argument at hand and is just straw man/ad hominem. Not to mention the fact that you wrote "Water, which is calorie-free, facilitates the body’s metabolic systems", which is arguably a load of big words and you're deluding yourself into thinking you know more than you do. Care to elaborate on those metabolic systems bro?

It's nearly 2014 and I can't believe people are still looking for magic bullets to weight losss - people are so desperate they're even touting water as a weight loss aid.

The study was controlled, both groups had the same diet. 1 group had water on top the other did not.

No one is saying water is a magic pill for weight loss, so stop denying it.

You're also denying something which people who are far more experienced then you have proven.
Just because it hasn't been in a journal or hasn't been peer reviewed doesn't mean its the science magically becomes wrong.
(edited 10 years ago)
well as a medic who's been on the wards, I can tell you that the only people we see admitted with dehydration are the elderly or those who are ill with severe infections

Fair enough then.
Although as you often point out, you are a medic, therefore you should understand that being even slightly dehydrated is not good at all.
Original post by goldenfish
The study was controlled, both groups had the same diet. 1 group had water on top the other did not.

No one is saying water is a magic pill for weight loss, so stop denying it.
You're also denying something which people who are far more experienced then you have proven. Just because it hasn't been in a journal or hasn't been peer reviewed doesn't mean its the science magically becomes wrong.

if it hasn't been in a journal or isn't peer review then it's worthless evidence and might as well be ignored. THAT IS HOW SCIENCE WORKS.

Fair enough then.
Although as you often point out, you are a medic, therefore you should understand that being even slightly dehydrated is not good at all.

being slightly dehydrated is really not as harmful as you're making it out to be, and very few people are chronically dehydrated
(edited 10 years ago)
if it hasn't been in a journal or isn't peer review then it's worthless evidence and might as well be ignored. THAT IS HOW SCIENCE WORKS.

being slightly dehydrated is really not as harmful as you're making it out to be, and very few people are chronically dehydrated

So you're basically saying that bodies of the participants would behave differently if this was a journal?

No, of course not, so this study is still viable.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
So you're basically saying that bodies of the participants would behave differently if this was a journal?

Unless it's peer reviewed, there's no logical way the validity of the results can be confirmed, basically

no but im saying, without peer review, the study is subject to huge bias and cannot be validated as reliable evidence. The methodology could be completely flawed.
Original post by bertstare
Unless it's peer reviewed, there's no logical way the validity of the results can be confirmed, basically

The validity can be confirmed by repeating the study, you should know that.
There's countless studies that prove the correlation.

Why do you think the majority of dieticians tell people who are trying to lose weight to drink water before eating?
Why would they give wrong advice to clients?

okay, you want a journal, here it is:

Our results indicate that when combined with a hypocaloric diet, consuming 500 ml (∼16 fl oz) of water prior to each of the three main daily meals (1.5 l/d) leads to ∼2 kg greater weight loss over 12 weeks as compared to a hypocaloric diet alone. This difference was attributed to a 44% greater rate of weight loss among water group participants compared to nonwater participants over the 12-week period.

study taken by:
The North American Association for the Study of Obesity

In their research journal titled: Obesity.

found at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2009.235/full
(edited 10 years ago)
Having tried it, the whole 'water reduces your appetite' thing is nonsense. It won't have any significant impact on weight loss, certainly not above diet and exercise. People would rather suggest 'easy' things that produce limited results at best instead of encouraging the kind discipline that will help people control their weight for life.

The first step to weight loss is accepting that it won't be easy.
okay, you want a journal, here it is:

study taken by:
The North American Association for the Study of Obesity

In their research journal titled: Obesity.

found at
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1038/oby.2009.235/full

fair play dude, I will now advocate this :smile:
Reply 53
Are you suggesting eating desserts for breakfast or have I misunderstood that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and no. Im saying if youre going to eat a cake your best off eating it in the morning as a main meal. Eating extremely calorie dense and sugary food as a snack straight after stuffing your face on dinner is a bad idea if you think about it. Im not however advocating eating cake for breakfast everyday
Reply 54
Original post by ilikesweets
It's not that simple spending my life on the treadmill trying to burn all the calories that i have to consume...

That is not how you lose weight. The majority of people are thin yet they do hardly any excercise. Why? Because they eat less. You simply eat too much.
Original post by WGR
That is not how you lose weight. The majority of people are thin yet they do hardly any excercise. Why? Because they eat less. You simply eat too much.

I don't. When i was younger i did, but now i don't. I have lost a lot of weight probably because iv'e lost interest in food, i just want to be a little more toned. I will probably need excercise for that right?
Reply 56
Original post by ilikesweets
I don't. When i was younger i did, but now i don't. I have lost a lot of weight probably because iv'e lost interest in food, i just want to be a little more toned. I will probably need excercise for that right?

If youre fat you do. End of argument. Also no such thing as toning, you either make your muscles bigger or cut fat to show them more

Quick Reply

Latest