The Student Room Group

Dumped by text?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by luckylaurax
What if he never gets back to me? :frown:

I personally think you're better off without him.
Reply 21
So you think I should wait to see if he initiates friendship? What if he never gets back to me? :frown:

Yeah, just wait.

And if he doesn't get back to you, it's HIS loss, not yours, you'll move on, and you'll find somebody that's worth your time, believe me, you're only young.,

Life is like a ride, there's ups and downs, you just have to leave things sometimes!
So you think I should wait to see if he initiates friendship? What if he never gets back to me? :frown:

Then it's his loss and you deserve better :smile:
Original post by meenu89
I personally think you're better off without him.

Original post by Flexa
Yeah, just wait.

And if he doesn't get back to you, it's HIS loss, not yours, you'll move on, and you'll find somebody that's worth your time, believe me, you're only young.,

Life is like a ride, there's ups and downs, you just have to leave things sometimes!

I guess, I think he was also making "pulling" jokes to his mates apparently about which girl is fit enough to pull :frown: He also has a big ego, he was saying how he thinks he should be a model etc. because he is so good looking. He is not but his kind and charming personality really struck me once he got over himself. He was also really funny and knew how to make me laugh.
Reply 24
I guess, I think he was also making "pulling" jokes to his mates apparently about which girl is fit enough to pull :frown: He also has a big ego, he was saying how he thinks he should be a model etc. because he is so good looking. He is not but his kind and charming personality really struck me once he got over himself. He was also really funny and knew how to make me laugh.

Leave it alone, trust me.
Original post by Flexa
Leave it alone, trust me.

Alright, I think I just care too much about people when I meet them. I'm an aspiring social worker and last week on a volunteer placement, I felt upset close to tears for a girl in a wheelchair even though I did not know them personally. It's just a big problem for me and i'm just going to have to "toughen" up. I open my heart too easily I guess and I opened myself all the way to this particular guy :frown: It's just such a shame because I cared about him so much.
Original post by reapingunicorn32
I think that's what he's done - broken up by text so he doesn't feel any guilt or sadness in front of you as he is too cowardly to deal with it in front of you. Doing it that way was selfish on his part and I understand how much you care for him.

8000 texts - That's a lot over the space of just a few months but I've had 20000 + texts with someone who I was never going to meet for about a year but I was convinced that I would meet her someday and I had very strong feelings for her but in the end, I thought that it wasn't worth over-thinking it and I decided to stop thinking about her and I moved on.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is is that 8000 texts might seem a lot and it may seem like that's a big deal to you but if you leave each other be for a little while and try not to think about him and concentrate on other things in your life, you'll realize how much happier you are and you will get over him much easier.

And I understand that he's your first relationship and why that's hard to let go - my ex broke up with me about 2 months ago and she was my first as well and it hurt me so deep I didn't know what to do with myself. But over the past month, I've felt much happier and I am engaging with family a lot more and love that my dad and sister are there for me and I am there for them. I think you should do the same - go out with family and enjoy yourselves. That'll ease your conscience and will hopefully, eventually, make you feel happy inside.

Hope I've helped you at all :smile:
Okay, this was tremendously helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this reply out. If he tries to initiate contact any time soon or later on, should I talk to him?
Reply 27
omg and he dumped you on new years as well :no: That's horrible.
Don't try with him.

It'll be really hard for you to be friends with him if you have feelings for him because you'll always be hoping that he'll want to go out with you again and it'll stop you moving on and if he's being difficult and ignoring you, there's a chance that he doesn't even want to be friends and was just saying that to make you feel better.

You don't deserve to be messed around.

Delete him on social media if you feel it'd help you move on but otherwise just leave it if you want. As long as you're not obsessively checking his page to see what he's doing. It's good to delete people when it gets to that stage.
Should I even try to be his friend? Also, should I delete and block him off facebook and twitter etc.? He was my first kiss, at 17 so I do truly care for him and have feelings for him, some advice would be helpful as he was my first proper relationship :frown:

It sounds like he's left a big hole - which is natural when you're really into someone. When you're interacting and talking to someone a huge amount it's hard to imagine how you'll fill the gap. It will take time but you'll get through it, as we all know time is a healer. Maybe take some time out from the 'friendship' now - just to give you some time to heal, at a time like this it's hard to see the wood from the trees.

My friends and I like to think that each relationship we have is an adventure - sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But during that time you'll learn so much about yourself and about the type of person you do want to be with in the future.

Maybe, just maybe, this guy was a practice run and a lovely guy is just around the corner :smile: This happened to my friend a couple of months ago - she was seeing someone for a 2 or 3 months, a real whirlwind romance and then out of the blue he went back to his ex. She felt heartbroken. A month later she was introduced to a friend of mine and boom 4 months later it's potentially a love of lifetime! So exciting!

Take each day as it comes and stay strong :h:
Original post by Tai Ga
omg and he dumped you on new years as well :no: That's horrible.
Well 2013 definitely ended with a bang, that's for sure.
Ignore and move on
Original post by She-RaBrighton
It sounds like he's left a big hole - which is natural when you're really into someone. When you're interacting and talking to someone a huge amount it's hard to imagine how you'll fill the gap. It will take time but you'll get through it, as we all know time is a healer. Maybe take some time out from the 'friendship' now - just to give you some time to heal, at a time like this it's hard to see the wood from the trees.

My friends and I like to think that each relationship we have is an adventure - sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't. But during that time you'll learn so much about yourself and about the type of person you do want to be with in the future.

Maybe, just maybe, this guy was a practice run and a lovely guy is just around the corner :smile: This happened to my friend a couple of months ago - she was seeing someone for a 2 or 3 months, a real whirlwind romance and then out of the blue he went back to his ex. She felt heartbroken. A month later she was introduced to a friend of mine and boom 4 months later it's potentially a love of lifetime! So exciting!

Take each day as it comes and stay strong :h:

Original post by lizlaz350
Don't try with him.

It'll be really hard for you to be friends with him if you have feelings for him because you'll always be hoping that he'll want to go out with you again and it'll stop you moving on and if he's being difficult and ignoring you, there's a chance that he doesn't even want to be friends and was just saying that to make you feel better.

You don't deserve to be messed around.

Delete him on social media if you feel it'd help you move on but otherwise just leave it if you want. As long as you're not obsessively checking his page to see what he's doing. It's good to delete people when it gets to that stage.

I think I'm going to give it how long I need to get over him before I even think about contacting him. Possibly a few months to see how I feel about the situation to see if I should even try to be friends with him or if I think he is not worth my time. If he tries to contact me soon if i'm not ready, what should I say to him? I think I might want to be friends in the future :frown:
Original post by Legendairy
Ignore and move on

I might ignore for a couple of months and then try to be friends with him?

Or you could stay on friends terms from now...ignoring isn't always nice

Just see how you feel then, so many things could happen in that time - you may not want to be friends with him in a couple of months.
Nope, doesn't seem so, a very bad start to 2014 :frown:

Ah, I was just kidding, things will get better.
Reply 37
See, what I don't understand is this:

We hit it off straight away, we were texting each other morning till night literally every 5 minutes.

You clearly are happy with texts as a proxy for regular conversation. Why then are you bothered by it when it comes to splitting up? Splitting up by text seems like a perfectly normal extension of your relationship as you have described it.

I'm sorry if that seems insensitive; I just honestly don't understand it, but then again you don't have to justify yourself - feelings are feelings, no matter how rational or irrational.

I started talking to him as a friend which he was slow in replying but now he is not texting me back whatsoever.

I don't know what to say to this. Looks like he strung you along but he also could just have got sick of texting every 5 minutes. :dontknow:

I'm deeply upset and wonder if I should give it a week and try to text him again asking how he was or should I just leave it? If he does try to communicate with me, should I respond? Should I even try to be his friend? Also, should I delete and block him off facebook and twitter etc.? He was my first kiss, at 17 so I do truly care for him and have feelings for him, some advice would be helpful as he was my first proper relationship :frown:

You clearly have very strong feelings for him, and I would say it is difficult to be friends in such a situation until your feelings have disappeared. (Furthermore, he doesn't seem to be making any efforts to be friends, so he probably didn't mean it but was just trying to be nice.) Overcoming your attachment to him will be easier to achieve if you have no contact; if you are around him regularly you may long for him for years and ultimately that's not good because it will keep you from moving on. I think it would be better to cut contact or at least not actively seek contact.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
Why is it seen as socially unacceptable to dump someone by text? I'd rather be dumped by text so instead of breaking down in tears you could just reply with "**** you then, your sister isfitter anyway. "
Getting dumped will suck regardless but face to face is worse IMO, harder to maintain your dignity.
Original post by MJ1012
Why is it seen as socially unacceptable to dump someone by text? I'd rather be dumped by text so instead of breaking down in tears you could just reply with "**** you then, your sister isfitter anyway. "
Getting dumped will suck regardless but face to face is worse IMO, harder to maintain your dignity.

He was taking the cowards way out by texting. It's harder for him to say it to my face.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending