The Student Room Group

Has anyone here got pregnant when using the 'pull out method'

I know that it is not really a method of contraception, but many people I know practise this. They say that when used properly IE. when the guy is experienced enough to know when to pull out, that it is actually effective. I know they say there is danger of precum but apparently that is only possible if a guy doesn't pee after he last ejaculated?

I have never used this method myself but I was thinking, our grandparents would have relied on the pull out method as well as the rhythm method. My grandma actually told me that it never failed her (yes I know, TMI!)

Has anyone here got pregnant when using the pull out method, and not when the guy didn't pull out in time, I mean when it was used 'properly?'
Reply 1
Not me but my friend used the pull out method with her boyfriend when they had run out of condoms and decided to chance it.

I went to their kid's first birthday party a few days ago.
Reply 2
It most certainly is a method of contraception. Like all the others, it has advantages (always available, nil financial cost, etc) and disadvantages (needs trust, doesn't protect against STIs as much as condoms, etc).

Because of the 'it isn't really a method of contraception' stuff, it's often not included in surveys and studies, but have a look at the Oxford Study, when it comes out as about reliable as condoms for long term users. Have a read of Germaine Greer's Sex and Destiny: The Politics of Human Fertility for some of the back story.
Reply 3
Condoms and the pill were available during our grandparents time, I think it wouldve been more our great grandparents who wouldve had to rely on pull out and rhythm methods (I also heard that it was pretty common for couples just to do oral or anal if they wanted to avoid pregnancy back then). Ive heard the samething before, its suppose to be about as effective condoms when used correctly. Saying that I wouldnt try it myself though, dont think I could trust it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I have relied on this quite a bit and think, if you know what you are doing, it is reasonably safe. BUT one thing is clear, it is not the method to use if pregnancy is an absolute disaster for you, there are just too many variables. Note also, despite your grandma's experience, the number of kids people tended to end up with in the pre-contraception days.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
I have relied on this quite a bit and think, if you know what you are doing, it is reasonably safe. BUT one thing is clear, it is not the method to use if pregnancy is an absolute disaster for you, there are just too many variables. Note also, despite your grandma experience, the number of kids people tended to end up with in the pre-contraception days.

Thats true my grandparents all came from families that had 6+ kids :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest