The Student Room Group

Entry for Pharmacy

Hi, I was wondering how crucial the personal statement is if you are to apply to study pharmacy at either one of the following uni's: Kings's college, LSP or Aston University. I was informed that a majority of admissions tutors base their decision of offers primarily on academic achievement and so if one achieves AAB or AABB at as level/A-level, they stand a V.good chance of getting an offer, regardless of their ps? anyone help!!? thanks..
:smile:
If you already have your results for A Level then I guess the PS may be less important. But you have to consider that you've listed some of the most popular schools there, which get 10+ applications per place - most of the applications are going to be from people with a reasonable shot of getting in based on grades.

Plus many people applying for pharmacy do it as a backup for dentistry/medicine - so the PS is an important opportunity to differentiate yourself from others, show your commitment to the subject, other achievements as well as your A Level/AS results, etc. - give them a reason to pick you rather than just any of the dozens of people with high predicted grades.
Reply 2
I see, yeh Pharmacy is my first subject choice..but if i was to get a lot higher then their entry requirements, say AAAB then they surely would more readily accept you then most who apply with BBB.
Just for information, mentioning Young Enterprise, Voluntary work for age concern, hopefully work shadowing or w/e in a pharmacist, a week spent shadowing a dentist (was thinking of doing this originally), science fairs and specific interest in pharmacy will be adequate, provided very high grades ( higher then they ask?)??
Reply 3
Yes obviously getting very good AS grades will increase your chances - but you will be up agains a lot of people who ALSO have those grades - if you consider that a good percentage of these people will be applying for medicine then that gives you an idea of what you're up against. Your PS will be key. (Hint - use the Ask a PS Helper forum to go over your PS!!)
Reply 4
Bekaboo
Yes obviously getting very good AS grades will increase your chances - but you will be up agains a lot of people who ALSO have those grades - if you consider that a good percentage of these people will be applying for medicine then that gives you an idea of what you're up against. Your PS will be key. (Hint - use the Ask a PS Helper forum to go over your PS!!)

Yes thank you, I will intend on doing that once I have completed my PS. From your reply, you said many applicants would have been applying to medicine, but surely they would give priority to those applicants who have put pharmacy down as their first subject choice with their personal statement specific to their interest in pharmacy and not medicine?? I do see your point and you have fuelled my desire to achieve top grades, higher then the entry requirements.:smile:
Reply 5
Ryan im in the same boat. Im not concerned about grades. Im concerned about extra cirricular activities.
Ive done Young enterprise, play squash, badminton, cricket, am a prefect, done a week at Astrazeneca, doing a week at a pharmacy (next week!), teach myself Hindi. I hope that will be ok?
Yeah all of that will be fine - start with the work experience, mention prefect/young enterprise and then just squeeze in whatever else you can.
Reply 7
RyanY
Yes thank you, I will intend on doing that once I have completed my PS. From your reply, you said many applicants would have been applying to medicine, but surely they would give priority to those applicants who have put pharmacy down as their first subject choice with their personal statement specific to their interest in pharmacy and not medicine?? I do see your point and you have fuelled my desire to achieve top grades, higher then the entry requirements.:smile:

Ah sorry I wasn't being very clear. Yes you're right if somebody's PS is very much geared towards medicine then they're likely to get a rejection from any pharmacy courses they apply to - BUT considering that many of the reasons why people wish to study them may be the same, and they require the same A levels, and people are likely to have done the same sorts of extra curriculars / extra reading it is quite easy to tailor a personal statement to both courses.

I'm not trying to scare you or anything! I just didn't want you thinking that you'd only be up against people who hadn't met the grade requirements! Good luck
Have you guys just come on here to brag about all the stuff you've done? :p: *LoL* I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with that as long as you write a good PS. And everyone remember to apply to Cardiff cos it's fun!
Reply 9
I would say in my case the personal statement was quite important, as my AS grades weren't anywhere near as good as all yours, and to get offers from good uni's like i did e.g manchester and nottingham, i think they must have looked at something other than just my grades....thank god :smile:
Reply 10
LOL. I see. Yeah I am planning to get Work shadowing in retail Pharmacy and maybe hospital pharmacy, to show that I am passionate and have a fueled desire to explore the broad sectors in pharmacy. Yes i agree, PS are important, but it depends which Uni you are thinking of applying to..I know that the LSOP base their decisions mainly on academic ability, or so I was told. But yeh.....W/e is not essential but it is a good thing to put on your ps as well as YE or DOE. I guess the important thing to highlight in your ps for pharmacy is commitment, responsibility, enthusiasm (i.e discuss why you wish to pursue a career in Pharmacy) and communication skills ( i.e. all of us who have done Young Enterprise can discuss how it developed our communication skills, public interaction (in my case), leadership, and the ability to mediate and consider opposing viewpoints)....Has anyone done some kind of charity work? I took part in a survey on behalf of age concern where I had to ask members of the public questions from age concern...?

Latest

Trending

Trending