The Student Room Group

Portable Gaming consoles

Is there a particular one that you like? One that you would recommend for a 16 year old who likes a variety of games e.g. action shooting/fighting games and old-school platformers like mario. I was think either PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS (XL?)

Idek. Just suddenly had this craving for gaming.
Reply 1
To be honest, no.
Reply 2
Gameboy Advance. All you'll ever need.

P.S. make sure you take 12-16 spare AA batteries.
Vita has to be the answer really.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Original post by MudbloodPrincess
Is there a particular one that you like? One that you would recommend for a 16 year old who likes a variety of games e.g. action shooting/fighting games and old-school platformers like mario. I was think either PS Vita or Nintendo 3DS (XL?)

Idek. Just suddenly had this craving for gaming.

I have a Vita and it's pretty good. Make sure you buy it on an offer, I wouldn't justify £250 for it. Also, get a memory card.
I really like my PS Vita, but I think I use my Gameboy Colour more than it :biggrin:
I still have my Nintendo SP :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
I still have my Nintendo SP :colondollar:

I still have my original (1989) Game Boy. But it's broken :frown:
3DS. A link between worlds didn't just magically get 10/10 reviews.
Easy, 3DS, loads of fantastic games on it, particularly what came out last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
3DS. There's some Mario games that are quite like the old ones, plus you actually can buy some of the old ones on it. And there's a huge library of DS games you can play on it.

I want a reason to get a Vita, but right now there aren't enough games I want to justify it. Given your interests, the 3DS sounds like a better bet.
Original post by River85
I still have my original (1989) Game Boy. But it's broken :frown:

Keep it and show it to your kids :rofl2:
Reply 12
Original post by FlavaFavourFruit
Keep it and show it to your kids :rofl2:

I plan to. Or my nephews/nieces as I probably won't have kids.

I also have a NES which I can only assume still works. Both it and the Gameboy were left in a cupboard. When I was doing some cleaning years later I tried to turn on the Gameboy to find it wouldn't turn on. I haven't set the NES up to check.

Spectrum got chucked by my father a long time ago :frown:

Anyway, back to portable consoles, my vote also goes for the 3DS. Though, depending on how much time and money you have (and whether or not you're desperate for new gen), you might find a Gameboy Advance SP can still suit your needs . Much cheaper and, though there aren't any new titles obviously, you'll be kept busy with old ones.
I had a gameboy too! Though I gave it to my cousin when I 'outgrew' it .__. worst decision ever.

I'm thinking the 3DS, but are there good games for it that involve fighting? I really like games like assassins creed and I want to try call of duty etc.
Original post by MudbloodPrincess
I had a gameboy too! Though I gave it to my cousin when I 'outgrew' it .__. worst decision ever.

I'm thinking the 3DS, but are there good games for it that involve fighting? I really like games like assassins creed and I want to try call of duty etc.

If you're after shooters / fighters I;d say PS Vita is a better bet. Nintendo games tend to be a bit more family-friendly.
Original post by Bhumbauze
If you're after shooters / fighters I;d say PS Vita is a better bet. Nintendo games tend to be a bit more family-friendly.

Yeah, but I really cant justify spending 300 on Oct right now. Is buying a ps3000 or 2000 better?
Reply 16
Go with 3DS. It's more suited to your gaming taste.
Original post by noggins
Go with 3DS. It's more suited to your gaming taste.

I already have a ds lite, and PSP would be more suited, especially since I tend to enjoy the action games more. The only choice now is 2000, 3000, Go, or Vita.
Reply 18
I'm 16 and I must say, the 2DS isn't that bad. It's cheaper than the 3DS without the 3D gimmick hurting eyes and has most of the same features (yes, including the 3D camera, which is a bit odd.) Plays all the 3DS and original DS games. Good buy for Nintendo fans. It's also really comfy compared to it's 3D counterpart

Quick Reply

Latest