The Student Room Group

Choosing options at A-level help! :)

Hey,
I'm confused about what I'm going to choose.
I've already decided that I definitely want to study Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
I've achieved an A* in both Maths and Chemistry GCSE in year 10.
I'm stuck between History and Further Maths.
I genuinely love maths, but it seems like Further maths are for people who take physics as it suits with their options.
In History, I'm predicted an A grade and I enjoy it a lot, but I really want to get an A in as level history as well as A2, but I'm not sure if I can do it, even if I put so much effort in.
Do you think it's possible?
Thank you!
Original post by Bloom77
Hey,
I've already decided that I definitely want to study Maths, Chemistry and Biology.
I genuinely love maths, but it seems like Further maths are for people who take physics as it suits with their options.
In History, I'm predicted an A grade and I enjoy it a lot, but I really want to get an A in as level history as well as A2, but I'm not sure if I can do it, even if I put so much effort in.
Thank you!

Id probably do history. Its an essay subject, which is a contrast and will give you a break from the other 3 which are all maths/science based. Plus it always looks good to have an essay one along with your others.
Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Bloom77
Thank you! :smile:

What do you want to do at uni?
Original post by Bloom77
Hey,
Thank you!

I personally loved my History A Level. Doing Chemistry and Biology to A2, it was always a lovely 'break' to not spend my time with my head stuck in a textbook! Don't get me wrong, it's hard work, but History certainly broadens your later options and an A is totally attainable if you work hard. It's quite different to GCSE though :smile:
Hey everyone,
thanks for answering.
I'm planning to do medicine or veteriniery science (yeah, lol, I know, that's what everyone wants to do).
But, I genuinely love health!
I really enjoy history at school!!! But, I'm secure on that A grade.
I will most definitely put in the work at A-level for History!
Thank you!
Hopefully, I can get that A grade!
Reply 6
I chose all 3 sciences and maths and definitely wished that I had done something different which inst as science/maths based. I would recommend that you do history because it makes broadens your mind and is quite interesting. Personally I find maths difficult because the teachers have to work at a very fast pace to cover content which means A LOT of work outside of lesson but if you get a good grade in maths it can open up your options. I have one tip, before starting maths and science at a level i would have a look back at gcse and freshen the mind up because you wouldn't have seen it for a year and these subjects build on your GCSE knowledge.

Quick Reply

Latest