The Student Room Group

University choice for medicine??

I'm having a really hard time deciding which universities to apply to in September. I know that i definitely want to do Medicine, and I've been working really hard for this by getting lots and lots of work experience etc.

I originally wanted to apply to London universities such as UCL, Kings, Imperial, Queen Mary's or St. George's but my parents have been very adamant that i put Oxford University as one of my choices because we live in Oxford, therefore its cheaper for me to just study here.

However i only achieved 5 A*s and 5 As at GCSE, and my AS Level predictions seem to be AAAB. I know that Oxford Uni places a lot of importance in GCSE grades so I think that it will most probably be a stupid choice to apply there because I have a very slim chance of getting in, furthermore i don't do much extracurricular things such as sports at county level or music at grade 8 or things like that which I've heard is very important to them as well.

Do i even have a chance of getting into Oxford Uni? or even medicine?
no chance of oxford mate sorry. Medicine yeah definitely as long as you UKCAT is 700 plus. Are you doing BMAT? you need to get above 50% in each section for an interview at UCL and ICL.

About the extra curricular: have something that you've done for a long time (like 6 years) and something thats not completely useless (sports/music/volunteering- all are good)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
With medicine, you just need to be concerned about the area / campus / accommodation you will be staying in.

With Oxford your going to be going against tough competition. But dont worry, for medicine there isnt a 'best med school'
Those GCSEs admittedly are below average for Oxford, particularly for medicine, but if the rest of your application is strong then you might as well go for it (if you're prepared to take up a choice with it) - if you manage to get to interview, that will be their main indicator. And no, Oxford don't really care about whether you can play grade 8 flute, though work experience will be essential.

You can definitely get into medicine. Just make sure you kill the UKCAT/BMAT.
See - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine for lots of inf about applying for Medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest