The Student Room Group

24 and still undecided

Hello. As the title says, I am 24 years old and want to return back to education next September, but can't decide on what to do. I was once in university at 18, but ended up not going on due to depression. I am now very eager and motivated to start studying again, the problem is I can't decide which course to do. I always enjoyed languages and social sciences, so I would like to study International Relations, where I could study different subjects from Law, to History, to languages, but have been told it's an area where it's difficult to get a job, and it would be even more difficult for me because I would finish at 27 and have no experience. The other option would be Logistics/Distribution Management. It's an area which I believe is full of potential, and jobs are available. I am doing a 1 year course on it and have been enjoying, but I'm not very good at Maths,and am quite frightened that I would fail because of Maths. I have lost quite a significant number of years and wouldn't want to fail back any more.

I thank you for taking some time to read this, any comment would be nice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Science
Reply 2
I think the best way to succeed in a degree is to choose a subject which genuinely interests you. Whilst getting a specific job in International Relations might be very difficult, a degree in that subject would give you a lot of transferrable skills. You needn't be limited to IR as a career afterwards.
Reply 3
International Relations isn't a vocational subject so it doesn't limit the jobs you can get, it may be difficult to get a job in an an exact IR job like at the United Nations for example but it definitely wouldn't limit your career choices.
make sure you work all your summers. and yes you are a late starter, its a tough road. but i dont think its too late. if you are 34 now, i would think very very carefully what you do next.

if its a course with a job attached at the end of the course, you might be all right. but other subjects, there is no guarantee that you have a job at the end of it. even for medicine or nursing, you will be what, 7 years behind your peers. some can climb up from there - they skip ranks, others just stay in entry or junior positions for the rest of your life.

even in medicine you can still be a consultant. you are not that old. you will work hard though.
Reply 5
sanitation officer?
Reply 6
Original post by KICHMYARSE
but other subjects, there is no guarantee that you have a job at the end of it.

The vast majority of degree courses won't guarantee a job at the end of them, regardless of age. Even nursing, medical and legal graduates struggle finding work or the correct work experience at the moment.

A "vocational" degree in no way guarantees a job - in fact it might paint you into a corner as far as employment goes. Maybe a more flexible degree would be more useful.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
The vast majority of degree courses won't guarantee a job at the end of them, regardless of age. Even nursing, medical and legal graduates struggle finding work or the correct work experience at the moment.

A "vocational" degree in no way guarantees a job - in fact it might paint you into a corner as far as employment goes. Maybe a more flexible degree would be more useful.

a good point. the thing is flexible degrees mean it's the employer's market. there are 2 candidates, one is 22 fresh grad, another one is 28 (god knows what he or she has been up to), since neither have any experience or contacts in the industry, it doesnt make much difference which one the employer decides to hire.

most employers would take the younger one. some employers that value independent work (so dont want to supervise much) would take the older one. you might get lucky. you might get interviewers who were sympathetic to your background/stories.

it is ageism. but thats how it works. age is good only if it comes with more experience, relevant experience and a long list of contacts.

and the last point. if you do decide to go into law, be realistic about what you plan to achieve. its a massively competitive industry where most are expected to go into the proper training before the age of 25. you can still be solicitor in high street. but becoming one of those high flying lawyers in the city or judges is a different story.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Klaas
Hello. As the title says, I am 24 years old and want to return back to education next September, but can't decide on what to do. I was once in university at 18, but ended up not going on due to depression. I am now very eager and motivated to start studying again, the problem is I can't decide which course to do. I always enjoyed languages and social sciences, so I would like to study International Relations, where I could study different subjects from Law, to History, to languages, but have been told it's an area where it's difficult to get a job, and it would be even more difficult for me because I would finish at 27 and have no experience. The other option would be Logistics/Distribution Management. It's an area which I believe is full of potential, and jobs are available. I am doing a 1 year course on it and have been enjoying, but I'm not very good at Maths,and am quite frightened that I would fail because of Maths. I have lost quite a significant number of years and wouldn't want to fail back any more.

My advice would be to do what you are the most interested in. Ignore what people say about 'age' and getting a job as its not true. Lots of people change career and '27' isn't old. There are plenty of jobs on http://www.w4mp.org/ relating to international relations and there are always opportunities for graduate internships and work placements to make the relevant connections. There might even be the opportunity to do a work placement as part of the degree that you get accept to.

The other thing to bare in mind is that Logstics/Distribution Managers person specifications don't specifically ask for a logistics degree. They ask for a variety of transferable skills that you can acquire from most degrees.

e.g.
http://www.maginternational.org/silo/files/lm-ps-v1-pdf.pdf
or http://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Upload/vacancies/files/244/N039%20PS.pdf
or http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/pdf/Logistics-Coordinator-SE%20JD.pdf
Reply 9
a good point. the thing is flexible degrees mean it's the employer's market. there are 2 candidates, one is 22 fresh grad, another one is 28 (god knows what he or she has been up to), since neither have any experience or contacts in the industry, it doesnt make much difference which one the employer decides to hire.

most employers would take the younger one. some employers that value independent work (so dont want to supervise much) would take the older one. you might get lucky. you might get interviewers who were sympathetic to your background/stories.

it is ageism. but thats how it works. age is good only if it comes with more experience, relevant experience and a long list of contacts.

and the last point. if you do decide to go into law, be realistic about what you plan to achieve. its a massively competitive industry where most are expected to go into the proper training before the age of 25. you can still be solicitor in high street. but becoming one of those high flying lawyers in the city or judges is a different story.

Disagree with everything that you have written. In my experience and that of other 'mature' graduates it is the person with the life experience / age that gets the job.
Original post by El Scotto
Disagree with everything that you have written. In my experience and that of other 'mature' graduates it is the person with the life experience / age that gets the job.

what industries are they? one exception i can think of higher education.
what industries are they? one exception i can think of higher education.

The full set.

Psychology / Law / Medicine / Graduate Internship, programme type stuff / computing / finance / engineering. If you are older, you have more experiences to sell yourself.
Plus in comparison to the younger, you should know what it is you want to do which gives you a competitive advantage whilst choosing modules on your course.
(edited 10 years ago)
The full set.

Psychology / Law / Medicine / Graduate Internship, programme type stuff / computing / finance.
If you are older, you have more experiences to sell yourself.

sorry, i dont buy this one. law, grad programmes, finance - they want younger ones. the hr wants older ones just to show that they are including people from all backgrounds. companies in these industries except you to make upper management by 35, if you cant, you have to leave and do something else. if you become accountant at 40, the company isnt expecting you to reach the top. you are a diversity person. that doesnt stop you from making your name in the industry in a small company.

psychology, i dont know.

computing, isnt this a young people's game? you know guys who stay up all night doing stuff?

certain exceptions to ex-millitary people, career switchers (from one industry to another).
(edited 10 years ago)
sorry, i dont buy this one. law, grad programmes, finance - they want younger ones. the hr wants older ones just to show that they are including people from all backgrounds. companies in these industries except you to make upper management by 35, if you cant, you have to leave and do something else. if you become accountant at 40, the company isnt expecting you to reach the top. you are a diversity person. that doesnt stop you from making your name in the industry in a small company.

psychology, i dont know.

computing, isnt this a young people's game? you know guys who stay up all night doing stuff?

This chap's only 24 and will still be only 27 when graduated. That's no age at all.
I would also suggest that there are limited companies in this day and age that give you a job for life. To progress people have to bounce around lots of different places taking the opportunities when they come up. If you hit the person specification for a job and when invited in for interview can sell yourself in answer the questions they give you... age is irrelevant.
(edited 10 years ago)
This chap's only 24 and will still be only 27 when graduated. That's no age at all.
I would also suggest that there are limited companies in this day and age that give you a job for life. To progress people have to bounce around lots of different places taking the opportunities when they come up. If you hit the person specification for a job and when invited in for interview can sell yourself in answer the questions they give you... age is irrelevant.

in theory, i agree. but i am seeing upper management at 29 or 30 these days. they most likely leave big companies to do something else in their late 30s and 40s (and retire in their 50s). if you start late, you cant move around. employers know this. it just limits the options.

27 means there is 5 year gap. thats enough to reach middle management.

harsh but seems true.
Original post by Klaas

Hello Klaas. I am 25 now and returned to education at the age of 23 to study for my GCSEs. I too am interested in Social Sciences and learning foreign languages. As far as I am aware 23 is not a very fortuitous age to be when it comes to returning to education. If you elect to study A levels you are out of reach of the 24+ Advanced Learning Loans. I only hold GCSE qualifications yet I am holding an unconditional offer to study a >BA in Social Science< (with a foundation year) at the University of Leeds. One of the many courses you can progress to is International Relations and International Development.

Perhaps this is something you could look into? Also I wouldn't worry about how old you will be upon graduation; unless you have a time machine then there is nothing you can do about this. Depending on which route I take through university, I could be 31 upon graduation and it doesn't bother me.
(edited 10 years ago)
in theory, i agree. but i am seeing upper management at 29 or 30 these days. they most likely leave big companies to do something else in their late 30s and 40s (and retire in their 50s). if you start late, you cant move around. employers know this. it just limits the options.

27 means there is 5 year gap. thats enough to reach middle management.

harsh but seems true.

middle management of what? I'm not even sure what career path you are talking about.
Please expand and be more specific with relation to this company.
(edited 10 years ago)
middle management of what? I'm not even sure what career path you are talking about.
Please expand and be more specific with relation to this company.

you know the stats right? 10% of the grads get into some sort of programmes. those on the programmes are usually expected to progress at a rapid pace.

i wanted to be something else when i was teen, professional athlete to be exact. i did a bit of research before changing the trajectory (once it became apparent that i wouldnt make the cut).
you know the stats right? 10% of the grads get into some sort of programmes. those on the programmes are usually expected to progress at a rapid pace.

i wanted to be something else when i was teen, professional athlete to be exact. i did a bit of research before changing the trajectory (once it became apparent that i wouldnt make the cut).

As it happens I know a lot about statistics. They are an imperfect science and as such can be manipulated really easily due to a large percentage of error. The main problem with statistics is that they know nothing about people as an individual so if you base your life decisions on what stats tell you, then you might as well gamble your life away.

Graduate 'programmes' may occur in a variety of sectors, but not all graduates apply for programmes. If someone gets onto this 'programme' then I don't think 'age' has any correlation with the level of progression, even if you indicate that pace is rapid.
Reply 19
Your not old but uni is so expensive now, is it really worth it. If you know what job you want and can get work experience along the way, then great , but without that it is just pointless. You'll be in exactly the same position you are now, just having wasted three years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending