The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Entrance Exam(UGAA)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I was also rejected today for econ. Expected but still had some hope..
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
I'm very sorry. Do you know of anyone who sat the UGAA and got an offer?
Reply 62
I'm an Italian student (and this is my first post, though i've been following this thread). I can't believe that happened, but I've just received an offer for management. It seems they sent all decisions today!
Original post by Gral95
I'm an Italian student (and this is my first post, though i've been following this thread). I can't believe that happened, but I've just received an offer for management. It seems they sent all decisions today!

It seems so. I wonder what time their offices close. I haven't received my offer/rejection yet.
Original post by Gral95

Congratulations. It seems as though you're the only student that sat the UGAA who's been offered a place.
Reply 65
Well, I've been rejected. Was hopeful. But, I accept their decision. :smile:
Original post by Vort
Well, I've been rejected. Was hopeful. But, I accept their decision. :smile:

I'm sorry. What reason did they give for the rejection? Were you accepted in any other UK universities?
Reply 67
Original post by Syokau
I'm sorry. What reason did they give for the rejection? Were you accepted in any other UK universities?

It was a general e-mail of rejection. It was either because my marks in the exam weren't high enough or my marks were met the requirement but my whole application wasn't good enough.

I have not been accepted by any other colleges. I applied on Jan 15. :tongue:

What about you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Vort
It was a general e-mail of rejection. It was either because my marks in the exam weren't high enough or my marks were met the requirement but my whole application wasn't good enough.

I have not been accepted by any other colleges. I applied on Jan 15. :tongue:

What about you?

I"m really sorry. I got my rejection email yesterday, citing that my UGAA was not good enough. It's disappointing. I also haven't been accepted by any other universities.
My UGAA score was not high enough as well. I am so sad and angry about everything. I've spent so much time learning and preparing and more importantly, hoping!

Guys, did you cheat during the examination? Me and my friend spent exactly 3 hours and we were 100% fair And I am now thinking that we may have lost the places in the detriment of some cheaters. How were your exam conditions?
Original post by Gral95

Good job mate! Do you have any idea if there is anyone who has been accepted for Economics? Moreover, could you please tell me how your examination conditions were? Did you spend more than 3 hours on the test?
Original post by Syokau
I"m really sorry. I got my rejection email yesterday, citing that my UGAA was not good enough. It's disappointing. I also haven't been accepted by any other universities.

What other universities have you applied to and which course did you choose?
Reply 72
Original post by ^ForTheDream^
Good job mate! Do you have any idea if there is anyone who has been accepted for Economics? Moreover, could you please tell me how your examination conditions were? Did you spend more than 3 hours on the test?

Thanks! There was a guy, where i wrote the exam, who had applied for economics and philosophy (or something similar), but i don't really know if his application has been successful. We had no more than 3 hours for the exam, actually i finished 5 minutes before.
Reply 73
My UGAA score was not high enough as well. I am so sad and angry about everything. I've spent so much time learning and preparing and more importantly, hoping!

Guys, did you cheat during the examination? Me and my friend spent exactly 3 hours and we were 100% fair And I am now thinking that we may have lost the places in the detriment of some cheaters. How were your exam conditions?

I had exactly 3 hours, or maybe a little less since the examiner just came up and took the sheet very close to the 3 hour mark. I was the only person in my city, and I was in a very small room with my examiner. I am disappointed; I was really looking forward to LSE.

I think you are thinking the wrong way about it. They might not have been any cheaters but people who simply performed better at the exam then you and I did.
(edited 10 years ago)

What evidence and reason(s) do you have, to throw around a suspicion like that? Your question and remark sounds rather baseless to me, and it verges on the point of a bitter and desperate accusation. It's insulting to entrance exam sitters who earned their offers through their own merit. I doubt any examination invigilators would tolerate cheating and allow anyone more than the allocated time for each section. If you do know of anyone or suspect anyone of cheating, surely you would have reported it rather than detract the achievements of those EE sitters who have offers?

You said yourself that your exam didn't go well:

I chose the one with the Internet: boring, short and ****ty intro, 2 decent paragraphs with good ideas that had to be developed much more but I ran out of time and a boring and ****ty conclusion.

Guys, the exam was horrible. The Maths section was much tougher than the ones from the previous years. The Precis was dam tough and I only got 20 minutes to write a ****ty essay... I am disappointed. How did you guys find it?

In contrast, other people found the précis easier than you did.

Original post by StretfordEnd
Did anyone sit the UGAA today? Thoughts?

I think I goofed up on a couple of questions in Section C (no section D for me, yay) but I'm applying for BSc Government so I don't think (hopefully) they're looking for incredible talent with maths,

Thought the précis and essay topics were very gentle. Much easier than I anticipated overall, which is famous last words I know!
(original post)

In the end, the harsh truth is that other people performed better than you did. That's why LSE rejected you and gave them offers.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by orangejuice.
What evidence and reason(s) do you have, to throw around a suspicion like that? Your question and remark sounds rather baseless to me, and it verges on the point of a bitter and desperate accusation. It's insulting to entrance exam sitters who earned their offers through their own merit. I doubt any examination invigilators would tolerate cheating and allow anyone more than the allocated time for each section. If you do know of anyone or suspect anyone of cheating, surely you would have reported it rather than detract the achievements of those EE sitters who have offers?

You said yourself that your exam didn't go well:

In contrast, other people found the précis easier than you did.

(original post)

In the end, the harsh truth is that other people performed better than you did. That's why LSE rejected you and gave them offers.
'

I totally understand your point. My point is this one: I really hope that EVERYBODY who got an offer, either for Economics or for the other courses, did not cheat during this examination. If this happened, them I am very disappointed, sad, depressed and angry that I was unable to perform better during the exam. I do not know whether that happened because I did not prepare in the right manner, I am not smart enough, I was very emotional or a combination between the three. I tend to blame emotions for my low performance, having made some silly mistakes at the Maths section, because of which I lost a lot of time and some points.

I was invigilated by my Maths teacher who would never allow cheating to occur, but looking back right now, I could have given to LSE as contact and as invigilator a teacher outside my high school who helped me correct my Personal Statement. If I wanted to cheat I am sure that she would have helped me with the precis and essay part and I could have done the Maths with a Maths teacher.

And by the way, StreetfordEnd did not have to do the Section D Maths section, which was very tough.
(edited 10 years ago)
I totally understand your point. My point is this one: I really hope that EVERYBODY who got an offer, either for Economics or for the other courses, did not cheat during this examination. If this happened, them I am very disappointed, sad, depressed and angry that I was unable to perform better during the exam. I do not know whether that happened because I did not prepare in the right manner, I am not smart enough, I was very emotional or a combination between the three. I tend to blame emotions for my low performance, having made some silly mistakes at the Maths section, because of which I lost a lot of time and some points.

I think most people who have been rejected wouldn't jumped to the thought that "oh, it sucks I got rejected, I hope those offer-holders didn't cheat!" Rather, they'd be resigned to the simple but harsh reality that others performed better on the UGAA than they did.

That you 'hoped' UGAA offer-holders didn't cheat implies that you think those UGAA applicants who did receive offers from LSE might have cheated. That's still kind of insulting. It implies that on some level, their moral values might not be in place, that they didn't receive an offer on accord of their own merits and intelligence, and that ultimately, they didn't deserve their offer.

I was invigilated by my Maths teacher who would never allow cheating to occur, but looking back right now, I could have given to LSE as contact and as invigilator a teacher outside my high school who helped me correct my Personal Statement. If I wanted to cheat I am sure that she would have helped me with the precis and essay part and I could have done the Maths with a Maths teacher.

So, what you're saying is your teachers will knowingly help you cheat? Is there a prevalent cheating culture at your school? Where are you from, what school do you go to and who are your teachers? I know you're unlikely to answer such questions but I'm sure others, including LSE would be interested in their answers.

And by the way, StreetfordEnd did not have to do the Section D Maths section, which was very tough.

So what? As said below, that doesn't mean he is any less deserving of his offer. For whatever reason, the other UGAA economics applicants who did receive offers handled the tough maths section better than you did. And they probably didn't write a "boring, short and ****ty intro," a "a boring and ****ty conclusion" and ultimately, a "****ty essay."

In any case, StretfordEnd was a government applicant and not an economics applicant like you were. Mathematical fluency and ability is a fundamental aspect of economics. Surely, you can understand why LSE would expect you to cope with a tough maths section. That you weren't able to speaks to your performance and perhaps (though not necessarily so!) your ability. It also doesn't change the fact that other UGAA economics applicants outperformed you on the test.

I'm ending my part of the discussion here. I know you were (are?) really upset about your rejection and honestly, I'm sorry about that. Best of luck with the rest of your applications - I hope they went well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 77

Please Do not do this. Don't be so bitter.
Don't belittle the others who got in.
We are strangers on the internet for god's sake. You don't know him and nether do I. You cannot and should not blame others at all.

Understand,we got rejected.

We messed up the test, I agree the Maths was a tad hard. But, see we can't do anything now. We can only accept this as fact. We can make this an experience to learn from.

This isn't the end of your life. Get a hold of yourself.

“I am not what happened to me, I am what I choose to become.”

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 78
And, just for the record, we cannot and will not know what happened when every single candidate wrote the exam. To assume that people cheated is sad.

I had to sit in a really small room with a woman from the British council testing team, a stranger who I did not know. With only a clock and a fan for company.

The very thought in your head that you could have cheated is unbecoming. The very fact that you would like to cheat and change your fate is distasteful.
Reply 79
Original post by Vort
And, just for the record, we cannot and will not know what happened when every single candidate wrote the exam. To assume that people cheated is sad.

I had to sit in a really small room with a woman from the British council testing team, a stranger who I did not know. With only a clock and a fan for company.

The very thought in your head that you could have cheated is unbecoming. The very fact that you would like to cheat and change your fate is distasteful.

How was Maths?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending