The Student Room Group

Moving from back office to front office in a bank

Hi Guys,

I've recently accepted a Graduate offer for Finance at a major investment bank, which will involve studying for an ACA. Although I think the job will be a great learning curve, I also believe I'd like to try out working in a front office role (e.g.IBD or asset management) after 2-3 years... Does anyone know how easy it is to do that?
Reply 1
Back office to front office is quite a common transition, as the two departments are closely linked.

I work in the Middle Office for an international retail bank with a relatively small London-based head office, and the head of my department transferred from assistant manager of back office to a front-office role, before moving into Middle Office.

I'd say your chances really depend on the size of your institution, and your ability to excel. If you take your time to move through the various functions of back office, and learn the facts of forex, derivatives & bonds, you'd be in a good position to move.

I'd also recommend taking qualifications related to front office. Your best bet, if you're eligible, is the CFA qualification - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_Financial_Analyst

It's a gruelling set of exams, but with back office experience, and at least a level 2 CFA, you should have a good chance of moving into the trading room.
Wow that will be a quick move....from back office to front Desk and now into the trading Room
Reply 3
Original post by TDWM
Back office to front office is quite a common transition, as the two departments are closely linked.

I work in the Middle Office for an international retail bank with a relatively small London-based head office, and the head of my department transferred from assistant manager of back office to a front-office role, before moving into Middle Office.

I'd say your chances really depend on the size of your institution, and your ability to excel. If you take your time to move through the various functions of back office, and learn the facts of forex, derivatives & bonds, you'd be in a good position to move.

I'd also recommend taking qualifications related to front office. Your best bet, if you're eligible, is the CFA qualification - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chartered_Financial_Analyst

It's a gruelling set of exams, but with back office experience, and at least a level 2 CFA, you should have a good chance of moving into the trading room.

not the same as IB bro.

OP, moving around in IB is difficult. I doubt you'd be able to move from back to mid even.

Better off accepting the back office offer and applying elsewhere in the mean time.
Reply 4
Original post by miml
not the same as IB bro.

OP, moving around in IB is difficult. I doubt you'd be able to move from back to mid even.

Better off accepting the back office offer and applying elsewhere in the mean time.

This. Pre-crisis it was difficult, post-crisis it is close to impossible but it still happens from time to time.
Original post by DerPumuckl
This. Pre-crisis it was difficult, post-crisis it is close to impossible but it still happens from time to time.

Sadly. Very sadly. As if Nick, Jerome and Kweuku weren't reasons enough to kill this kind of thing forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending