The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The Boosh
have u looked at how the marks are given out? or is this just heresay...

I don't think the actual weighting given to different aspects of applications is publicly available, but the website does say that 'Our postgraduate schemes are extremely competitive and a high proportion of awards are granted to students holding a first class honours degree. However, your degree results form only one of a number of factors which will be taken into consideration during the assessment process. When making decisions, assessors will consider all of the information outlined in your application form by you and your institution, and not your academic achievements alone.'

Which, admittedly, is pretty vague.
that is pretty vague. it seems to imply that a first class is better but it doesnt say whether extra marks are given to first class candidates, or whether its a typical trend (and thus emphasises the calibre of applicants) but no additional marks are given. I get the impression its the former. the esrc have a guidance booklet which breaks down the marking scheme since the form is divded into sections (applicants details, supervisors details, references, proposal). The weight for each section changes depending on whether you want a research masters + phd or a phd only funding. the competition is equally fierce for the esrc (i dont remember the exact stats, but i think the success rate is actually lower than the ahrb). its incredibly important to have a good proposal - they are going to fund your phd after all and the only way they have a clue how good it is/ready you are is to read the proposal. i thought the ahrb would be similar to the esrc since they offer joint ahrb-esrc funding opportunities.

thanks for the quote btw :smile:
If you look on the AHRC website you can find graphs and statistics of the applications/offer broken down by subject and class of degree. You have to do some hunting for them, but they are there. IIRC the 25% number is correct but is weighed down by a glut of 2:1 and 2:2 applicants. I think it was approximately 50% of 1st Class degrees get funding compared to only 20% of 2:1 candidates and <5% of 2:2s, giving the overall 25% acceptance figure. Also, sinc ethe AHRC take into account supervision ability that generally means the better you university you attend the better the chance of receiving funding. You will see that Oxbridges general acceptance rate is ~35% with Warwick, Bristol, LSE et al around 30%. The other universities tend to be lower, except the ones who have statistical samples that are two small (ie. 1 person got funding from 2 = 50%) Believe it or not, there is usally a handful of people that do get given funding with a 2:2.

In relation to the question at hand. I dont think you can say for sure whether the funding is given to people with firsts merely because of their mark, or because they are likely to have produced the better proposals and references. Its probably a mixture of both, though in what proportion and emphasis I wouldnt like to venture a guess.
Reply 23
Those graphs show that even for the doctoral scheme the majority still go to people with 1sts, though the percentage of awards to people with 2.1s is slightly higher than in the masters scheme.

http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/about/ke/evaluation/vitalstats/postgraduate/application_award_statistics.asp
Reply 24
A first will help you obviously. However the quality and originality of your research proposal is key too.

Anyone know where more information about doing funded P.h.Ds in the States can be found?
shady lane

So it doesn't seem like you're all funded!!! Unless I'm confused by this post. If this is not the case then I guess he should stay in the UK. However he clearly said he's not likely to get any funding for his first year.

The same occurs in the US, in fact, funding is less stable, I know of people who had had to change project or drop out altogether from their studies in the states due to lack of funding - that does not occur with funding in the UK.

It is up to the individual if they wish to pursue a PhD course without funding (and the person you have quoted is the exception, not the norm), however, that vast majority of people doing PhDs full-time are funded by someone other than themselves or their family or a bank loan. All the PhD students in my department are funded either through the research councils, the university or private companies - you cannot do a PhD in the department unless you have a source of funding (i.e. you can't pay your own way).

Of course I can't say that everyone in the UK gets funding for a PhD just as you can't say that is true in the US. However I was merely rebutting the suggest that a PhD in the UK meant racking up a large amount of debt when for most people it does not.

I actually seriously looked into doing a PhD in the states and found that it would be wasting my time as the first few years would have been spent in gradschool doing stuff I had already done.
fredsmith365
"In 2003, the median number of years between enrollment in graduate school and completion of the doctoral degree (elapsed time to degree, or ETD) in all fields in the US was 7.5 years."

source: http://sciencereview.berkeley.edu/articles.php?issue=8&article=phds

Can't find a UK median easily to hand, but http://www.hefce.ac.uk/pubs/HEFCE/2005/05_02/ suggests that 57% complete within 5 years, but defines complete in an odd way (around a year after submission, which makes little sense*), so it's probably somewhere around the 4 years mark. 3 years is very much a target rather than an actual time :wink:

* possibly because the universities are in no great hurry to report back to HESA as they don't usually have much to do with PhDs, so 'closing their HESA file' takes place long afterwards.

4 : 7.5 is close enough to 1 : 2 for me to say that a UK PhD takes half the time. the 4 -5 years for a US PhD is also a target not an actuality.
ChemistBoy
The same occurs in the US, in fact, funding is less stable, I know of people who had had to change project or drop out altogether from their studies in the states due to lack of funding - that does not occur with funding in the UK.

It is up to the individual if they wish to pursue a PhD course without funding (and the person you have quoted is the exception, not the norm), however, that vast majority of people doing PhDs full-time are funded by someone other than themselves or their family or a bank loan. All the PhD students in my department are funded either through the research councils, the university or private companies - you cannot do a PhD in the department unless you have a source of funding (i.e. you can't pay your own way).

Of course I can't say that everyone in the UK gets funding for a PhD just as you can't say that is true in the US. However I was merely rebutting the suggest that a PhD in the UK meant racking up a large amount of debt when for most people it does not.

I actually seriously looked into doing a PhD in the states and found that it would be wasting my time as the first few years would have been spent in gradschool doing stuff I had already done.

Thanks for the clarification.

Actually all of the PhD programs I've looked at in the US will skip you ahead at least 1 year if you have an MSc already.

I also have strong feelings about excellent teaching. I learned a lot when I was at Oxford but honestly the teaching was much below what I was used to at Stanford. Their skill lay in setting out great reading lists. The lecturers were extremely boring, made the subjects seem boring as well. Perhaps if the Phd program in the UK were longer and focused more on teaching, there were would be better quality.
shady lane
Thanks for the clarification.

Actually all of the PhD programs I've looked at in the US will skip you ahead at least 1 year if you have an MSc already.

I also have strong feelings about excellent teaching. I learned a lot when I was at Oxford but honestly the teaching was much below what I was used to at Stanford. Their skill lay in setting out great reading lists. The lecturers were extremely boring, made the subjects seem boring as well. Perhaps if the Phd program in the UK were longer and focused more on teaching, there were would be better quality.

lol @ oxford comments.

Do you think that american phds are better than uk phds?
ChemistBoy

This isn't necessarily the case, or at least it must depend upon the discipline and institution in question. I'm in a social sciences PhD in the US. My offer of funding from the university came with my offer of admission. It's a multi-year funding package, guaranteed for at least 5 years provided I remain in "good academic standing", a rather vague phrase which essentially means that I have to behave myself and maintain a B+ average in any classes I take during the initial two years. After five years, I believe I will receive funding, though on a year-to-year basis subject to periodical review (I take it that's an incentive to finish). Some people I know in my program are on year-to-year funding from the start with no guarantees that it'll be renewed. They'll get loans and so on. But, as far as I'm aware, that isn't really the norm in the States, and I think it relates to the relatively poor financial endowment of the particular institution I attend (as compared with, Harvard say, which has tons more money than we do).

Again, time to completion varies depending on field, department and your incoming credentials (as well as how good your supervisor is at kicking your arse). For my doctorate, the optimum timescale according to the handbook is 2 years taking courses + 3 years research. If you come in with a master's degree in hand, you can deduct up to one year from the initial coursework phase, subject to approval. I remember reading somewhere that my department's average is 7.4 years. But that's across the whole of political science, and includes people who do a lot of number crunching, data collection and fieldwork, whereas as a political theorist (and thus much closer to the humanities than social sciences in my research methods) I won't need quite as much time and expect (doesn't everybody!) to be done somewhere in the 4-5 year range (since have a master's in hand).

It would appear, at first glance at least, that US doctorates take considerably longer than UK ones. But it isn't clear cut, since it does depend on what work you are doing and which route you take. Besides, that extra time can be spent gaining more teaching experience and acquiring, in theory at least, a fuller complement of methodological skills (I've often heard US academics criticize their UK counterparts as lacking essential methodological skills). And if you are on funding, as I am, then what difference does 1-2 extra years really make, especially since it is common for lots of UK PhDs to take longer than the initial 3 years in any event?
shady lane

But not a UK undergrad masters (at least not to the schools I considered applying to.

Perhaps if the Phd program in the UK were longer and focused more on teaching, there were would be better quality.

I, personally, don't see this as the point of a PhD, more support and training (in a more ordered way) should be given to members of academic staff not burdening PhD students with something that many will not find useful and will get in the way of completing their research (which is the point and sole area of assessment for a PhD). Doing a PhD is not solely about preparing for a career in academia and teaching so it should not be biased in such a fashion (in fact many of my colleagues in chemistry will enter either industry or other fields away from academia where a PhD is a required qualification and teaching is not part of the job description) - experience should be there for those that want it, not rammed down everyone's throat.
Craigy_Boy
This isn't necessarily the case, or at least it must depend upon the discipline and institution in question. I'm in a social sciences PhD in the US. My offer of funding from the university came with my offer of admission. It's a multi-year funding package, guaranteed for at least 5 years provided I remain in "good academic standing", a rather vague phrase which essentially means that I have to behave myself and maintain a B+ average in any classes I take during the initial two years. After five years, I believe I will receive funding, though on a year-to-year basis subject to periodical review (I take it that's an incentive to finish). Some people I know in my program are on year-to-year funding from the start with no guarantees that it'll be renewed. They'll get loans and so on. But, as far as I'm aware, that isn't really the norm in the States, and I think it relates to the relatively poor financial endowment of the particular institution I attend (as compared with, Harvard say, which has tons more money than we do).

But year-on-year funding does not occur in the UK at all for PhD. Of course you have to jump through hoops along the way to ensure you are on track (to do otherwise would be irresponsible of the funding bodies) and you are often limited to 3-4 years of funding (but why should it take you much longer?).I can only speak about those I know in the states and many are, or have been, on such programmes. Whilst it may not be the norm in the states there are obviously a proportion of colleges that are in the same financial situation as yours and will offer similar programmes. In the UK most funding is through the research councils so the relative financial health of your institution has no bearing on your funding.

It would appear, at first glance at least, that US doctorates take considerably longer than UK ones. But it isn't clear cut, since it does depend on what work you are doing and which route you take. Besides, that extra time can be spent gaining more teaching experience and acquiring, in theory at least, a fuller complement of methodological skills (I've often heard US academics criticize their UK counterparts as lacking essential methodological skills). And if you are on funding, as I am, then what difference does 1-2 extra years really make, especially since it is common for lots of UK PhDs to take longer than the initial 3 years in any event?

Of course, such things are subject specific so I couldn't comment about social sciences. To me it is simple, by the time I had finished a PhD in the states I will have gained at least 2 years of postdoctoral experience here in the UK and would be in a much better position to seek academic appointments both here and abroad. I would have also been earning more for the last 2 years and be able to support my family better. In terms of lacking skills - this doesn't really apply in the sciences as such.
Reply 32
avast!
The only problem I have now is in paying for it all. I'm unlikely to get AHRC funding for my first year with a 2:1, but apparently I have a decent chance of getting it after my first year. I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows how true this is, what it would be likely to depend on, and how generous the AHRC are likely to be -- how often do they tend to award maintenance grants in addition to fees etc.

I think my friend has the best advice for anyone wanting AHRC funding ... "apply and hope" :smile:
ChemistBoy
In the UK most funding is through the research councils so the relative financial health of your institution has no bearing on your funding.

Mmmm, but the richer and older universities usually* have more studentships allocated to them, so while it doesn't affect the continuation of funding it is a factor in getting it in the first place. There were vastly more studentships in my area available at Oxford and Imperial than a lot of other universities, for a start.

[* ie a correlation rather than a hard and fast rules]
ChemistBoy
To me it is simple, by the time I had finished a PhD in the states I will have gained at least 2 years of postdoctoral experience here in the UK and would be in a much better position to seek academic appointments both here and abroad.

Well that's sort of the point isn't it. A US PhD can go straight into a position as a tenure-track assistant professor upon graduation. Whereas I've heard US academics say that they would not consider hiring a freshly minted UK PhD who doesn't have post-doc experience,* and I have a feeling, from speaking with friends back in the UK, that getting a job as a junior lecturer in Britain is much the same these days- i.e. post-docs are required. So ultimately we all end up in roughly the same position as regards time.

* Usual caveats apply about this being the case in my field etc.
Craigy_Boy
Well that's sort of the point isn't it. A US PhD can go straight into a position as a tenure-track assistant professor upon graduation. Whereas I've heard US academics say that they would not consider hiring a freshly minted UK PhD who doesn't have post-doc experience,* and I have a feeling, from speaking with friends back in the UK, that getting a job as a junior lecturer in Britain is much the same these days- i.e. post-docs are required. So ultimately we all end up in roughly the same position as regards time.

* Usual caveats apply about this being the case in my field etc.

interesting point. ive done a lot of research and some lecturing during my msc/first year phd, and this is set to continue until graduation. i guess it depends on the experience. i dont know if we can compare a research fellow in the uk to an assistant prof. in the usa - i was under the impression that an assistant prof. is like an assistant lecturer, which is akin to what i do anyway, and a usa prof is akin to our uk lecturer. i dont know what the comparison is for a uk prof though - that's top of our tree (or it used to be...) and i dont see a similar title in the usa.
The Boosh
i dont know what the comparison is for a uk prof though - that's top of our tree (or it used to be...) and i dont see a similar title in the usa.

UK "Professor" = US "Full Professor" is the comparison you see usually.
Reply 37
Someone told me that 'Professor' is used in Yankland as a title for most academics, compared to UK where it's tied to a Chair. This true?
symun
Someone told me that 'Professor' is used in Yankland as a title for most academics, compared to UK where it's tied to a Chair. This true?

Yes, this is largely true. In the US, the hierarchy of positions goes something like this: adjunct assistant professor (works on short contracts) ---> assistant professor ---> associate professor ---> full professor. Undergraduates tend to refer to their teachers here as "Professor X", whatever position they occupy in that schema.

In the UK, it's usually something like: junior lecturer ---> senior lecturer ---> reader ----> professor.

It seems I owe something of an apology to ChemistBoy. I've been chatting with someone today at university and he assures me that in the US, it is indeed quite common for natural scientists to have to complete a post-doc before even getting on the lowest rung of the job market, and this despite the lengthy time to completion for a PhD here. Having said that, post-docs are not normally required for the social sciences and humanities, where it is common for those who get jobs to take them up directly following the doctorate.
Craigy_Boy
Yes, this is largely true. In the US, the hierarchy of positions goes something like this: adjunct assistant professor (works on short contracts) ---> assistant professor ---> associate professor ---> full professor. Undergraduates tend to refer to their teachers here as "Professor X", whatever position they occupy in that schema.

In the UK, it's usually something like: junior lecturer ---> senior lecturer ---> reader ----> professor.

It seems I owe something of an apology to ChemistBoy. I've been chatting with someone today at university and he assures me that in the US, it is indeed quite common for natural scientists to have to complete a post-doc before even getting on the lowest rung of the job market, and this despite the lengthy time to completion for a PhD here. Having said that, post-docs are not normally required for the social sciences and humanities, where it is common for those who get jobs to take them up directly following the doctorate.

I am pretty aware of my teachers' titles, and if they're not a professor I say "Dr." However, when I was in the UK, two of my teachers were not professors or doctors, making it even more difficult to know what to call them! I never had a full-time faculty member at Stanford who didn't have a Phd.

Latest

Trending

Trending