The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
That's a pity, I think it's good to encourage teaching without the neccesity of a PhD. Having said that, there's only a single member in my own Dept (English at Bristol) who is a 'Mr'. It is, I admit, difficult to know what to call him. I think I settled on George in the end!

(Note To Self: Go to America, it's easier to get a cool title! :wink:)
Craigy_Boy

It seems I owe something of an apology to ChemistBoy. I've been chatting with someone today at university and he assures me that in the US, it is indeed quite common for natural scientists to have to complete a post-doc before even getting on the lowest rung of the job market, and this despite the lengthy time to completion for a PhD here. Having said that, post-docs are not normally required for the social sciences and humanities, where it is common for those who get jobs to take them up directly following the doctorate.

It's just difficult because each discipline has its own career progression path. Certainly I know of several people in the UK that have move straight into academia from PhD in social sciences - pretty much an impossibility in my area.
ChemistBoy
Certainly I know of several people in the UK that have move straight into academia from PhD in social sciences - pretty much an impossibility in my area.

Indeed, I know a couple who have moved straight to academia from social science first degrees without a PhD or MA in the last few years, it's just completely different really.
there can be a noticeable difference between those with phds and those without.

Latest

Trending

Trending