The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by hayles101
Arsenal v Man City Sat 29 Mar - Loss
Everton v Arsenal Sun 6 Apr - Loss

If they lose those two and Everton win their catch up game, then Arsenal could lose forth place, but to Everton :tongue: Wouldn't be surprised if they lost both of them tbh.

Ahhh, as was said above.
(edited 10 years ago)
It shockingly played out well. West Ham were disappointing and Carrick wasn't overly troubled by Carroll.

Rooney's first goal was brilliant although the goalkeeping was horrendous, runs back away from the ball and has no clue where it was. Part of me still prefers Beckham's effort just I find it more visually appealing because it flew straight into the net. Front four played well and it's a chance to see more pace in that final third where as before we've always been ponderous. Kagawa, Mata, Rooney all showed decent inter-play. I wish Kagawa showed more authority when he's on the ball. I know he's an intricate player but sometimes it seems he doesn't totally believe in himself which might be able to understand as he hasn't played much.

Slightly more optimistic about Tuesday match with City after today's performance. Hopefully we'll have a defender back, maybe Vidic to counter Negredo's threat although latter might give Vida a run around atm tbh.

Another reason to love Ole Gunnar Solskjaer even more x
But think Cardiff may end up going down sadly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
If they lose those two and Everton win their catch up game, then Arsenal could lose forth place, but to Everton :tongue: Wouldn't be surprised if they lost both of them tbh.

Ahhh, as was said above.

Everton still have to play us, Arsenal, City, Newcastle, Southampton. It will be difficult for them. Anything can happen.

But yes if they beat Arsenal and us, then they realistically have a chance and will be chasing Arsenal hard in the last 5 games.
Reply 5983
How many appearances for GB has Rooney got?
Original post by Blobba
How many appearances for GB has Rooney got?

Zero
Original post by hayles101
Everton still have to play us, Arsenal, City, Newcastle, Southampton. It will be difficult for them. Anything can happen.

But yes if they beat Arsenal and us, then they realistically have a chance and will be chasing Arsenal hard in the last 5 games.

Newcastle have been largely deflated since Cabaye left, with a distinct sense that they have nothing left to play for and their season is effectively over (Hull result aside). They don't score enough, either, particularly without Remy.

Shame as, with just a few results going better, and better squad investment last summer, they could have been pushing for fifth.

But this, combined with their historically poor record in London, means a draw against Arsenal is perhaps moderately optimistic. A Newcastle win is very optimistic.
Reply 5986
Original post by manchesterunited15
Zero

Lol was gonna say this when I came onto the thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Everton have a chance of 4th if they beat Arsenal

You're not wrong mate, and I dont see us winning at Goodison either on our current form. But after the EFC game, we're on an easy run of fixtures to close the season out and, pathetically, AFC know how to close that crucial 4th place trophy like no other :K:
Original post by Silver Arrows
Oh, I'm so ready to watch this slaughtering. Bayern are going to absolutely tear you a new one.

You don't see how desperate that is? Imagine a Rochdale fan telling you he's slobbering at the thought of Leicester or QPR beating you in the Championship. You'd pity him, wouldn't you? Or be smug in that Leeds are in such a position, let alone compared to the League Two mainstays. Exactly.

Besides, Manchester United fans should be delighted they got a team like Bayern, it's a no-lose situation.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ozzyoscy
You don't see how desperate that is? Imagine a Rochdale fan telling you he's slobbering at the thought of Leicester or QPR beating you in the Championship. You'd pity him, wouldn't you? Or be smug in that Leeds are in such a position, let alone compared to the League Two mainstays. Exactly.

Besides, Manchester United fans should be delighted they got a team like Bayern, it's a no-lose situation.

That's an entirely different situation. Leeds are used to losing, Man Utd are not. We've been thumped 6-0 by Shef Wed, 5-1 by Bolton, 4-2 by Reading & 2-0 by Rochdale this season alone.

Furthermore, this is the first season in a very long time that you've actually struggled, and I for one am going to enjoy it whilst it last ;
Original post by Zürich
You're not wrong mate, and I dont see us winning at Goodison either on our current form. But after the EFC game, we're on an easy run of fixtures to close the season out and, pathetically, AFC know how to close that crucial 4th place trophy like no other :K:

Tbh you'll probably finish extremely strong, especially with big players returning. Everton need a near perfect run-in. Would be quite funny (and comforting) seeing Arsenal join United in Europa though. Knowing your luck, Bayern would probably finish 3rd in their Champions League group and draw you in the first KO stages.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Tbh you'll probably finish extremely strong, especially with big players returning. Everton need a near perfect run-in. Would be quite funny (and comforting) seeing Arsenal join United in Europa though. Knowing your luck, Bayern would probably finish 3rd in their Champions League group and draw you in the first KO stages.

Nah the rule is we get dicked two years running by the best team in the world before moving on to become prey for another giant. Next year Real Madrid are going to open us up probably. :colonhash:

Not even luck tbh, this year we had a nightmare group but generally we have a habit of messing up the group stage and when you do that you cant complain about crap draws. We managed to finish 2nd to Schalke last season FFS and in 2010/11 Shahktar before drawing Barca/Bayern. Unlucky with draws in 2009/10 and in 2010/11 tho in fairness. Our CL form is sketchy as **** as things go, last proper big team we managed to beat over 2 legs was AC Milan back in 2008 really which is very poor.
If Everton beat Arsenal to 4th then I will cry out in laughter tbh although our situation is even worse LOL.

Anyway, moving on the Man City match on Tuesday, although our display against West Ham was encouraging, it was still against West Ham (with all due respect). I think the best we can get is a draw against Man City, im just hoping it doesn't get embarrassing and it could be if Man City score within the first 10 minutes.
Original post by Zürich
Nah the rule is we get dicked two years running by the best team in the world before moving on to become prey for another giant. Next year Real Madrid are going to open us up probably. :colonhash:

Not even luck tbh, this year we had a nightmare group but generally we have a habit of messing up the group stage and when you do that you cant complain about crap draws. We managed to finish 2nd to Schalke last season FFS and in 2010/11 Shahktar before drawing Barca/Bayern. Unlucky with draws in 2009/10 and in 2010/11 tho in fairness. Our CL form is sketchy as **** as things go, last proper big team we managed to beat over 2 legs was AC Milan back in 2008 really which is very poor.

Yeah that sounds about right. Would have to play Flamini as a second right back to bully Ronaldo.

Hard to tell how good the Arsenal teams of the past five seasons have been in Europe. Group stages aren't always the best judge - big teams can get complacent, United have done twice in the last decade. Wonder how Arsenal would do over two legs against a team of similar level, like Juventus or Atletico Madrid. Did you not beat anyone decent in your run-in to the 2009 Semis? Dat Fabregas goal though, 35 yards out, 5mph and it found its way to the bottom corner :coma:
Everton won't get 4th. They drop too many silly points against teams they should be beating, wouldn't surprise me if they beat Arsenal and then went and lost to Crystal Palace.
Original post by River85
Newcastle have been largely deflated since Cabaye left, with a distinct sense that they have nothing left to play for and their season is effectively over (Hull result aside). They don't score enough, either, particularly without Remy.

Three wins in the last four though. Even if today's was a bit rubbish.

They'll fall apart next year, I've read Newcastle fans' saying that they'll probably get relegated.
Original post by Silver Arrows
That's an entirely different situation. Leeds are used to losing, Man Utd are not. We've been thumped 6-0 by Shef Wed, 5-1 by Bolton, 4-2 by Reading & 2-0 by Rochdale this season alone.

Furthermore, this is the first season in a very long time that you've actually struggled, and I for one am going to enjoy it whilst it last ;

That's just an insult to your own team that you concentrate that much on another. Man Utd fans will also be used to losing, they didn't win every season. Plus Man Utd will continue to be successful, whether Moyes comes good or whether they just hire a legendary manager or rising star until it works. The joke will always be on you by the end of it.
Original post by Straight up G
Three wins in the last four though. Even if today's was a bit rubbish.

Yeah but two of those three wins were 1-0s, courtesy of second half injury time goals.

They'll fall apart next year, I've read Newcastle fans' saying that they'll probably get relegated.

The fear is that they haven't invested as they should have done, and this will not only continue. Not only that but with the sale of Cabaye, and not adequately improving on the fifth place (and still being awful in the cup competitions) several players will leave. So, perhaps.

But then people expected them to be relegation battlers in 2011 - 2012 and they finished fifth. People also had them down just outside the relegation zone this season and they'll perhaps finish eighth (or even seventh). So who knows.
Original post by River85
Yeah but two of those three wins were 1-0s, courtesy of second half injury time goals.

The fear is that they haven't invested as they should have done, and this will not only continue. Not only that but with the sale of Cabaye, and not adequately improving on the fifth place (and still being awful in the cup competitions) several players will leave. So, perhaps.

But then people expected them to be relegation battlers in 2011 - 2012 and they finished fifth. People also had them down just outside the relegation zone this season and they'll perhaps finish eighth (or even seventh). So who knows.

A win is a win tbh.

Yeah. Remy will leave, as will HBA and a few others. But they always seem to unearth these gems out of nowhere, so nobody really knows.
Original post by Straight up G
A win is a win tbh.

Yeah. Remy will leave, as will HBA and a few others. But they always seem to unearth these gems out of nowhere, so nobody really knows.

I think that's a bit exaggerated. I'll perhaps give you a couple such as Tiote (though I've always thought he's overrated). Cisse was a half a season wonder, he's done nothing in the almost two seasons since. Cabaye and Ben Arfa were already fairly well known.

Remy will leave and without him this season they would be in trouble. So it does depend on how effectively they replace him. The concern is with Ashley's policy of getting players on the cheap, or even just on loans (with only the possibility of a permanent deal). Being happy with making a profit on transfers and ensuring mid table (at best top eight) football every season. In other words being safe and financially self-sufficient.

De Jong certainly doesn't look like he can fill in for Remy. Not yet anyway.

Latest