The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NathanW18
Maybe I'm stupid, but who is the 4th guy? Looks like AVB, but it can't be him.

It is AVB. That picture was made a while ago.
Original post by DaveSmith99
How many times have you seen Mourinho or Wenger set a team out to do absolutely nothing but incessantly cross the ball into the box over and over again?

Fair enough, but I didn't mean things like that. That is a tactical flaw - but I said it was a matter of degree, not a binary. I didn't suggest that it was completely Moyes's fault, or completely the fault of the players. I said that this result was more down to player incompetence, and I stand by that. It's not Moyes's fault that so many crosses were dreadful, even if his tactics did draw emphasis to quite how many were wasted. And I was also alluding to things like the way Smalling (?) completely lost Sidwell for the first goal, and the way - which I think was the main thing I was getting at - Vidic made an absolutely dreadful header to give away possession for the second goal, and again, Smalling was nowhere near close enough to shut down Sidwell for the shot, and that no-one had picked up Bent. Now, certainly Moyes's tactics leave a lot to be desired. But if one accepts that Smalling and Vidic should both have been on the pitch, and therefore Moyes has done the right thing in selecting them, and if one accepts that those individual errors have cost United the game just as much as a tepid, easily defended style of wing-play, then this result can be attributed more to player errors than poor tactics.

Also, whilst I freely and readily acknowledge how inefficient the crossing style of play is, two goals still came from balls delivered from wide areas into the box. Sure, it may be incredibly inefficient (one goal every forty balls into the box, sure) but it still yielded two goals, which should have been enough to win at home.

And I'd also add that whilst Mourinho is flavour of the month after a superb tactical set-up against Manchester City, he's also been found out at times this season (or, rather his players have) in games where he hasn't been able to break down stubborn opposition (West Brom at home, etc).

Original post by 419
I didn't watch the game. But going by a lot of people's posts including yours, united tactics were based around crossing, no?

If so, that's down to Moyes tactics- crossing is the second worst way of scoring to set pieces. That's why top strikers score few headed goals from open play- remember when Rooney went on a run a few years back and it was such a massive thing? There's a reason for that. If it was with his feet, it's just Wayne is in good nick, end of story.

I said it when mata joined- United need to focus with attacking through the middle.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine, but see above. I'm not trying to suggest that Moyes is some sort of tactical revolutionary or genius who has struck upon something nobody can see, but I still think that in a lot of games, individual players being crap have cost United just as much as a one-dimensional, anodyne style of play: examples for me include Amalfitano being allowed to beat three or four players in the home game against West Brom, Rafael not picking up Oviedo in the Everton home game (or whoever was at right-back), among others.
Original post by little_tom

If you were to update it, surely you would have Pardew, Martinez and Pochettino to reflect Moyes' new competitors?

:awesome:

By May it'll be Bruce, Lambert and Hughes!
Reply 1383
Also in today's match i was really missing Nani on the right wing, I don't know why it just seemed he could unlock them.
Original post by NathanW18
Maybe I'm stupid, but who is the 4th guy? Looks like AVB, but it can't be him.

Here you go, you picky bastards.

Original post by Kutta
Also in today's match i was really missing Nani on the right wing, I don't know why it just seemed he could unlock them.

+ Tom Cleverley, could have made the difference

Reply 1386
Original post by Zürich
+ Tom Cleverley, could have made the difference

Haha, that made me laugh :tongue:

But Nani is a much better player than you think :colondollar:
Original post by Kutta

Don't be silly, he prefers to fire the ball into row Z whilst attempting a wonder-goal.
Original post by Kutta
Haha, that made me laugh :tongue:

But Nani is a much better player than you think :colondollar:

Always rated Nani tbf, certainly tore AFC to shreds a few times. Just very frustrating sometimes I guess. Better than Young, Welbeck etc certainly
Reply 1389
Lads, i've got the solution to our problems this season.

The solution is:

Sign Messi and Ronaldo

:tongue:
Original post by Wilfred Little
:biggrin:

That thread and the posts that followed when I sussed him is probably the funniest moment on TSR. Mods deleted the best posts, there was a guy who went to the same uni as him, a Man. City fan, who called him out as a liar and he melted.

LOL i'd forgotten all about that. The game was bang in the middle of his exams :laugh:
Original post by Kutta
Lads, i've got the solution to our problems this season.

The solution is:

Sign Messi and Ronaldo

I like how Ronaldo was actually considering joining us (or so the tale goes), but then we appointed Moyes and he thought **** that!

Ah, that makes sense!

I have never seen it until now. I assumed it was a new one.
Original post by Manchester United
Don't be silly, he prefers to fire the ball into row Z whilst attempting a wonder-goal.

A player that attempts to shoot is preferable to 80 terrible crosses. Carrick actually trying to shoot is what got us our 2nd goal. I hate the fact that the majority of our players don't shoot. Last season, I thought we tried to overplay it around the area. This season, we cross far too much. Rooney and Van Persie should both shoot more.
Original post by Wilfred Little
****ing hell, that guy :biggrin:. Not even gonna attempt to spell his username, I just know it starts with an N and has a W, K and N in it.

looool guys name was like the start of the lion king music, he was a top lad though.
Original post by Zürich
If you were to update it, surely you would have Pardew, Martinez and Pochettino to reflect Moyes' new competitors?

:awesome:

By May it'll be Bruce, Lambert and Hughes!

Original post by TheGuy117
Here you go, you picky bastards.

I see ITV Sport have been taking lectures at the Rio Ferdinand school of English

https://twitter.com/itvfootball/status/432572658132471808

Deary me, at what stage does John Motson come out with ''unbelievable tekkers'' -_-
Reply 1397
Original post by Manchester United
I like how Ronaldo was actually considering joining us (or so the tale goes), but then we appointed Moyes and he thought **** that!

Thats probably what he thought as well.

Original post by Zürich
Always rated Nani tbf, certainly tore AFC to shreds a few times. Just very frustrating sometimes I guess. Better than Young, Welbeck etc certainly

I think Nani deserves a run in the team just as Valencia and Young have been given chances. He is more talented then them, more braver and actually does something with the ball rather than pass it backwards.

I think we all remember how well he played in 2010, since the injury he has never really got the RM position consistently cause of Valencia and fans have been using him as a scapegoat for some time now.

If Nani has no future at United then he should be given games to prove himself and pick of form then can be used as a deal sweetener for Juve players seeing as Juve have wanted Nani for some time now :smile: £20m-£25m + Nani (Good Form) is a good deal for someone like Vidal. Some goes for Hernandez who i reckon will leave and go to Spain, he could be used in a deal to get Koke.

After writing that this popped up on facebook:

Looks like he's on his way :frown:
Reply 1398
Kind of scared of going to the Emirates this week lol

Arsenal will be looking to bounce back against our fragile defense :redface:

Jones Vidic Evans Evra - would be my back four. Its not ideal but its the best we got.
I think we'll be better against Arsenal. We were the annoying game raising bastards against them last time. I await us doing it again. The incentive being on them to attack will suit us more. We're unable to take matches to other teams. They also have their own problems.

Latest