The Student Room Group

Does this sound ok?

Hi, well I do 4 subjects at school (3 A Levels and 1 BTEC), and I feel so overwhelmed by the workload I have now. Sociology is the biggest problem and I hate it so much. I have an offer for Law with Criminology at the University of Liverpool ( my firm) and I feel like I rather focus on English and RE as they are easy A Levels than Sociology. All I need is two B's to get in and I do revise them all but my plan is if worse comes to worse, I know I can just forget about sociology and focus on the other two subjects. I was thinking if this sounds ok to any of you and if anyone could give me advice on this, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I do AS and a2 physics, a2 maths and AS btec science
I feel over worked as well but once I caught up with revision everything seems easier. Once I revised a whole unit in physics and it becomes non existent to me and I can concentrate on the other subjects more easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by maryamzahid
Hi, well I do 4 subjects at school (3 A Levels and 1 BTEC), and I feel so overwhelmed by the workload I have now. Sociology is the biggest problem and I hate it so much. I have an offer for Law with Criminology at the University of Liverpool ( my firm) and I feel like I rather focus on English and RE as they are easy A Levels than Sociology. All I need is two B's to get in and I do revise them all but my plan is if worse comes to worse, I know I can just forget about sociology and focus on the other two subjects. I was thinking if this sounds ok to any of you and if anyone could give me advice on this, thanks :smile:

Aren't you able to drop the BTEC? Three A-levels would be more appealing than two A-levels and a BTEC. imo
Reply 3
4 subjects is fine.
If you want good advice.

I'd email The Russell Society
(therussellsociety.co.uk)

they give pretty good advice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
What BTEC btw, that's cool :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Typo
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Typos
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Typo
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Jamerson
Aren't you able to drop the BTEC? Three A-levels would be more appealing than two A-levels and a BTEC. imo

the btec im getting a distinction star in so nooo :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Acidy
What BTEC btw, that's cool :smile:

BTEC Law :smile:
Reply 10
BTEC Law :smile:

Awesome, what did the website say?
It might get you into university, but it's not going to look great on your CV if you have a really bad mark in one of them. Plus, don't assume that you will get the required grades in the subjects you plan to focus on (English and RE); I made that stupid mistake and it cost me a university place.

I think if you are struggling to cope with the workload, you need to address that rather than trying to get around it by forgetting about one of your subjects. Law at Liverpool will be a tough degree and the workload will be intense: you need to try getting used to it. Maybe discuss with a teacher about ways to work more efficiently without actually neglecting your work.
Reply 12
Original post by Rascacielos
It might get you into university, but it's not going to look great on your CV if you have a really bad mark in one of them. Plus, don't assume that you will get the required grades in the subjects you plan to focus on (English and RE); I made that stupid mistake and it cost me a university place.

I think if you are struggling to cope with the workload, you need to address that rather than trying to get around it by forgetting about one of your subjects. Law at Liverpool will be a tough degree and the workload will be intense: you need to try getting used to it. Maybe discuss with a teacher about ways to work more efficiently without actually neglecting your work.

You're right, but I feel that sociology isn't for me so I don't really want to do that anymore, managing with everything else just fine e.g. my English coursework and re essays and all. with sociology I can do this anymore. I never thought it would.
You're right, but I feel that sociology isn't for me so I don't really want to do that anymore, managing with everything else just fine e.g. my English coursework and re essays and all. with sociology I can do this anymore. I never thought it would.

That's not a reason to give up I'm afraid, particularly at the most important point in your life so far. I have discovered that my law degree is most definitely not for me - in reality, it was probably the worst degree I could have chosen out of the hundreds of options open to me - but I haven't given up. I'm not saying I'm putting 100% in but you must try and achieve the best grade you can in the subject, or very near to it. I promise you, you will regret it a year from now if you give up.
Also just to point out, you might meet your offer of two Bs for Liverpool but if you are planning to become a solicitor or would like to keep your chances with top firms open, most of them stipulate a certain amount of A levels/UCAS points. I don't know how many points a BTEC is but you should definitely check.

And I agree with the above, when you study boring horrible subjects like land law, contract law and EU law you can't just give up. You have to study them as part of the law degree, so I think it would be worthwhile for you to learn to make yourself work even when you don't enjoy the subject. It will be a useful skill for studying law.

Quick Reply

Latest