The Student Room Group

Question about Frenuloplasty

Hi all, im due to have a frenuloplasty on Tuesday. I was told last year through an appointment that i had frenulum breve and instead of removing my foreskin which wasnt particularly tight through circumcision i was recommended for a frenuloplasty to leave the foreskin intact and to just lengthen the frenulum. Im just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with this operation. The few questions im most interested about:

Did you have any problems post-op and how long did it take to recover?
How long before you were able to masturbate/have sex again?
How painful was it post-op?

If anyone would describe how theirs went that would be so appreciated just so i have an idea of what to expect. Thank you in advance
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all, im due to have a frenuloplasty on Tuesday. I was told last year through an appointment that i had frenulum breve and instead of removing my foreskin which wasnt particularly tight through circumcision i was recommended for a frenuloplasty to leave the foreskin intact and to just lengthen the frenulum. Im just wondering if anyone here has had any experiences with this operation. The few questions im most interested about:

If anyone would describe how theirs went that would be so appreciated just so i have an idea of what to expect. Thank you in advance

Hi this may help answers few questions you asked on this OK...
Usually its about 6 - 8 weeks before you able to have sex after this op. Depends on how it heals up to.

Never had this as female but as a registered adult nurse I can only tell you not to worry as its straightforward op procedure.
Your surgeon will advise you prior and after the op on things ok.
============================================
Frenuloplasty .......
A frenuloplasty is an operation to re-suture a short penile frenulum in a legnthwise fashion.

What are the benefits....
The main benefit is to prevent pain and discomfort during intercourse or whilst retracting your foreskin.

About the procedure
What to expect

We are able to perform this procedure under both general anaesthetic as a day case procedure or under local anaesthetic in an outpatient treatment room.

Bath / Shower......
You can bath/shower as often as you wish from the day after your procedure.

Treatment options.......
Are there any alternatives to a Circumcision?

Under some circumstances, other treatments may be considered, but circumcision remains the most common treatment options to relieve your symptoms. Alternatives to a circumcision include:

Frenuloplasty * this is an operation to cut and lengthen your frenulum, which is the small tag of skin on the underside of your penis, between your foreskin and the shaft of your penis. If the frenulum is short or torn, you may have problems pulling your foreskin back.
Dorsal slit * in this procedure the foreskin is cut to widen and loosen it, so it can be pulled back more easily.
Prepuceplasty * this is a more minor procedure than a circumcision. The foreskin is cut and stitched to widen it.
Your consultant can explain these treatments if they are suitable for you.

Recovery
How soon will I recover.....

You might feel dizzy and tired when you go home after the operation if you have had a general anaesthetic. Please rest for the remainder of the day and following day to help recovery. You may also have:

Swelling * you can expect a little swelling and bruising at the wound site. There may also be a bit of oozing yellow coloured fluid.
Stitches * these will dissolve or fall out on their own about 14 to 21 days after the operation. Some parts of the stiches may take up to 6 weeks to dissolve. They do not need to be removed.
A dressing over the wound * this will fall off on its own and does not normally need to be replaced. If the dressing does not fall off on its own you may remove it in the bath or shower the day after your operation.
It is possible you may have some bleeding from the foreskin, although this is unusual. If cleaning does occur, use a clean cloth and press firmly on the area for 15 minutes. If it doesn’t stop you will need to go to your nearest A&E department.

Sexual Intercourse.........
Please do not have sexual intercourse for six weeks after the operation. This will:

Help your wound to heal
Help to avoid infection
Help to lower the risk of bleeding
Reply 2
Original post by Allyson2020
Hi this may help answers few questions you asked on this OK...
Usually its about 6 - 8 weeks before you able to have sex after this op. Depends on how it heals up to.

Never had this as female but as a registered adult nurse I can only tell you not to worry as its straightforward op procedure.
Your surgeon will advise you prior and after the op on things ok.
============================================
Frenuloplasty .......
A frenuloplasty is an operation to re-suture a short penile frenulum in a legnthwise fashion.

What are the benefits....
The main benefit is to prevent pain and discomfort during intercourse or whilst retracting your foreskin.

About the procedure
What to expect

We are able to perform this procedure under both general anaesthetic as a day case procedure or under local anaesthetic in an outpatient treatment room.

Bath / Shower......
You can bath/shower as often as you wish from the day after your procedure.

Treatment options.......
Are there any alternatives to a Circumcision?

Under some circumstances, other treatments may be considered, but circumcision remains the most common treatment options to relieve your symptoms. Alternatives to a circumcision include:

Frenuloplasty * this is an operation to cut and lengthen your frenulum, which is the small tag of skin on the underside of your penis, between your foreskin and the shaft of your penis. If the frenulum is short or torn, you may have problems pulling your foreskin back.
Dorsal slit * in this procedure the foreskin is cut to widen and loosen it, so it can be pulled back more easily.
Prepuceplasty * this is a more minor procedure than a circumcision. The foreskin is cut and stitched to widen it.
Your consultant can explain these treatments if they are suitable for you.

Recovery
How soon will I recover.....

You might feel dizzy and tired when you go home after the operation if you have had a general anaesthetic. Please rest for the remainder of the day and following day to help recovery. You may also have:

Swelling * you can expect a little swelling and bruising at the wound site. There may also be a bit of oozing yellow coloured fluid.
Stitches * these will dissolve or fall out on their own about 14 to 21 days after the operation. Some parts of the stiches may take up to 6 weeks to dissolve. They do not need to be removed.
A dressing over the wound * this will fall off on its own and does not normally need to be replaced. If the dressing does not fall off on its own you may remove it in the bath or shower the day after your operation.
It is possible you may have some bleeding from the foreskin, although this is unusual. If cleaning does occur, use a clean cloth and press firmly on the area for 15 minutes. If it doesn’t stop you will need to go to your nearest A&E department.

Sexual Intercourse.........
Please do not have sexual intercourse for six weeks after the operation. This will:

Help your wound to heal
Help to avoid infection
Help to lower the risk of bleeding

Amazing thank you so much for taking your time to do that, i was a bit nervous prior to this but youve cleared up a lot of my worries! its been too long and with the pain it causes during intercourse its just something i need to have done! really good response thank you
Amazing thank you so much for taking your time to do that, i was a bit nervous prior to this but youve cleared up a lot of my worries! its been too long and with the pain it causes during intercourse its just something i need to have done! really good response thank you

Hi
Apologies for delay back.
No worries in trying to assist best I can ok.
There's nothing apparently to be nervous about as surgeon is experience on this and I'm sure that the surgeon will explain everything to you before and after op okay.
Hope that when you have the op it all goes well for you x
Reply 4
It all went well thank you and this is around 16 hours on, my consultant gave me some instillagel local anaesthetic to use and urged me to regularly stretch the foreskin especially for the first few days to avoid tightening. I was really hesitant last night doing this but i actually managed to stretch my foreskin over the head despite the stitches which is really promising and with minimal bleeding! With regards to retracting when fully erect will this come with time and when the stitches fall out? This is something i didnt really ask my consultant about
It all went well thank you and this is around 16 hours on, my consultant gave me some instillagel local anaesthetic to use and urged me to regularly stretch the foreskin especially for the first few days to avoid tightening. I was really hesitant last night doing this but i actually managed to stretch my foreskin over the head despite the stitches which is really promising and with minimal bleeding! With regards to retracting when fully erect will this come with time and when the stitches fall out? This is something i didnt really ask my consultant about

Hi

Glad you had op as it be a big relief for you now its done,

Just take time to do as instructed by your surgeon as not a race ok as I think more you stretch it as per surgeon instructions the better it should get.

Now about stitches coming out ok, if its dissolvable stitches they used ( sort of paper stripped ) then they will start to dissolve in week to ten days time.

If its actually thread style stitches you got in then I'm afraid it's a appointment with either GP or the practice nurse to remove these ones ok as surgeon should had said what to do regarding this.
Reply 6
Hi

Glad you had op as it be a big relief for you now its done,

Just take time to do as instructed by your surgeon as not a race ok as I think more you stretch it as per surgeon instructions the better it should get.

Now about stitches coming out ok, if its dissolvable stitches they used ( sort of paper stripped ) then they will start to dissolve in week to ten days time.

If its actually thread style stitches you got in then I'm afraid it's a appointment with either GP or the practice nurse to remove these ones ok as surgeon should had said what to do regarding this.

Thanks so much! Mine are dissolvable stitches which he expects to come out in 10 days to 2 weeks. Prior to the op my foreskin wasn’t able to go back when erect but I imagine this will be possible in a couple of weeks when the stitches come out? I’ve just been stretching it a little bit as he gave me some local anaesthetic to use to stop it being painful when I do it, doesn’t feel tight really
Thanks so much! Mine are dissolvable stitches which he expects to come out in 10 days to 2 weeks. Prior to the op my foreskin wasn’t able to go back when erect but I imagine this will be possible in a couple of weeks when the stitches come out? I’ve just been stretching it a little bit as he gave me some local anaesthetic to use to stop it being painful when I do it, doesn’t feel tight really

You welcome again ok.

Dissolvable stitches will fall out themselves in next few weeks.
You'll have to see how things goes with your foreskin as let it heal properly and if any issues speak to your doctor on it. Beware of any sort of infections

Long as you follow surgeon instructions you'll be ok.
Reply 8
You welcome again ok.

Dissolvable stitches will fall out themselves in next few weeks.
You'll have to see how things goes with your foreskin as let it heal properly and if any issues speak to your doctor on it. Beware of any sort of infections

Long as you follow surgeon instructions you'll be ok.

Okay thank you, it’s healing pretty well but there has been a little bit of blood I think it’s the stitches tightening a bit. God it’s going to be a long 4-6 weeks without any sexual acts 😂
Okay thank you, it’s healing pretty well but there has been a little bit of blood I think it’s the stitches tightening a bit. God it’s going to be a long 4-6 weeks without any sexual acts 😂

No probs.
The healing process with take few good weeks so don't worry but keep a eye on the wound for signs of any infections and get it seen to if you see this.

The tightness is due to the skin nitting together as it heals ok.

This is minimum of upto 6 weeks as could be longer depending on how it's healing up. Be patience lad as once you able to do things again you will be ready .😃 😂
It’s the first time I’ve woke up after the op with some bleeding my shorts were quite wet and I looked and it looks like one of my stitches has kind of scabbed over whatever happened with dried blood, probably looks worse than it is. Is this normal? It does feel a bit painful this morning I’m unsure whether I got an erection and that’s caused this?
It’s the first time I’ve woke up after the op with some bleeding my shorts were quite wet and I looked and it looks like one of my stitches has kind of scabbed over whatever happened with dried blood, probably looks worse than it is. Is this normal? It does feel a bit painful this morning I’m unsure whether I got an erection and that’s caused this?

Your stitches will probably be about to start fall out so it will leave scabs till they properly heal up now which should be in another week or so I think.
It sounds normal without actually seeing it but as said watch out for signs of infection or swelling as if so seek advise from your GP.

Could be what you said that caused it as only you will know this one.
Your stitches will probably be about to start fall out so it will leave scabs till they properly heal up now which should be in another week or so I think.
It sounds normal without actually seeing it but as said watch out for signs of infection or swelling as if so seek advise from your GP.

Could be what you said that caused it as only you will know this one.

Thats brill thank you it has definitely improved in the last week and not had any bleeding since. So just one more question I was unable to pull my foreskin back fully when erect prior to the op. Given that it is 2 weeks ago since the op should i be able to do this now? It still feels a little restricted and im not sure whether that is due to a bit of scar tissue and the dissolvable stitches still being in place from the surgery. Should it get easier in a few weeks from the healing?
hey buddy are you able to retract when erect now, had my surgery 3 weeks back and am in same doubt as you
Much easier yes! sorry for the late reply but id certainly recommend it. No pain at all now
Much easier yes! sorry for the late reply but id certainly recommend it. No pain at all now

Hey
That's sounds good that you are feeling much better now and no pain which is good sign it went well x
OP will benefit of your assurances of how yours went as remember that all of us heals differently and at different times
Hey
That's sounds good that you are feeling much better now and no pain which is good sign it went well x
OP will benefit of your assurances of how yours went as remember that all of us heals differently and at different times

the person you quoted IS the OP lol
Original post by black tea
the person you quoted IS the OP lol

You know what it easier happen quoting wrong person. Ta for pointing it out

Get a total Frenulectomy.. Better than Frenuloplasty.. Leaving nice clean V shape on underside.. Much better cosmetic outcome..

Quick Reply

Latest