The Student Room Group

Applying for second course at same uni after deadline

I've applied for a course at a uni, and have recently found another course at that same uni which is pretty similar and I want to add it as my 5th choice (only put 4 choices originally). However this slightly different course requires geography at A2 which I don't have so I was going to email them and ask if they'd consider me. However I don't want them to think I've gone off the first course I applied for there by asking about this second course, especially since I'm applying after the deadline and without a geography A2.

Any advice please?
If they require geography and you don't have it, then you are at a severe disadvantage anyway - they ask for geography because they reckon that you need the background knowledge in that subject.

I would suggest that your best course of action is to wait until you have received an offer from that uni (assuming you do) and then ask if it might be possible to swap courses. At that point, they won't withdraw your offer for your original course, and they may or may not agree to the swap. You could then use the fifth choice for something else.

What course did you originally apply for, and what's the new course you want to do?
Universities do not ask for essential subjects for fun. If thats what they want, then your application would probably get an instant rejection.

Don't think 'Oh I can go there anyway and ask to transfer once I'm there.' They will still want Geography. You will be stuck on the other course that apparently you didn't want to do.

If you really DO want to do this other course, then stop your UCAS application now. Take next year to do the extra A level and reapply for 2015 entry. You only get one go at University - isn't it worth an extra year to study the course that you really want rather than compromising and 'hoping it will be alright' on a course you've clearly had 2nd thoughts about already?
Reply 3
Ffhr
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
If they require geography and you don't have it, then you are at a severe disadvantage anyway - they ask for geography because they reckon that you need the background knowledge in that subject.

I would suggest that your best course of action is to wait until you have received an offer from that uni (assuming you do) and then ask if it might be possible to swap courses. At that point, they won't withdraw your offer for your original course, and they may or may not agree to the swap. You could then use the fifth choice for something else.

What course did you originally apply for, and what's the new course you want to do?

Thanks for your reply

I accept that I'm at a disadvantage, but would like to find out if they might still consider me. The course I've applied for is environment and sustainability and the one I would also like to apply for is environmental science and physical geography (joint honours). They share a lot of the same modules. Could I not just email them asking if they might also consider me for the second course. The thing is id like to get a 5th choice down soon as I guess the longer I wait, the less likely it is that I'll receive an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jonnny
Thanks for your reply

I accept that I'm at a disadvantage, but would like to find out if they might still consider me. The course I've applied for is environment and sustainability and the one I would also like to apply for is environmental science and physical geography (joint honours). They share a lot of the same modules. Could I not just email them asking if they might also consider me for the second course. The thing is id like to get a 5th choice down soon as I guess the longer I wait, the less likely it is that I'll receive an offer

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're going to have a pretty good idea of many applications they're going to get at this stage, and Extra doesn't open until the 25th, so there's no need to panic just yet.

If you know that you'd definitely want to do environmental science and physical geography instead of environment and sustainability, then you can email and say two things
1. you would like to swap courses
2. if that's not possible, you'd still like to retain your original offer

The worst they can say at that point is no, and that way you haven't used up your fifth choice, so you can use that for a separate uni instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending