The Student Room Group

Online AAT course with Reed?

So Im looking to get into the accountancy industry, can't particularly afford uni so my plan is to do a course, get an entry level job and work my way up as best I can. Ive seen AAT level 2 certificates advertised online, and just had a phone call with an advisor from reed.co.uk. Just wondered if any qualified persons can shed some light on this; i.e is this a genuine qualification, is it recognised etc. I felt like reed were trying very hard to sell it to me which put my guard up!
Reply 1
http://www.aat.org.uk/

AAT is a well respected qualification that can be used as a stand alone qualification or as a stepping stone. level 2 is roughtly GCSE standard while level 4 is 1st year degree standard.

Have you looked into an apprenticeship? Ideally you need to get work experience at the same time as study - typically studying at a local college for a day or so a week
Original post by marple
http://www.aat.org.uk/

AAT is a well respected qualification that can be used as a stand alone qualification or as a stepping stone. level 2 is roughtly GCSE standard while level 4 is 1st year degree standard.

Have you looked into an apprenticeship? Ideally you need to get work experience at the same time as study - typically studying at a local college for a day or so a week

thanks for the reply. thats interesting to know, i was thinking about doing the level 2 and 3 diploma combined. i do know the relevance of aat in the industry but was just a tad concerned about how they were pushing it onto me. would you know a rough price by any chance? ive been quoted around 3 grand for the combined course.

i did want to study an apprenticeship initially, but literally spent an entire year getting knocked back saying my experience wasn't suitable.
not sure what to do!
Reply 3
It would probably be cheaper at your local college - I've just googled the one local to me and they charge:

level 2
£750

level 3
19-23 year olds £800
24years and older £1000

I don't know how typical this is, but I suspect it is a cheaper route than Reed, Kaplan etc. They may be able to help with work experience through contact with local employers. Accountingweb.co.uk may be worth a look if you're looking for work experience . Volunteering in a finance based role (bookkeeping for a local charity, that sort of thing) would also help.

Good luck
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boogaloo_Shrimp
So Im looking to get into the accountancy industry, can't particularly afford uni so my plan is to do a course, get an entry level job and work my way up as best I can. Ive seen AAT level 2 certificates advertised online, and just had a phone call with an advisor from reed.co.uk. Just wondered if any qualified persons can shed some light on this; i.e is this a genuine qualification, is it recognised etc. I felt like reed were trying very hard to sell it to me which put my guard up!

AAT is a respected qualification and a good route into accountancy if you don't want to go through uni.

Level 2 will be quite easy but 3 and 4 should be somewhat challenging. If you can get a job with an employer that is willing to put you through these it would be a good way into the industry. Have a look around and see if any of your local firms have positions open before you stump up for a course - they may be willing to assist with course fees if you work for them.
Original post by Hedgeman49
AAT is a respected qualification and a good route into accountancy if you don't want to go through uni.

Level 2 will be quite easy but 3 and 4 should be somewhat challenging. If you can get a job with an employer that is willing to put you through these it would be a good way into the industry. Have a look around and see if any of your local firms have positions open before you stump up for a course - they may be willing to assist with course fees if you work for them.

I'll do that, thank you!
Reply 6
I did AAT through BPP. Very good foundation course in accountancy which takes you literally from step 1.

Can't comment on Reed though.

Having AAT will make it much easier to find an entry level job as it shows you're not a complete noob.

I then went onto ACCA after that & I'm currently awaiting my results from my last 2 exams, which are coming out tonight!
Original post by Steezy
I did AAT through BPP. Very good foundation course in accountancy which takes you literally from step 1.

Can't comment on Reed though.

Having AAT will make it much easier to find an entry level job as it shows you're not a complete noob.

I then went onto ACCA after that & I'm currently awaiting my results from my last 2 exams, which are coming out tonight!

Well Ive just found some courses at my local college as someone suggested which are much cheaper so I reckon Im gonna go ahead with that.
Ooh good luck!!
Reply 8
Can Anybody advice ,me about the AAT level 2 course through reed.co.uk

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending