The Student Room Group

Intro to Investment Banking

Scroll to see replies

but im in Manchester, killik and co are in london, so cant do it.

and i dont know how to find investment banks in Manchester, im doing searches but cant find anything concrete?!
redfanatic

and i dont know how to find investment banks in Manchester, im doing searches but cant find anything concrete?!

ah! sorry, though you were in London. Some banks might have ops in Manchester, alternatively, you could try local Big4 or high street banks. It might not be IB, but atleast it'll look good on your CV and you could then draw parallels and say just how much more awesome IB is in relation to accountancy (but never ever diss your former employers).
yehp thats what im going to do, just call up normal banks and see what i can do there. hopefully i can find something, im literally on the borderline of now takin Economics instead of Physics. This way ill have another year to be able to think of a future career and be able to get a feel for a financial career more.
Reply 183
redfanatic

Bank of America have big offices in Piccadilly Gardens. Although I don't think they're very popular. And I don't really know what sort of operation the PG offices is.
why?
yeah but it was clear from his/her first post that it was all about the £$ as most of the things he asked could be done by simple searching of the forum or the web - but at this stage he/she doesn't get paid and so its 'not worth the effort' :rolleyes:
i doubt any bank will want someone whos just in it for the moolah though
trance addict
i doubt any bank will want someone whos just in it for the moolah though

but why would you want to slog away for 20-odd hours if not for the moolah? chronic masochism? :p:
Reply 188
HI guys, i'm a current yr12 student looking to do Economics or development Economics at SOAS, this is partyl because i only acheived a B grade in Maths GCSE and i have not got an A level in maths. I was just wondering is it still possible for me to get into IB if i get i get a first or upper second class at uni?....and are there any firms who take students my age for work experience? Thanks alot.
Sorry for my ignorance.. but what kind of firms are PWC, Deloitte and Mckinsey?
I know Mckinsey are famous for consulting... but what about the rest?
Its just that I havent heard a lot about these firms mentioned on this forum.
Arent they all in IB&C too?:s-smilie:
Reply 190
PwC and Deloitte are primarily accountancy firms.

McKinsey is a management consultancy.

Base info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PwC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deloitte_Touche_Tohmatsu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mckinsey
Yep, PwC and Deloitte are big4 firms which also include E&Y, and the leader amongst the pack KPMG

McKinsey is a top consultancy firm, check out Booz and a couple others such as Accenture if that is a line or service which interest you
Thanks for the info :smile:
sorry, I really couldn't find this on the internet.. has anyone got any good link to pages describing what exactly FO sales entails?
thanks in advance
Reply 194
Just out of interest, is credit risk management a MO role?
dorian_gray
sorry, I really couldn't find this on the internet.. has anyone got any good link to pages describing what exactly FO sales entails?
thanks in advance

try reading what different IBs write on their websites - i.e. BNP Paribas:

http://www.graduates.bnpparibas.com/home/business-areas/equity-and-derivatives/sales

dhs3333
Just out of interest, is credit risk management a MO role?

yes.
Reply 196
Yea I thought the Risk was MO as well. But in the BarCap website they classified Global Financial Risk as FO. Is there any reason for that?
dhs3333
Yea I thought the Risk was MO as well. But in the BarCap website they classified Global Financial Risk as FO. Is there any reason for that?

Differs bank to bank, barcap keep some IT classed as front office (algorithmic trading etc) where as merrill lynch class it as being part of the back office tech division
dhs3333

were you looking at the 'Front Office Insight Day' part by any chance?:wink:

also, GFR and CRM are two different divisions.
Hi, can anyone explain what a 'winter analyst' is? Ive heard the term mentioned a couple of times but not exactly sure what it is. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending