The Student Room Group

How to not let criticism get me so depressed?

I've always been extremely sensitive since I was very young, having had the nickname 'crybaby' all throughout primary school. Comments from bullies from ages ago still continue to make me feel low. I even get hurt when I hear criticism of others besides myself. I've tried to be strong, and I'm seeing 2 counsellors every week, but I just can't be strong. I would do anything to be strong. I just can't seem to get rid of my sensitivity, I've tried almost everything. Why am I like this? Argh, please help.
Reply 1
Some people are just more sensitive than others. I don't think there's anything you can really do to totally get rid of it - it might start to slowly go away with time..
Reply 2
Your counselors will know better than anyone on here. In my unqualified opinion, people who are sensitive to criticism often have a lack of self belief. You need to find things about yourself that you like, and are proud of. If you respect yourself, it's a lot easier to ignore criticism.
Original post by Anonymous
I've always been extremely sensitive since I was very young, having had the nickname 'crybaby' all throughout primary school. Comments from bullies from ages ago still continue to make me feel low. I even get hurt when I hear criticism of others besides myself. I've tried to be strong, and I'm seeing 2 counsellors every week, but I just can't be strong. I would do anything to be strong. I just can't seem to get rid of my sensitivity, I've tried almost everything. Why am I like this? Argh, please help.

Why does it bother you? Do you think that there's truth to it? Does it matter what these people think- is it going to actually hinder you in anyway?
Reply 4
CBT techniques can help ie you focus on the fact that thinking about bad experiences will have the knock-on effect of making you feel bad so you need to switch your thinking onto something else ie you have the choice as to whether or not to keep ruminating about the bad stuff

Appreciation of the good stuff that goes with being sensitive - you get far more out of nature, art, music etc than the average person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending