The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

what really interests me is Butler, who now have the chance to CREATE their stereotype, which I suspect, like all the other colleges, will stick with it for ever! I watch Butler with avid fascination, as they are the only ones with the opportunity to be who they want to be.

I think the stereotypes are a lot more flexible than you realise. They do change and quicker than you'd think. The reason that Hatfield's stereotype has persisted so long is probably because it only went co-ed in 1987, a couple of years after Castle, which also has a similar (but not as virulent) reputation. Marys also has a bad reputation, but I'm certain that that will change pretty soon.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 62
Mattmoy_2000
I think the stereotypes are a lot more flexible than you realise. They do change and quicker than you'd think. The reason that Hatfield's stereotype has persisted so long is probably because it only went co-ed in 1987, a couple of years after Castle, which also has a similar (but not as virulent) reputation. Marys also has a bad reputation, but I'm certain that that will change pretty soon.

yes i see your point. obviously mary's will change due to the male intake - they can't keep the lesbian/feminist stereotype for long now...at least not without asking some very worrying questions about the guys there... :confused: :biggrin:
Reply 63
ChrisH2107
Okey kokey. I'm a little confused, because you definately said originally that you see the stereotype as often the case, and now say you don't believe in it. Perhaps there's a fine line I didn't/don't see. I also didn't intend to insult you, I merely meant that the notion of the sterotype being accurate as someone's opinion, I personally find to be daft. I'm sorry you read it that way. :smile:

Exactly, I - and many others - see it to be the case. I just happen to know that its not because i have friends there. Its all to do with what is visible, and the image presented to other people. No worries about the insult, I see how you meant it now. :smile:

Well, that was fun :smile: though got a bit too dangerous at one point. :biggrin: still, s'all good!

Latest