The Student Room Group

GCSES!!

Hi
My GCSE exam are approaching and following the mocks, I have lost my confidence as my mocks didnt go well. My predicted grades are 4A* 2A 2B 2C.
Does anyone have any tips on how to increase confidence and cope with exam pressure as I've been studying like hell.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm in the same boat.

Set a schedule for yourself and stick with it -- don't make it crazy-difficult to keep up with, but
let it cover all of your topics in a manageable format. Say, two hours of revision per night - an
hour on two different topics. Set goals (one exam paper every other evening, 3 hrs of maths per week, etc).
Give yourself breaks and reward yourself. Try not to over-work - all standard protocol.

Decide how you revise best and then try all sorts of other revision techniques to experiment which
you think will work best:
mnemonic techniques, group revision, test papers, note-taking, by rote... whatever!

Also target your weaknesses - if you're great at the maths non-calc, you're wasting the time you could
be spending on the calculator paper. Likewise for any other subject - you're not actually improving by
going over the stuff you know best. It may feel good, but go through the hell of studying your least favourite
topics, and you'll go beyond what is expected of you.

That's all I can think of for now! I should take my own advice. Good luck!
J
Heya, firstly don't worry my mocks went awfully, from what you've said you are already studying hard so that's good, by doing practise questions and papers you can increase your confidence and by extension lessen the pressure. Also don't feel you have to spend the whole day revising because you'll only stress yourself out, stick to a timetable and have breaks every 1/2 hours so you can have some time for you, it will stop you going crazy :wink:. Good luck hun :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JadeDianna
I'm in the same boat.

Set a schedule for yourself and stick with it -- don't make it crazy-difficult to keep up with, but
let it cover all of your topics in a manageable format. Say, two hours of revision per night - an
hour on two different topics. Set goals (one exam paper every other evening, 3 hrs of maths per week, etc).
Give yourself breaks and reward yourself. Try not to over-work - all standard protocol.

Decide how you revise best and then try all sorts of other revision techniques to experiment which
you think will work best:
mnemonic techniques, group revision, test papers, note-taking, by rote... whatever!

Also target your weaknesses - if you're great at the maths non-calc, you're wasting the time you could
be spending on the calculator paper. Likewise for any other subject - you're not actually improving by
going over the stuff you know best. It may feel good, but go through the hell of studying your least favourite
topics, and you'll go beyond what is expected of you.

That's all I can think of for now! I should take my own advice. Good luck!
J

I know how to ace all of my subjects.. apart from history. Seriously I suck at history. Do i have to know so much or is it all about reasoning.
Reply 4
Original post by gavss
I know how to ace all of my subjects.. apart from history. Seriously I suck at history. Do i have to know so much or is it all about reasoning.

Well, the two papers require different skills.
Paper 1 will be a test of contextual knowledge - examiners like it if you name-drop, include dates and specific events within your 2 topics. You don't necessarily have to know each part inside-out, but if you have a brief understanding of factors, motives, dates/eras and people involved, then it should make paper one a tonne easier. It also needs you to take in the perspective of different bodies within that era (e.g. religious, secular, wealthy, poor, etc) and an evaluation of each. Consider why decisions were important to make and why it would have made sense to people in that specific century to make certain choices, considering progress, stagnation and regression.

For Paper 2, it's completely essential you learn the different types of questions they'll give you. An example of this is the 'Are you surprised by...?' question. For this one, the examiners like it if you include both sides of the argument - it's usually about 6-8 marks. Always have two or more perspectives for each of these paper 2 questions! This paper is less about content knowledge, but your ability to evaluate sources and to consider dates, reliability and authors while bringing in contextual knowledge and cross referencing all the while. X-referencing is so important if you want to get the higher marks.

Practice papers & exam questions may be boring as hell, but they'll help so much when you're sitting the exam.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JadeDianna
Well, the two papers require different skills.
Paper 1 will be a test of contextual knowledge - examiners like it if you name-drop, include dates and specific events within your 2 topics. You don't necessarily have to know each part inside-out, but if you have a brief understanding of factors, motives, dates/eras and people involved, then it should make paper one a tonne easier. It also needs you to take in the perspective of different bodies within that era (e.g. religious, secular, wealthy, poor, etc) and an evaluation of each. Consider why decisions were important to make and why it would have made sense to people in that specific century to make certain choices, considering progress, stagnation and regression.

For Paper 2, it's completely essential you learn the different types of questions they'll give you. An example of this is the 'Are you surprised by...?' question. For this one, the examiners like it if you include both sides of the argument - it's usually about 6-8 marks. Always have two or more perspectives for each of these paper 2 questions! This paper is less about content knowledge, but your ability to evaluate sources and to consider dates, reliability and authors while bringing in contextual knowledge and cross referencing all the while. X-referencing is so important if you want to get the higher marks.

Practice papers & exam questions may be boring as hell, but they'll help so much when you're sitting the exam.

I'm happy to answer any other questions. :smile:

My exam board is edexcel so i'm sure my paper might be set out differently
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by gavss
My exam board is edexcel so i'm sure my paper might be set out differently

I tried :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest