The Student Room Group

Why do some girls wear revealing clothes and then get angry at unwanted attention?

I don't intend to offend anyone but why is it that many girls in today's society choose to wear revealing clothes (very short skirts, low neck tops etc.) and then get annoyed when perverted men in the street wolf whistle and try to harass them? Like today for example, I was at the mall and this girl started insulting this dude for 'staring at her breasts' when she chose to wear a low neck top? Surely, if she didn't want such attention, she wouldn't have worn that top? This isn't the first time i've witnessed something like that in public and just curious as to why some women act like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh they want attention, but only from the right people.
Original post by joseon

Surely the right people prefer a little modesty?
Welcome to the world of the female mind, good luck understanding any of it
Reply 4
Original post by Secretnerd123
Surely the right people prefer a little modesty?

Not necessarily. When I say the 'right' people I simply mean people who the wearer deems to be attractive.
Reply 5
(Relatively) revealing clothing isn't a free pass to cat-call and harass people.
Original post by joseon

^This

It's perfectly acceptable to ogle at women in revealing clothing if your an "alpha male", but if they don't like you, you're suddenly some creepy perverted virgin who has no respect for women. (As opposed to said "alpha males", who see women as a place to stick their penis).

Just my 2p on the matter.
Reply 7
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Because I think the top looks nice? To be honest, I feel more awkward about having my shoulders exposed, I have a few tops that are quite low, they don't show any cleavage (because there's not that much to show), but you can see my collarbone and stuff (and apparently collarbone fetishes are a thing?) but I don't really feel like I'm revealing much by wearing them because I've usually got a cardigan on as well. Also in summer I like to wear dresses and not wear tights because it's hot and if it's sunny in Britain and I can get away with it, you bet I'll take advantage. Doesn't mean I want to be treated like a sex object. Or if you're going to comment, do it tastefully, like "You have nice legs", not "Phwoar, I'd do her" kind of thing. Not that anyone's done that (as far as I know), but I wouldn't enjoy it if they did.

Also, for girls who've got larger breasts, it's pretty damn hard for them to wear anything other than turtlenecks without some kind of cleavage showing, so there's no need for people to act like they're just doing it for male attention, why can't they have nice clothes too?

pics or gtfo
Original post by alexschmalex
Welcome to the world of the female mind, good luck understanding any of it

I'm a female myself and it confuses me from time to time too :lol:
Reply 9
Why do some girls wear revealing clothes and then get angry at unwanted attention?

- how is it not obvious to you, when you identified it in your initial question? O.o

I wear pretty modest clothing all year round, but when it gets really hot, I dread wearing my summer dresses - even though I love them! I wish I could just put them on and love the fact that I know I look good in them, I'm not boiling up beneath a cardigan, etc. But I can't, because of unwanted attention. Why should anyone have to wear something they don't really want to wear, just because some strangers can't respect another human?! It doesn't matter what the stranger looks like to me - I don't wear anything for anyone apart from myself and occasionally my partner in my day-to-day, and it feels like violation when the attention comes just because I've taken the risk to wear a particularly nice top that might be reveal something inadvertently.

Surely it matters more that people think their cat calling and 'endearing' insults and come-ons are more important than the feelings of others, than what you're suggesting - i.e someone should just 'not wear a top' if it's revealing, despite them perhaps loving how it fits, feels, looks, etc?
Reply 10
As above; it is for attention and to look nice. Blatant staring and crude gestures are unnecessary though.
Original post by r_u_jelly
pics or gtfo

How about "This is the internet, I'm not doing it?"
Reply 12
*sigh* why is it that women are expected to put up with such sexual harassment because of what they wear? Maybe I would want to wear a slightly shorter skirt or tighter top or whatever because I like it and not because I want any kind of male attention. It isn't our fault we are females, so why should we all be expected to dress in a way that avoids such harassment? This is where attitudes like "she was dressed that way so she should have expected to get assaulted/raped(worst case scenario here)" come from... It's ridiculous.
This is the sort of rhetoric that evolves into victim blaming. As has already been said, wearing revealing clothing doesn't mean men have the right to sexually harass women. In a free society, I should retain the right to not be harassed regardless of what I wear. The idea that women should be forced to be modest (or otherwise suffer sexual aggression) is barbaric.
Original post by r_u_jelly
If you do have big boobs pm me and we can discuss further

I don't. In fact I said the opposite.
Reply 15
Original post by Paralove
*sigh* why is it that women are expected to put up with such sexual harassment because of what they wear? Maybe I would want to wear a slightly shorter skirt or tighter top or whatever because I like it and not because I want any kind of male attention. It isn't our fault we are females, so why should we all be expected to dress in a way that avoids such harassment? This is where attitudes like "she was dressed that way so she should have expected to get assaulted/raped(worst case scenario here)" come from... It's ridiculous.

No-one said anything about rape... bit reaching there..
TBH by it's very nature wearing something because it looks nice inevitably invited others to see as such imo.
If we're going for comfort, then you would wear a jogsuit. Sorry but there is no reason why revealing clothes are more comfortable than modest ones.
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I don't. In fact I said the opposite.

Did you think of getting implants?
Original post by andrew2209
^This

It's perfectly acceptable to ogle at women in revealing clothing if your an "alpha male", but if they don't like you, you're suddenly some creepy perverted virgin who has no respect for women. (As opposed to said "alpha males", who see women as a place to stick their penis).

Just my 2p on the matter.

I don't want attractive guys to ogle me either.
Wearing something isn't an invitation for sexual harassment

Latest