The Student Room Group

Hull-York Medical School Offer Holders 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Niamh258
Trying to make me feel better for being terrified? :P do you enjoy PBL? :smile:

Hey it's natural to be terrified for a med school interview! :P I love PBL because I love my group to bits! We all get on and have a laugh during sessions! The work's alright too...but weeks vary massively!
Reply 181
Original post by Larry31
Hey it's natural to be terrified for a med school interview! :P I love PBL because I love my group to bits! We all get on and have a laugh during sessions! The work's alright too...but weeks vary massively!

They should pay you for this, you really sell Hull York lol was everyone
nervous when you's first got there?
Reply 182
Original post by Niamh258
They should pay you for this, you really sell Hull York lol was everyone
nervous when you's first got there?

xD I wish! Nah I just like to share my experiences because I've had such a great time here! It would be a shame for people to miss out on such an awesome environment :P
Yeah everyone was terrified! But we all soon warmed up to each other and now we're a massively close year group :smile:
Reply 183
Original post by Larry31
xD I wish! Nah I just like to share my experiences because I've had such a great time here! It would be a shame for people to miss out on such an awesome environment :P
Yeah everyone was terrified! But we all soon warmed up to each other and now we're a massively close year group :smile:

Shame lol aww that sounds great! I hope if I get in everyone's as nice and friendly as you :smile:
Reply 184
Original post by Larry31
Yeah I can't imagine they'll have a problem...if anything it looks higher spec than the classic ii SE :P Hehe that would be telling :wink: Medsoc are planning it but I doubt you'll find out till you get here to keep the anticipation alive :wink:

Ah I feel like I really need to watch House!! :O Everyone talks about it and I'm there like 'Whaa?'...that'll be a task for Easter in between frantic revision!
Yeah it's actually still weird xD but something that I've been getting more and more used to :P

Oh I don't mean specifically what's planned. I was just trying to get a general sense like what you got to do in your time etc. I've already gone through Frosh once and I'm excited to see what other schools are like! :biggrin: :biggrin:

House is fun and more diagnostic based, which is cool because you get to see the whole patient interaction/analysis/assessment side of things. It was SO DIFFICULT to stick with near the end though! How long are the breaks? I was reading about accommodations and apparently most students vacate during Easter and there's an option to pay more to stay? I'm just curious because that makes it sound like Easter is super long. And on a related question: Some of the York colleges like Alcuin and Derwent offer different let lengths, so how many weeks would we sign up for in HYMS? Thanks Larry!
Reply 185
Original post by Charlston
Oh I don't mean specifically what's planned. I was just trying to get a general sense like what you got to do in your time etc. I've already gone through Frosh once and I'm excited to see what other schools are like! :biggrin: :biggrin:

House is fun and more diagnostic based, which is cool because you get to see the whole patient interaction/analysis/assessment side of things. It was SO DIFFICULT to stick with near the end though! How long are the breaks? I was reading about accommodations and apparently most students vacate during Easter and there's an option to pay more to stay? I'm just curious because that makes it sound like Easter is super long. And on a related question: Some of the York colleges like Alcuin and Derwent offer different let lengths, so how many weeks would we sign up for in HYMS? Thanks Larry!

Oh good! I thought you were trying to get insider info :wink: Generally there's loads and loads of intro talks and form filling and all that jazz. Then obviously you have the main events :P

Right major accommodation rule...do NOT sign up for the shortest lets...always go for the 40 week let because the HYMS term runs into the normal uni Easter holidays...e.g. on of my flatmates finished uni tomorrow for Easter, but we don't finish till the 2nd April :O I think Christmas is around 2 weeks, Easter is around 3 weeks and Summer is probably around 10 weeks? :s-smilie:
Reply 186
Original post by Larry31
Oh good! I thought you were trying to get insider info :wink: Generally there's loads and loads of intro talks and form filling and all that jazz. Then obviously you have the main events :P

Right major accommodation rule...do NOT sign up for the shortest lets...always go for the 40 week let because the HYMS term runs into the normal uni Easter holidays...e.g. on of my flatmates finished uni tomorrow for Easter, but we don't finish till the 2nd April :O I think Christmas is around 2 weeks, Easter is around 3 weeks and Summer is probably around 10 weeks? :s-smilie:

Wait, so Easter holiday in the UK is like an actual lengthy break? Do you resume after Easter? Then is the school year divided into 3 terms?
I'm just asking because in North America we just have 2 semesters with only a winter break lasting about 2 weeks between semesters and MAYBE a Reading Week in the spring. (We get a 4-month summer though.) It's strange thinking that there will be a random break plopped in the middle haha. :biggrin: Just trying to orientate myself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 187
Wait, so Easter holiday in the UK is like an actual lengthy break? Do you resume after Easter? Then is the school year divided into 3 terms?
I'm just asking because in North America we just have 2 semesters with only a winter break lasting about 2 weeks between semesters and MAYBE a Reading Week in the spring. (We get a 4-month summer though.) It's strange thinking that there will be a random break plopped in the middle haha. :biggrin: Just trying to orientate myself. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the year here is divided into 3 terms for the first two years. In years 3 and 4 you get a reading week instead of an Easter break I believe. When we come back after Easter this year we have one more block to go and then exams :smile:
No problem, it will take a little bit of time to adjust :smile:
Reply 188
Original post by Larry31

You're getting me so damn excited! Thank you :tongue:
Reply 189
Original post by jimmymacmog

Mission accomplished :wink:
Original post by jimmymacmog

Eeeeeek its soooooo exciting!!!
I just wish Leicester would reply so I can get on with firming etc!
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 191
Original post by g.k.galloway
Eeeeeek its soooooo exciting!!!
I just wish Leicester would reply so I can get on with firming etc!
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If a school hasn't responded, then would you be able to withdraw from them so you can firm HYMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 192
If a school hasn't responded, then would you be able to withdraw from them so you can firm HYMS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes u can. Brighton had already rejected me but it wouldnt come on track until march 10th, so i withdrew and firmed hyms

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah you can, I just want to know their response!
Reply 194
Original post by g.k.galloway
yeah you can, I just want to know their response!

Out of curiosity (because I'm not too clear on how UCAS works), would it matter what their response is if you're going to firm HYMS anyways?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 195
For York, whats the best colleges to apply for other than Alcuin?
Reply 196
Original post by 07ruffs
For York, whats the best colleges to apply for other than Alcuin?

Depends what you're after really...

Alcuin: So close to HYMS that you can roll out of bed into the lecture theatre within 5 mins. However there isn't any bar or social area so it's not known as the most social college.

Derwent: Has the benefit of being the most social college in York. Accommodation is a bit dated and you kinda need a fetish for concrete if you want to live there :wink: However it is a popular choice amongst medics and there are 2 bars which is admittedly pretty cool.

James: Don't know many medics in James but it is known as the sporty college because it's right next to the gym. Seems like a nice enough place but on the other side of campus so a 10-15 min walk to HYMS :smile:

Vanbrugh: I don't know enough about Vanbrugh and there are only a couple of medics there, but it has a reputation for music. Kinda spread out over a lot of places.

Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine: Too far away xD

Halifax: Nice looking place. Quite far away but a couple of my close medic friends live there and love it. They have to bike it in though because it's too far to walk for them :P

Wentworth: Grad only...
Reply 197
Original post by Larry31

Alcuin: So close to HYMS that you can roll out of bed into the lecture theatre within 5 mins. However there isn't any bar or social area so it's not known as the most social college.

Derwent: Has the benefit of being the most social college in York. Accommodation is a bit dated and you kinda need a fetish for concrete if you want to live there :wink: However it is a popular choice amongst medics and there are 2 bars which is admittedly pretty cool.

James: Don't know many medics in James but it is known as the sporty college because it's right next to the gym. Seems like a nice enough place but on the other side of campus so a 10-15 min walk to HYMS :smile:

Vanbrugh: I don't know enough about Vanbrugh and there are only a couple of medics there, but it has a reputation for music. Kinda spread out over a lot of places.

Halifax: Nice looking place. Quite far away but a couple of my close medic friends live there and love it. They have to bike it in though because it's too far to walk for them :P

thanks that's really helpful!
Reply 198
Original post by 07ruffs
thanks that's really helpful!

Hehe no problem! Most medics seem to end up in either Alcuin or Derwent :smile: You'd be happy at any though probably :smile:
Reply 199
Original post by Larry31

Wow! Thanks Larry! How are the blocks in Derwent set up? I tried looking for a map online but couldn't really find one. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending