The Student Room Group

Hull-York Medical School Offer Holders 2014

Scroll to see replies

Do HYMS students have a reading week, if so what dates does it fall on?
Reply 301
Original post by jameshugh
Do HYMS students have a reading week, if so what dates does it fall on?

Hi,
You don't actually have weeks which are labelled 'reading weeks' in first year. You do have a couple of weeks after teaching finishes in the summer term and before the first exam. And then the exams are quite spread out so you have a week between a lot of them.
As for exact dates these won't be published until you get there. But the summer term usually finishes in mid May and the last exam will be towards the end of June.
Original post by ab192
Hi,
You don't actually have weeks which are labelled 'reading weeks' in first year. You do have a couple of weeks after teaching finishes in the summer term and before the first exam. And then the exams are quite spread out so you have a week between a lot of them.
As for exact dates these won't be published until you get there. But the summer term usually finishes in mid May and the last exam will be towards the end of June.

Ah brilliant, I understand what you mean, thanks for clarifying it.
One more question: week of 22nd is HYMS freshers but the following week is the undergrad freshers. Do HYMS students have two freshers weeks or have we started the course by that time?
Original post by jameshugh
Ah brilliant, I understand what you mean, thanks for clarifying it.
One more question: week of 22nd is HYMS freshers but the following week is the undergrad freshers. Do HYMS students have two freshers weeks or have we started the course by that time?

You will have started the course by that time. I think you officially begin on the Thursday of your freshers week (so the 25th) :smile: you can still get involved in the uni freshers if you want though! There's nothing to stop you from doing the evening events :smile:
Original post by Larry31
You will have started the course by that time. I think you officially begin on the Thursday of your freshers week (so the 25th) :smile: you can still get involved in the uni freshers if you want though! There's nothing to stop you from doing the evening events :smile:

What is self-directed learning?
Reply 305
Original post by games211
What is self-directed learning?

This is just when you're supposed to learn by yourself (by reading books etc.). You'll have a lot of these in your timetables when you get them but it's like a free period at school basically.
Original post by ab192
This is just when you're supposed to learn by yourself (by reading books etc.). You'll have a lot of these in your timetables when you get them but it's like a free period at school basically.

So i can go home if its on a friday?
Reply 307
Original post by games211
So i can go home if its on a friday?

Absolutely:smile:
In fact the only things that have compulsory attendance at HYMS in the first two years are PBL, clinical skills and placement. On Fridays there are only lectures in the first year so you could just have a three day weekend basically.
do we have an accomodation facebook page up and running?
Has anyone had any info or any offers for bursaries or scholarships from York yet? Or does anyone know when offer letters are sent out? Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh my goodness i'm getting so excited now :biggrin:
could someone explain how hull york messed up there interview/offers this year? I've heard something bad happened?
Original post by Larry31

Hi Larry! I was just wondering if you knew the procedure to apply to become a student ambassador/ helper at HYMS interviews? I was sent an email from the open day team about applying to work as a steward however I am not free on the days they require and was wondering if not being to apply for this job would mean I could not do any of the events or become a student ambassador? Thank you for the help! See you in September! (I'll be at York too :biggrin:)
Original post by bluepanda123
Hi Larry! I was just wondering if you knew the procedure to apply to become a student ambassador/ helper at HYMS interviews? I was sent an email from the open day team about applying to work as a steward however I am not free on the days they require and was wondering if not being to apply for this job would mean I could not do any of the events or become a student ambassador? Thank you for the help! See you in September! (I'll be at York too :biggrin:)

Hi! Well last year we got sent an email round asking for helpers. I think they were pretty much on a first come first served basis so you have to be quick! The open day steward thing is for York Uni rather than HYMS. Their ambassadors don't deal with HYMS specific events like the interviews and widening participation events. If you can do it, then definitely apply! I was at a couple of the HYMS interviews in York back in January, and it is a really good experience :smile: I hope that helps! Can't wait to meet you all in a couple of weeks time! I'll be at the Parent's night during freshers, so if you spot me then come up and say hi! :smile:
Original post by Larry31
Hi! Well last year we got sent an email round asking for helpers. I think they were pretty much on a first come first served basis so you have to be quick! The open day steward thing is for York Uni rather than HYMS. Their ambassadors don't deal with HYMS specific events like the interviews and widening participation events. If you can do it, then definitely apply! I was at a couple of the HYMS interviews in York back in January, and it is a really good experience :smile: I hope that helps! Can't wait to meet you all in a couple of weeks time! I'll be at the Parent's night during freshers, so if you spot me then come up and say hi! :smile:

Thank you so much Larry! That definitely helps! I'll keep an eye out for an email then! Looking forward to meeting you all too! Excited for freshers! :biggrin:
Thank you so much Larry! That definitely helps! I'll keep an eye out for an email then! Looking forward to meeting you all too! Excited for freshers! :biggrin:

No worries! The email probably won't be any time soon mind so I wouldn't hold your breath xD Haha fresher's is gonna be epic! :biggrin:
Original post by Larry31
No worries! The email probably won't be any time soon mind so I wouldn't hold your breath xD Haha fresher's is gonna be epic! :biggrin:

Haha that's ok! At least I know how it works now, thank you! Ahhh I know! All the events look amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha that's ok! At least I know how it works now, thank you! Ahhh I know! All the events look amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're going to have a great time!!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending